Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Travelling for 3 days - do I need to check a bag?

amother

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 7:16 am
I am going to a conference for 3 days. Anyone who travels a lot for this type of thing, do you think I will manage if I do not check in luggage? it costs extra to check in bags, plus there is the extra time to line up and check it in, wheras if I travel with just a small pull along suitcase, I can check in online and go straight to the gate.

zaq

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 4:39 pm
U staying in hotel? call to find out what toiletries they supply so you don't take those. what about food? if u don't need to bring food and can pack toiletries into tiny travel-size containers all of which fit into one quart-size ziplok bag, you're good to go. if you plan to bring anything like peanut butter, jelly, beverage it will have 2B checked. otherwise if u pack tight and selectively u can easily get away with 1 carryon suitcase. select a color scheme, like black or navy, white and red or beige, brown and orange, wear one skirt and pack the other, wear one jacket or vest and pack the other, consider washing the shirt you wore on day 1 and drip-drying in bathroom, then iron and wear again on last day. bring a vinyl-coated wire hanger to drip-dry shirt b/c most hotel hangers are on special holders and have no hooks. hotels all have irons and boards as well as blow dryers, if not in room ask housekeeping but almost all have in room. stuff hose, undies in shoes and corners of suitcase, if packing metal silverware put on top of suitcase so immediately accessible to security but make sure knife is very dull or pack plastic. Have a safe trip and remember to bring tefillat haderech. Expect to be patted down if wearing skirt and/or hat, insist on patdown in private.

acccdac

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 5:00 pm
only you can be the judge of that but I will say that I just made a trip for 5 days to NY with 3 kids and my dh and we were there for over a shabbos and I packed all of us into 3 rollies and 1 backpack.

you just have to pack wisely, wear the pair of shoes that you will wear the whole time (although I must say I ended up taking slippers - not chinesse flat ones - shabbos heals - and sneakers). No one will be paying attention to what you are wearing so bring one skirt and 3 tops to go with it, you may actaully have extra space to pack a second skirt.

if you have any specific questions PM me and I can help you along with your packing.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 5:12 pm
I presume you meant 2 nights/3 days, rather than 3 nights. It's perfectly doable to travel with only one carry-on, I used to do it fairly frequently. The trick is to minimise change of clothes & shoes, which take up much more space than toiletaries. My basic packing strategy is to wear a suit (jacket+skirt), pack a spare skirt, plus 2 blouses/t-shirts (something thin) for each days. You can use scarves and accessories to change the colour/make the outlook a bit more interesting without taking up space. I usually manage with 1 pair of shoes (low-heel dressy ones) that I wear so no shoes in the luggage. Transfer make-up remover/contact lens solution etc into travel-size bottle all of which must be under 3oz each and needs to fit into 1 zip-lock bag. (Most of my make-up goes into a handbag anyway). If you're staying the same hotel for 3 days, you can further minimise by washing one pair of underwear (ie just carry one change).

I agree availability of kosher food does make difference to the amount of luggage. Also I'm assuming you don't have to bring a laptop which takes up space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics