Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
HAS ANYONE EVER PUT THEIR CHILD IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL?
1  2  Next

shayna

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 6:27 pm
I had to put my son in a public school from the age of 6 because our yeshiva does not have the resources to help him, and the other yeshiva would not take him unless we put him on Ritilin (which was not recommended). He is now 12 and hopefully they are trying to open a jewish high school for boys like my son in my area. If not he will have to go to a public high school which is very different then a elementary. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Tefila

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 8:02 pm
Shayna my heart goes out to you.
There must be a Jewish school somewhere, someplace that will accept your child w/out ritalin even if you might have to move.
An innocent neshama here is at risk of b/coming influenced to outside forces.
Speaking from experiance w/h someone I knew growing up Crying Crying Crying

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 5:28 am
shayna, do you live in canada?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 6:53 am
I have a cousin who went to the BY program (here in brooklyn) in Public school. It was actually meant for Jewish kids who had ADD, ADHD or disabled. Unfortunately many lubavitch schools can NOT deal with these types of children.

shayna

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 8:44 am
Actually, here in montreal the girls school has a few resource rooms where they get the extra help. The boys school does not. I find Lubavitch to be supporting with this problem, they just do'nt have the funds. It is not just Lubavith the other school which is not Lubavitch insists that any child in their resourse room MUST take ritilin Crying

yes, I live in Montreal

Last edited by shayna on Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 8:54 am
Quote:
The boys school does not. I find Lubavitch to be supporting with this problem, they just do'nt have the funds.

Can't they apply for a grant for these type of children sure he's not the only one, and why do they insist he's on ritalin what about natural or different measures Confused

shayna

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:04 am
The ritilin is from the other school (not Lubavitch) Regarding the boys school, that is why I put him in public school. My son is not ADD, ADHD his reading was not up to par at the time and hebrew, french, and english was to much.
Not enough children are sighned up for the secular department to have a resource room.
Beth Rivkah has a wonderful resource room because everyone goes to secular department. There are many families working on this problem just takes a long time.
Thank G-d my son is doing well in public school I just worry about High School a whole new ball game. Confused

He is not the only child, but many parents don't want to admit there is a problem.

raizy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:10 pm
I hope the new school opens up. also I didnt know that the other school insists on everyone being on ritelien is that true.??
my friend has a son who is also in semi puplic school. I think its tt talmud torha . I am not sure the name but they have a class for these kind of children and it is better then puplic school.

shayna

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 10:32 pm
The name of the yeshiva is Yeshiva Gedola and it is 100% very frum, the woman who runs the resource room insists on ritilin, I found out if your child is in resource they need to be on ritilin. I don't know why she is even allowed to work there.

When I said but my only other choice is public school. She said that would be my decision shock

There is a G-D in the world and I believe it will all work out.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 11:10 pm
is it her demand or the official rule of the government agency sponcoring the program?

shayna

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 10:40 am
her demand, and the principal won't hear what you have to say she is considered a profesional and they listen to her. I don't think she has credentials, she has just been there a long time.

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 2:03 pm
What about speaking to other proffessionals and garnering more articles to prove your point then to show it to the principal.
He will then have proof that there is something wrong w/h not taking in your child maybe arrange a major meeting and pray . What do you have to lose What

shayna

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 3:28 am
It is 6 years later, and he is finishing elementary next year from public school. I have approached the head principal 6 yrs ago and 4 years ago with a phsycologist and the principal was not interested in listening, It was not a Lubavitch school therefore they were not going to do me any favors since my son was coming from Lubavitch. It is unfortunate that children suffer b/c of pigheaded adults. After the physcologist spoke with the school committee 4 yrs ago she told me the enviroment would be bad for him and he would not do well there b/c of the school's attitude towards an outsider, she seemed a little shocked by her meeting even though I tried to prepare her.

My son thrived in public school and is now only a year behind in reading, and he has a tutor for chumash, parsha, and davening. I only fear public high school and hope the woman trying to open the alternative school will be a success!

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:08 pm
Shayna,

I had a problem when I wanted to send my son to Yeled V'yalda in New York. We took him for an interview and the 2 woman in charge said he's to hyper and he would not be accepted under any circumstances.

Well I'm not one to take things like that especially after an interview which lasted half hour and was in a tiny room full of things to touch.

I went over there heads and got him in it was the best thing I did now he's B'H thriving and loves it.

Motekk

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 2:15 pm
Quote:
Well I'm not one to take things like that especially after an interview which lasted half hour and was in a tiny room full of things to touch.

I went over there heads and got him in it was the best thing I did now he's B'H thriving and loves it.

GOOD FOR YOU and KOL HAKOVOD Very Happy !!!!!!!!!

Rivka

Post Sat, Mar 26 2005, 7:41 pm
I hope the new school opens up, it would probably help alot of people.
I don't know what I would do about public school, it is a very hard decision.
I hope it works out for you.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:17 am
shayna wrote:
My son thrived in public school and is now only a year behind in reading, and he has a tutor for chumash, parsha, and davening. I only fear public high school and hope the woman trying to open the alternative school will be a success!

shayna - this is such a very difficult situation to be in, for both you and your son! Please take the following comments in the spirit they are intended, I.e. exclusively for the spiritual welfare of your son

I asked someone who is experienced in chinuch, who has guided and counseled numerous parents and their children, about your situation.

He feels VERY STRONGLY that public high school is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

I asked: but what should she do? who says she can pick up and move?

he said: then she MUST HOMESCHOOL!

Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:31 am
Quote:
[quote="he said: then she MUST HOMESCHOOL!
[/quote]

Ha! that's easier said than done!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:33 am
Pearl wrote:
Ha! that's easier said than done!!!

nobody claimed it's easy

raising children isn't easy

there's tzaar gidul banim

another thought - shayna, would you consider sending your son out of town to a yeshiva that meets his needs?

Last edited by Motek on Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 8:34 am
Hmmm...homeschooling a special needs child is not so simple. I would imagine one must be trained for this and have the patience and ability to do it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics