Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Help!!!How do you make GOOD rice?
Previous  1  2  3

lucky

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 12:41 pm
I spread it on a white plate and just look through it. not exactly grain by grain, but it needs youe total concentration.

matha

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 5:17 am
I was at a catered party and there was a delicious rice.... my friend and I were talking and she told me she gave the caterer the recipe cuz he once ate her house......
its fool proof -its made in the oven

1 cup rice
2 cups water
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp onion soup mix
1 big onion diced

(optional)
1 red pepper diced
6 oz mushrooms
baby corn
water chestnuts

Directions:
put it all in oven proof dish
COVER well (with silver foil)
bake for one hour at 350

DELICIUOSS!!!!!

LikeMeDoes

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 11:04 am
I find that using a good quality rice (like Uncle Ben's) makes a big difference.
I do one measure rice to 3 measures water. When almost all the water is gone, I turn off the flame, cover the pot and let it sit. Comes out great.
Re: Rice recipies, the mushroom and rice cassarole recipe in the Spice & Spirit is great. I leave out the marg and cook for longer then it says there.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 11:11 am
I was told by the mashgiach of our badatz that (even partially) pre-cooked rice should not be used. Presumably it's a issue of bishul yisroel.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 7:19 am
I live in a place where it's common to find bugs in local bought grains, etc.
When you open a package and you see bugs crawling, it is because you already bought it infested...just get rid of the infested package and your bug problem will be solved. After my entire cupboard was crawling with bugs, I finally found the problem to be barley...I chucked the barley...and my closet is clean.

I have a great rice recipe as well...

sauteed onions and carrots, add chickpeas and raisins mix well, add spices; salt, pepper and cumin...add rice, mix, add water..

I find adding boiling water helps, and shutting off the flame a minute or two early and letting the pot sit covered results in delicious, fluffy rice!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes