Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
6 Year Old who Always vomits. Help!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:19 pm
I am getting very nervous regarding one of my kids.

She vomits. Not for any particular reason. Sometimes its 1-2 times per week. Sometimes she wont vomit for a few weeks at a time. If there is something she is very nervous about that she doesnt want to go to, she will vomit there. She is a shy child who freezes in Social situations.

Alot of times on Shabbos when I put her to sleep before/after Shabbos is over, she vomits after sleeping for 2-3 hours.

She always gets back to herself within 5-10 minutes.

She is B"H growing/gaining weight. Her Blood is fine.

The mess is driving me crazy. It is also embarrasing. Who wants a kid vomiting in the middle of a Bar Mitzvah, as we dont always make it to a bathroom.

Does anyone have a kid like this? She also has a huge gag reflex and is very sensitive to offensive odors.

Someone Please Help Me!

obagys

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:26 pm
I don't have anything helpful to say, but I can sympathize. I have a child that also vomits frequently. As a baby she had horrible reflux that didn't seem to actually bother her, but she was constantly spitting up to the point that I would saying throwing up. Projectile vomit at times even. Her entire neck and chest had a permanent rash for the first 1/2 year at least because she was always spitting up so, so much.

Fast forward about 9 years. Same child vomits after being very active (even if she is well hydrated), after a really long day, in the car, when she is nervous, and for just about any reason. Thankfully, she is very good about getting to the bathroom or a garbage can. She'll say "I have to throw up" and then really do so in the next minute. There will be no warning beforehand and she feels fine after.

I spoke to the doctor about it and he had absolutely no clue why she would be that way. B"H she is an otherwise healthy child. So I'm just as puzzled as you!

avimom

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:30 pm
My five year old does the same thing!!! If he gets upset or starts crying or runs too much (or a dozen other reasons) he just throws up. It has become a joke in the family- don't start up with him or he'll throw up on you! He threw up at my nephews bar mitzvah in front of the bimah, in the grocery store on a busy eruv shabbos shopping trip, and in the entrance way at my niece's kiddush.... embarrassed
The doctor says he has an immature something or other (I insisted on a full work-up by a gastro after being completely fed up last summer) and that he'll grow out of it. Truth is, he's gotten much better. Now, when he starts to get overly upset about something and is about to really cry (like a tantrum, not something reasonable) we tell him that if he throws up he's going to have to clean it up himself. We only had to make good on this threat once and since then he's been much more careful about calming himself down and taking a drink. We have found that giving him a lot of water really helps, especially when he;s going to be in a nervous situation or when he's running a lot. We carry water bottles and plastic bags everywhere :-)

amother

obagys wrote:
I don't have anything helpful to say, but I can sympathize. I have a child that also vomits frequently. As a baby she had horrible reflux that didn't seem to actually bother her, but she was constantly spitting up to the point that I would saying throwing up. Projectile vomit at times even. Her entire neck and chest had a permanent rash for the first 1/2 year at least because she was always spitting up so, so much.

Fast forward about 9 years. Same child vomits after being very active (even if she is well hydrated), after a really long day, in the car, when she is nervous, and for just about any reason. Thankfully, she is very good about getting to the bathroom or a garbage can. She'll say "I have to throw up" and then really do so in the next minute. There will be no warning beforehand and she feels fine after.

I spoke to the doctor about it and he had absolutely no clue why she would be that way. B"H she is an otherwise healthy child. So I'm just as puzzled as you!

Thats so interesting because this kid has reflux as kid as well! Misery loves company, I guess!

life'sgreat

My son who is 5.5 is the same way. He vomits when he gets really scared, or if he's very nervous, or if he gets hurt badly. He vomits if he cries a lot (which often happens when he's scared or got hurt badly) and sometimes vomits if he jumps after eating, or is super active after drinking/eating. He'll also vomit if he eats a bit more than his normal portion size.

I taught him to try and control it until he reaches the bathroom and thankfully he can mostly do so. I also learnt to pick up on cues that he might vomit shortly. Sometimes he swallows a few times before it comes, and that's enough for me to quickly steer him to the bathroom. If he's really very scared, I will take him to the bathroom in case he ends up vomiting.

I discussed it with the pediatrician and he said there's no reason to worry (after asking some questions) and that just like there are people that either get constipated or the opposite when they are nervous, this is how my child responds.

Have you discussed it with her pedi?

avimom

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:31 pm
Oh yeah, and I kind of sympathize with him because I always vomited as a kid (and still do...)

amother

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:34 pm
avimom wrote:
My five year old does the same thing!!! If he gets upset or starts crying or runs too much (or a dozen other reasons) he just throws up. It has become a joke in the family- don't start up with him or he'll throw up on you! He threw up at my nephews bar mitzvah in front of the bimah, in the grocery store on a busy eruv shabbos shopping trip, and in the entrance way at my niece's kiddush.... embarrassed
The doctor says he has an immature something or other (I insisted on a full work-up by a gastro after being completely fed up last summer) and that he'll grow out of it. Truth is, he's gotten much better. Now, when he starts to get overly upset about something and is about to really cry (like a tantrum, not something reasonable) we tell him that if he throws up he's going to have to clean it up himself. We only had to make good on this threat once and since then he's been much more careful about calming himself down and taking a drink. We have found that giving him a lot of water really helps, especially when he;s going to be in a nervous situation or when he's running a lot. We carry water bottles and plastic bags everywhere :-)

OP here- I am so excited that I am not the only one. After this kid threw up today at a bar mitzvah, I caught the first vomit in my hands (sorry TMI!), as I didnt have any idea where the bathroom was. The rest of the vomit ended up on the floor of the bathroom and the garbage can, both of which I cleaned up, and herself. I am literally going nuts. On Shabbos how can I walk around with bags if there is no eruv? Must I sit at home with this child forever? shock

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:36 pm
avimom wrote:

It's so interesting what you say about him needing to drink a lot. My son actually vomits if he drinks too much.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:36 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
My son who is 5.5 is the same way. He vomits when he gets really scared, or if he's very nervous, or if he gets hurt badly. He vomits if he cries a lot (which often happens when he's scared or got hurt badly) and sometimes vomits if he jumps after eating, or is super active after drinking/eating. He'll also vomit if he eats a bit more than his normal portion size.

I taught him to try and control it until he reaches the bathroom and thankfully he can mostly do so. I also learnt to pick up on cues that he might vomit shortly. Sometimes he swallows a few times before it comes, and that's enough for me to quickly steer him to the bathroom. If he's really very scared, I will take him to the bathroom in case he ends up vomiting.

I discussed it with the pediatrician and he said there's no reason to worry (after asking some questions) and that just like there are people that either get constipated or the opposite when they are nervous, this is how my child responds.

He doesnt seem phased- he said DC is gaining weight and growing, and that it is totally normal for a kid to vomit from getting nervous. He said some kids faint when they get nervous. But what/how causes these kids to do this so often and how do you all manage in public situations?

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
avimom wrote:

OP here- I am so excited that I am not the only one. After this kid threw up today at a bar mitzvah, I caught the first vomit in my hands (sorry TMI!), as I didnt have any idea where the bathroom was. The rest of the vomit ended up on the floor of the bathroom and the garbage can, both of which I cleaned up, and herself. I am literally going nuts. On Shabbos how can I walk around with bags if there is no eruv? Must I sit at home with this child forever? shock

I think you should try to teach your daughter to pick up on the signs that she might vomit shortly and that can give her time to find a bathroom.

Also, when my son cries/tantrums, I sometimes tell him that if he doesn't calm down, he'll vomit. That helps him calm down sometimes and we do avoid him vomiting.

life'sgreat

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:40 pm
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

He doesnt seem phased- he said DC is gaining weight and growing, and that it is totally normal for a kid to vomit from getting nervous. He said some kids faint when they get nervous. But what/how causes these kids to do this so often and how do you all manage in public situations?

My son hates it when he vomits, so sometimes telling him he'll vomit if he eats more/doesn't calm down etc... helps in stopping it in its tracks. Last week he got hurt very badly in the grocery and was crying hysterically. I was at a loss as the womens bathroom was literally at the other end of the huge store and I knew that if he'll vomit, there's no way we're going to make it to the bathroom in time. I told him, I know it hurts you really really badly, but I think you should try very hard to calm down because if not, you'll vomit and we don't have a bathroom here. I soothed him and thankfully avoided it.

At the age of 6, you should be able to discuss this with her, try to get her to be more aware of it happening as well as you learning what her cues are.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:41 pm
OP here-

My problem is in public. She doesnt give me more than 5 seconds warning. Usually she says "Im not feeling well" ands then I dash. Im not always within 5 seconds of a bathroom.

At home, when she wakes up in the middle of her sleep any time, I know whats going to happen and I have a pail ready.

Do any of your kids do this at night?

avimom

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:49 pm
I have had him wake up in the middle of the night and he says, "I need to throw up"- and there's a mad dash for a bag (he cant stand throwing up in the toilet for some reason...) but it's not typical.
As for shabbos, we just deal with it and try to get him to calm down and get some water as soon as possible. I have picked him from friend's houses and the mother says, "you know, he threw up"- and I always get weird looks when I explain that he does it often, he;s not sick...
I think that as your daughter gets more embarrassed of it, she'll learn to control it more. For instance, my son rarely throws up in school...

amother

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:52 pm
avimom wrote:
I have had him wake up in the middle of the night and he says, "I need to throw up"- and there's a mad dash for a bag (he cant stand throwing up in the toilet for some reason...) but it's not typical.
As for shabbos, we just deal with it and try to get him to calm down and get some water as soon as possible. I have picked him from friend's houses and the mother says, "you know, he threw up"- and I always get weird looks when I explain that he does it often, he;s not sick...
I think that as your daughter gets more embarrassed of it, she'll learn to control it more. For instance, my son rarely throws up in school...

Thats funny. Mine threw up in school one time the whole year-

But DC does it alot in public situations that invole eating like kiddush/bar mitzvah, even if alot of food is not consumed.

At night, also if DC ate close to bed...

Oh the Joys. Im just scared that I am C"V missing some very bad disease....

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 12:57 am
my dd used to vomit frequently. she needed surgery to get her tonsils and adenoids removed-- which I thought was unrelated to the vomiting-- but when I mentioned it to the ent, he said that her vomiting would stop, too.

and lo and behold, he was right. apparently the enlarged tonsils and adenoids set off her gag reflex.

okeydocke

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 1:03 am
I had a daughter who had the same thing,
she vomited for no good reason at all when she was younger, I had a real hard time with her, I couldnt leave her at nobodys house, like you said who wants to take a child who would vomit at any given moment?
almost every friday night she used to vomit before the shabbos meal, so we thought somethng was wrong, we took her to the pediatrition who said she will outgrow it.
we did go thru testing of upper gi, but showed everything to be normal.
and she did outgrow it after all. she is 12 years old now, she stopped vomiting less frequently at age 10.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 6:31 am
I remember my brother doing this for years. As the big sister, I was pretty mortified. But guess what? By the time he reached his bar mitzva, he grew out of it.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 8:20 am
okeydocke wrote:
I had a daughter who had the same thing,
she vomited for no good reason at all when she was younger, I had a real hard time with her, I couldnt leave her at nobodys house, like you said who wants to take a child who would vomit at any given moment?
almost every friday night she used to vomit before the shabbos meal, so we thought somethng was wrong, we took her to the pediatrition who said she will outgrow it.
we did go thru testing of upper gi, but showed everything to be normal.
and she did outgrow it after all. she is 12 years old now, she stopped vomiting less frequently at age 10.

I generally don't leave my son with a babysitter at night for this reason. Every time he's had a babysitter (even my sister), if he'd wake up, he'd vomit and it was awful to have others clean up the mess, with him vomiting again and again sometimes. This started when he was about 1.5 and I had my neighbor babysit him. During the day he's fine being by others, but at night, I guess when he's groggy he just can't keep calm enough to be ok seeing a babysitter.

rowo

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 9:47 am
sorry I dont have any experience with this,
but as an outsider I find it interesting that you all mention times that sound overwhelming for your child is often when the throw up.
as a shy kid I know how nervous kids can get in overwhelming situations. maybe this is their physical reaction to being anxious.
perhaps look at whats causing this feeling and help them deal with that.

just a thought...

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 9:56 am
rowo wrote:
sorry I dont have any experience with this,
but as an outsider I find it interesting that you all mention times that sound overwhelming for your child is often when the throw up.
as a shy kid I know how nervous kids can get in overwhelming situations. maybe this is their physical reaction to being anxious.
perhaps look at whats causing this feeling and help them deal with that.

just a thought...

I wrote that above. It is obvious that this is what makes them vomit. Learning to deal with that is one issue. It's like saying that if someone gets an irritable bowel when they are nervous they should learn to deal with the nervousness. It happens that people get scared/nervous. Some people have a different physical reaction.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children