Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Vacation days and yom tov

Do you have to use vacation days to take off for yom tov?
Yes  
 66%  [ 16 ]
No  
 29%  [ 7 ]
self-employed  
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

irrationalrose

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 12:38 pm
Do you have to use vacation days to take off for yom tov?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 12:53 pm
Officially no, but we don't get a lot of time off b'chlal, and certainly not around the yomim toivim.

vicki

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 1:09 pm
My "Paid Time Off" includes ANY days I take (not American holidays) including Yom Tov, sick, Personal and the very rare true vacation day. I wouldn't expect it any other way.
I always try to negotiate at least 4 weeks vacation before I accept a position. It is very stressful for me to leave for Yom Tov, leave for Chanuka Plays, Purim Plays, Nursey Graduations, leave early Friday during early Shabbos season. I have to ignore the dirty looks I get.
Add to that the "In-House Training Days" (whatever they're called) in which the school is closed, early closing days, Chol HaMoed, Pre-Pesach days off, Isru Chag Days off, week between school and camp, weeks between camp and school -
I should try negotiating for 8 weeks Paid Time Off instead. Yeah, right.

ChayaZ09

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 1:10 pm
No, because my employer has a Religious Compensation Time policy and I am able to "earn" extra hours in advance, B"H

irrationalrose

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 1:42 pm
ChayaZ09 wrote:
No, because my employer has a Religious Compensation Time policy and I am able to "earn" extra hours in advance, B"H

That is awesome!

perquacky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 1:51 pm
Vacation days or personal days. Not usually a problem since I get 5 weeks and we're closed between Xmas and New Year's, so I have a total of 6 weeks to use up.

Somehow, though, it never seems like it's enough. . . .

cm

Post Tue, Jun 07 2011, 7:41 pm
Or time without pay.

Pre-motherhood, three weeks of vacation plus legal holidays (which they sometimes let me "move") was enough to cover the chagim, just barely.

Now I have the school schedule to deal with - taking off all of erev yom tov, for example, plus winter vacation and so on. My current job gives four weeks total, which includes vacation/personal/sick time and legal holidays, which cannot be moved. Not enough for a working parent with primary responsiblity for a school-aged child (alternate reading: no nanny).

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 08 2011, 3:08 pm
Erev chag and chol hamoed are charged at a half rate (each day off is 1/2 a vacation day). Yom tov itself is a legal holiday (another perk to living in Israel!).

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 12:56 am
No, I live in Israel.

JewishMother18

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 6:28 am
chanchy123 wrote:
No, I live in Israel.

Depending on who you work for not everyone has YT days off in Israel - I know someone who works for a non-Jewish organisation and has to take YT out of their annual leave. Also, much as we'd like to believe otherwise, there are plenty of shops and other businesses open on Shabbat and YT even in Israel - I don't know how holiday is worked in that situation.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 6:49 am
Jewish Mother wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
No, I live in Israel.

Depending on who you work for not everyone has YT days off in Israel - I know someone who works for a non-Jewish organisation and has to take YT out of their annual leave. Also, much as we'd like to believe otherwise, there are plenty of shops and other businesses open on Shabbat and YT even in Israel - I don't know how holiday is worked in that situation.

Yes, well it's ilegal to work on YT besides for specific workplaces.

shevi82

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 6:49 am
By law workers do not have to work on Shabbat and YT. If they do work they get paid a higher rate.
In Israel there are 9 days of Chag when you do not work and get paid: 2 days Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, 2 days Succos, 2 days Peasach, 1 day Shavous, 1 day Yom Hatzmaut.

shevi82

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 6:50 am
By law workers do not have to work on Shabbat and YT. If they do work they get paid a higher rate.
In Israel there are 9 days of Chag when you do not work and get paid: 2 days Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, 2 days Succos, 2 days Peasach, 1 day Shavous, 1 day Yom Hatzmaut.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 6:50 am
Jewish Mother wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
No, I live in Israel.

Yes, well it's ilegal to work on YT besides for specific workplaces.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 4:20 am
I think 4-5weeks paid holidays are standard here. I get 30 days (6 wks) because of seniority so basically ok to cover yomtov. But in my industry, we're required to take 2wks (10days) uninterrupted holiday for auditing reasons, and that usually needs to be in summer because Pesach/Succot time is usually very busy businesswise and I work chol hamoed.

For winter Fridays, I'll have to leave as early as 2pm, so I'll either work from home motzei shabbat or Sundays. Sick days are separate without particular limit (honour system so long as you don't abuse it), if you have children under-6 (IIRC) you can take extra time off but that's unpaid and very detrimental to your evaluation so I don't do that. For children's performance/sport days etc, I'll just clock in extra hours to catch up.

I thought 4-5wks were quite generous compared to what I used to get when I worked in USA, like the first year you have 12-15days then for each year of service you get a few extra days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics