Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Any good options for boy who can't handle reg haradi yeshiva

amother

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 1:31 am
My almost 17 year old has been struggling in the system here for 3 years. He says he can not handle a reg yeshiva gadolah/zal program this fall.

He's a good boy, doesn't smoke, drink, drugs, has derech eretz, ect but is a very weak learner. I don't want to put him in a harmful environment. I don't know what his options are if any.

Is there any programs for a boy like him? Maybe learn and train for something? But, with boys in the same situation....not with boys with serious problems and are going off.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 3:39 am
Army. There is a place for religious boys like that. You may want to look into that option. It may do him a world of good.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 3:47 am
You may be right. Thanks. Any one else with a possible idea?

grin

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 5:45 am
Lubavich yeshivat bucharim in kfar chabad) has also good bachrum who are looking for something more "hands-on" - they teach shechita and safrus as part of the regular program; otherwise it's a standard yeshiva gedola.

(I don't think that the army is the right choice for him - most of those boys don't fit into the system for other reasons than lack of learning per se.)

I also think that there are now programs/course for chariedi boys that age - ds went to kiryat ono for a degree, but he was slightly older.

[forgot to ask - in Hebrew or in English?]

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 5:56 am
Sure there are programs. We know about several on the yeshiva ketana level. Army is one possibility for older boys (there are pros and cons), special yeshiva gedolas are another. We are also considering our options.

I understand the issue with finding the right place for a boy who doesn't fit into the system, but is also NOT into alcohol, drugs, smoking and girls.

PM me if you want.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 6:39 am
grin wrote:
Lubavich yeshivat bucharim in kfar chabad) has also good bachrum who are looking for something more "hands-on" - they teach shechita and safrus as part of the regular program; otherwise it's a standard yeshiva gedola.

(I don't think that the army is the right choice for him - most of those boys don't fit into the system for other reasons than lack of learning per se.)

I also think that there are now programs/course for chariedi boys that age - ds went to kiryat ono for a degree, but he was slightly older.

[forgot to ask - in Hebrew or in English?]

Thank you. Hebrew or English. He prefers to have guys who speak/know English, he feels he connects more but either language is fine.

Can you tell me the name of the program in kiryat ono so I can look more into. Maybe for not now but maybe when the near future.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 6:42 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Sure there are programs. We know about several on the yeshiva ketana level. Army is one possibility for older boys (there are pros and cons), special yeshiva gedolas are another. We are also considering our options.

I understand the issue with finding the right place for a boy who doesn't fit into the system, but is also NOT into alcohol, drugs, smoking and girls.

PM me if you want.

Thank you Isramom8, bez'H after shabbos sometime I will be in touch by pm.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 12:05 pm
My husband (who has been in Israel for almost 11 years) is involved with all sorts of bochurim. I showed him this post and he thinks he has a yeshiva that would be a good match for your son. He offered to speak to you to see if that yeshiva would work, or if not, to find another idea. PM me for his number.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 4:21 am
Nachalat Yaakov
This yeshiva is geared for boys from charedi homes who want to earn a bagrut certificate as part of their education and want less emphasis on learning Gemorah. Some boys are more progressive than their families, but all are shomer Torah u'mitzvot.

There is a lot of discussion in the classroom instead of frontal instruction. The staff, many of whom are English speakers, want to give the kids satisfaction and a sense of meaning and relevance from their learning.
There are 4 shiurim given in the morning seder, with each shiur being 45 minutes long. The 4th shiur is a machshava shiur, the others are topics in Gemorah.

In the afternoon there are also four lessons in the bagrut subjects. The school offers bagrut majors in: computers and electronics.
In the evening there are chugim in music, gym, computers, and gardening.

Students who attend this school must have solid Hebrew, and can not have any drug or alcohol problems. They must be shomer mitzvot.
The educational team are all professional educators who are looking to help each boy find the most meaningful way to fulfill their Yiddishkeit.

As long as the clothing is modest, there is no specific dress code in the school. The school has their own full building with dorm rooms. 3 boys in room with an attached bathroom.

The students stay in the yeshiva every other Shabbat. Transportation is provided by the school to major communities throughout the country.

Interviews for the school are conducted in Jerusalem.

Area, Neighborhood Tiveria, Tiveria (North צפון)
Grade Levels 9 - 12
Religious Type Chardal חרד"ל
Gender Boys
Special Needs There is no support system in the school for students with learning disabilities or behavioral issues.
Telephone Number 02-659-7068
E-mail mzeivald@ff-yt.org
Name of Principal HaRav Zeivald
Name of Rosh Yeshiva HaRav Ravitz
Name of contact person HaRav Zeivald
Percentage of English speakers 40
Established in 2009
Tuition 1200 NIS per month (including transportation)
Number of students in the school 70
Number of kids on average in a class 15
Special programs for olim none

momaleh

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 5:12 am
There was an ad in the rbs views for kol hanaar, which apparently helps boys like this find the right place:

1800-50-15-16

good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 5:20 am
momaleh wrote:
There was an ad in the rbs views for kol hanaar, which apparently helps boys like this find the right place:

1800-50-15-16

good luck!

Actually the contact number above in my post on nachalat yaakov directs you to that organization. They say they are free of charge too. Seems like a great service!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions