Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Looking for volunteering opportunities in the summer.

gila-rina

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 12:39 am
I'm in Brooklyn and would like to do some volunteering as a family. My oldest is about 12. So far I came up with Masbia and Tomchei Shabbos . Is there an organization that sets people up with visiting old age homes? I tried COJO, and they don't have anything for us in the neighborhood. Please let me know if you know of any ideas for chesed/volunteering. TIA

bubby

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 12:41 am
What do you mean, "as a family"? Please explain & give details.

okeydocke

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 12:42 am
I called the BP bikur cholim and they found me this past winter valunteer work... good luck!!!

gila-rina

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:18 am
bubby wrote:
What do you mean, "as a family"? Please explain & give details.

As a group? I want to give my kids a new experience, and show different ways that chesed can be done. My kids are young, and I wouldn't be comfortable sending them alone. Hope that explains.

gila-rina

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:18 am
okeydocke wrote:
I called the BP bikur cholim and they found me this past winter valunteer work... good luck!!!

thank you

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 3:03 am
if you called the volunteer department in a nursing home they probably could set something up for you and the kids. you can call volunteer departments directly in any hospital or nursing home etc. but it's not so easy to volunteer in a hospital... what about mikeemi maybe they can give you a specific child that's a good place where you and your kids can come to cheer up some kid and bring games and gifts you can even go to some jewish toy stores or seforim stores and see if they will donate toward that specific child that way it's not asking for a big donation but something small.

gila-rina

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:29 am
Happy 2B wrote:
if you called the volunteer department in a nursing home they probably could set something up for you and the kids. you can call volunteer departments directly in any hospital or nursing home etc. but it's not so easy to volunteer in a hospital... what about mikeemi maybe they can give you a specific child that's a good place where you and your kids can come to cheer up some kid and bring games and gifts you can even go to some jewish toy stores or seforim stores and see if they will donate toward that specific child that way it's not asking for a big donation but something small.

thank you for the ideas. I know that Maimonides Hospital doesn't let young children in too visit, and was assuming its a regular policy for the rest of them. Will have to check another hospital.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children