Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Late thank you cards

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 2:10 am
we got married almost 2 years ago and didn't finish sending out thank you cards for our wedding ( hard pregnancy, c section , ppd...)
should we still send thank you cards its so embarrassing, for some people we have to thank for wedding and baby gift! embarrassed
if yes what should we write in it?
thanks for all your advice

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 2:17 am
are you thankful? yes since when does your embarrassment excuse you from showing your appreciation. I don't know what to say and I understand the embarrassment but I think it's important to say thank you especially if you want more presents Smile

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:08 am
Sit down now and get those cards out. The gifts are still thoughtful and lovely and appreciated even if you didn't get around to saying so till now. Matter of fact, now that you've been using the gifts for two years you can write a genuine note of appreciation, to the effect of "Your silverplated butter dish is our only really elegant milchik serving piece and it makes our Shavuos table pop" rather than the trite "we will put it to good use".
Much more embarrassing to never send them out than to send them late. Sent late, they tell the giver you're disorganized; sent never they tell the giver you're ill-bred, ungrateful and not a mensch.

obagys

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:18 am
We recently did a home remodel and as we were moving stuff around, we found our wedding invitations, proofs and to our absolute horror, thank you cards which I wrote but never mailed out! We recently celebrated our 11th anniversary! embarrassed

I have received thank-you cards late. One line that I though was a very nice opening was "A thank-you late in coming but sincere all the same" and she then went out to say thank-you for whatever it was that I gave her (I don't remember what it was).

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:47 am
obagys wrote:
We recently did a home remodel and as we were moving stuff around, we found our wedding invitations, proofs and to our absolute horror, thank you cards which I wrote but never mailed out! We recently celebrated our 11th anniversary! embarrassed

so, did you stick on the extra postage and mail them to the people who are still alive?

simhat_nisuyyin

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:51 am
It took us about a year and month to get ours out, and people were very nice about it. I really do think "better late than never" applies here! And you have a much better excuse than we had (no kids here).

Dimpled

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:55 am
my baby's almost 11 months and my cards are still sitting here somewhere. Is it too late for THAT? I mean, I think Chasuna thank you notes are different than Baby thank you notes. Am I wrong?

obagys

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:11 pm
zaq wrote:
obagys wrote:

so, did you stick on the extra postage and mail them to the people who are still alive?

LOL, no, not yet. This happened about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I had my baby a few days after that. It's not all the wedding thank-you's, thank goodness, just a handful. And actually some of these people are really no longer alive. Others are people who were in my grade at school who are now married with new lasts names that I'm unsure of, and I don't even know where half of them live. I need to do some serious research to get addresses now. My husband and I didn't even recognize 2 of the names!

The good news is, I've been extra diligent about sending out thank-you cards for all the gifts given to me when I've had my 6 kids, or when we get other random gifts (chanukah, etc)

mummy85

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 3:19 am
I had my first 10 months after I got married. The people who gave me baby gift got a... Thank you for engagement, wedding, and baby gift. Most of the people found it quite amusing, but happy I still sent it.
It did take us a really long time to actually get the cards, that's why they took so long to get out.

<y mother wasn't so happy we took so long, when I asked her what was better a year late or never, she succumbed and said a year later is better than never.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette