Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How To Clean Kids Down Feather Jacket

JustPlainMe

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:31 pm
I have an off white quilted down winter jacket which is more black than white...
I tried oxi clean, dreft, baking soda, vinegar and basic other detergents. I washed the life out of it and it's still dirty.
My toddler wore it last winter and I want to use it next winter for my next one. At this point I don't think it's proper to wear. I'd love to find a way to clean it before I opt to buy a new one. Should I try a dry cleaner? Or will dry cleaning ruin it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:53 pm
Buy Cascade dishwashing gel. Make the coat wet. Drizzle some gel on the stains. Allow to sit 10 minutes. Scrub out stains and discoloration with cleaning toothbrush.
Repeat as necessary.
A lifesaver.
Has bleach in it, so use with caution. But will not yellow your whites and off whites like bleach does.

JustPlainMe

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:59 pm
Thanks ra_mom for your reply.
The coat has big areas of black not just spots. Will that work too?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 2:02 pm
JustPlainMe wrote:
Is it grease or layers of dirt?
If it's dirt, lots of scrubbing, after soaking in a solution of generous amounts of cascade gel with boiling water for 2 days first, would probably do it.

JustPlainMe

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 2:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
JustPlainMe wrote:
Is it grease or layers of dirt?
If it's dirt, lots of scrubbing, after soaking in a solution of generous amounts of cascade gel with boiling water for 2 days first, would probably do it.

No grease. Just black on the bottom side of the sleeves and the center font. I also discovered one yellow spot on the hood…
I guess it won't hurt o try?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry