Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Tough BIOS question

grin

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:21 pm
I have a know-it-all computer maiven who's 13 yo and somehow he changed the option to create a password in the BIOS (so that he can have unlimited access to the computer via his mp3, which he turned into a password recovery disk).

does anyone out there know more than him?

Depressed

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:21 pm
LOL LOL

You put a smile on my face. You are up the proverbial creek w/o a paddle. Unless you want to write a patch in assembler or C to block the port the MP3 player talks to...

grin

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:23 pm
Depressed wrote:
LOL LOL

You put a smile on my face. You are up the proverbial creek w/o a paddle. Unless you want to write a patch in assembler or C to block the port the MP3 player talks to...
well, I fully intend to confiscate the MP3 Exploding anger Twisted Evil Exploding anger Twisted Evil Exploding anger Twisted Evil

but boy is he teaching me a lot! (he knows more than your avg. techie - he has his future in hand, if he can only grow up first!)

Depressed

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:25 pm
Maybe try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....at=22

reyzele

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:50 pm
grin wrote:
I have a know-it-all computer maiven who's 13 yo and somehow he changed the option to create a password in the BIOS (so that he can have unlimited access to the computer via his mp3, which he turned into a password recovery disk).

Suggest you will be selling the computer and suspending other privileges unless he restores the password back. There are ways to reset BIOS password but it depends on the motherboard version and BIOS version.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:08 pm
In many cases that can be overcome by opening the case, removing the battery, removing the power cord, waiting a few minutes, then plugging it all back in. Check your computer manual to confirm or find out if it uses a different method. There is almost always a fix when you have physical access. Or take away privileges until he fixes it.

Then buy him some books on programming and tell him to put his creatively to constructive use.

grin

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 2:25 am
reyzele wrote:
grin wrote:

Suggest you will be selling the computer and suspending other privileges unless he restores the password back.
selling the computer would be also punishing myself Sad then I couldn't hang out here anymore!

penguin

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 5:38 pm
LOL. Sounds like my son. Watched over my shoulder & taught himself to program at maybe 8 years old. I really did not restrict him (although every time I had a computer issues DH would say, you know DS is ruining your computers, why don't you forbid him?) But I knew he needed an outlet, I watched him carefully (and took the modem with me when I left the house.)

BH now he is off to Bais Medrash. Last time he came home for Shabbos I told him I was having an issue. He sat down at the computer and said, Oh, I can't remember how to do this. Boruch Hashem his head is now in learning.

It's a wise Mom who knows what her child needs and gives him space.

I recently asked my tech if you can take out the battery to re-set the pw, & he said they don't make them like that any more.

grin

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 8:27 am
no, there are other tricks to do that (ds taught me how Very Happy) but my friendly neighborhood techie helped me reset the Bios. Whew
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics