Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Designated counters for milchig/fleishig?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 1:04 am
We live in a house with formica counters. The people who lived here before us were not religious at all, so we assume that everything, including the counters, are treif. We basically don't put anything hot on the counters, only cold things. Since we assume everything is treif anyway, we don't have designated milchig or fleishig counters.

Someone brought a pan of hot food into my house today and asked which counter was my "fleishig counter". I told her we don't have a designated one, and I told her to put it on top of a towel (anyway it's not smart to put a hot pan on top of formica). She looked at me like I was nuts, and was really awkward after, and now I wonder if she thinks that our kashrus is not up to par.

Firstly, I'm a little embarrassed, and secondly, I started to wonder if we were doing something wrong. We try to be machmir about kashrus, but maybe I'm off the mark here.

shaini

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 1:26 am
Formica/laminex can't be kashered which seems strange if they have not been used for treif for many years (not necessarily in your situation). If you use a designated board etc when putting things on the counter-tops I can't see that you are doing something wrong but I stand to be corrected.

gila-rina

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 2:01 am
Its easier to mix up spoons/knifes etc that might be left out, if you don't have designated counters.
As to your visitor, whatever a person is used to that he thinks is the norm.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 2:32 am
You should probably still designate counters, simply because that way in event of mistakes, the counter underneath will be less likely to have been a "ben yomo" for the opposite type of food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen