Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore Pickwick area

amother

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 9:48 am
We're looking at houses, and I wanted to get some opinions on the Pickwick neighborhood, particularly the area behind Shoppers -- Woodcourt, Wickfield, etc. Someone told us that the city is where all the chareidi families are and that the county is mostly modern. We're happy to be with a mix of "types," but we definitely don't want to be in a situation where we're the freaks on the block. With a few drives/walks through the neighborhood, we haven't been able to get a clear picture.

So, for those of you who are familiar with this neighborhood, do you think it's mostly pretty modern, or will we find other families who don't watch tv, for example. Would appreciate any other information you can offer, as well. Thanks!

obagys

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 9:59 am
My daughter's best friend lived on Woodcourt before moving to Ranchleigh about 2 years ago. They are definitely a more yeshivish type family, I doubt they own a TV. I think whoever told you it's more chareidi in the city and modern in the county was generalizing a bit too much. There are plenty of "normal" frum (chareidi) families in the county as well, it's just more of a mix.

Tova

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 10:22 am
Yes - my parents live in that area and their block is a mix (actually, there block is still mostly not frum). It's an expensive area for couples to buy in, so you may not find that this is where the kollel couples are moving and that may scew the stats.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 1:46 pm
I agree. It's a big mix of people there. I live in the Pickwick apartments (right nearby), and grew up here. It runs the gamut from modern to yeshivish (Baltimore yeshivish). As a pp said, it's more expensive than the Park Heights neighborhood, so kollel couples or former kollel couples are less likely to buy there.

It's really hard to be a "freak" in Baltimore. We're all stuffed together, no matter where you go. It's wonderful!

obagys

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
It's really hard to be a "freak" in Baltimore. We're all stuffed together, no matter where you go. It's wonderful!

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Anything goes here, from flip flops with bright red nail polish to super thick tan stockings with lines up the back. If you want to stand out & be a "freak", you'll have to get a neon orange sheitel.

Tova

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:

I love it!

pen1276

Post Sun, Jun 19 2011, 7:54 pm
The Pickwick area is definitely a mix. Look at the shuls around there to help you out. You have a good three to four shuls in the Pickwick Greenspring area - and possibly even other ones that are smaller. So this area is most definitely a mix. I would say the only two neighborhoods in all of the Baltimore Jewish community where you would not find a diverse group of people are the Yeshiva Lane and Scotts Hill neighborhoods. Every other area - Upper Park Heights, Pickwick, Cheswolde, Greenspring, Glen, Cross Country, Ranchleigh all have diverse families living there. And now with Rabbi Berger's shul being built in the Pickwick area, it will only attract more chareidi families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating