Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Childcare and sleep habit books

sunnymom

Post Fri, Oct 06 2006, 4:56 pm
I am iy"h due in about 3 weeks, I would like to buy some books on childcare and sleep habits. There is a big selection out there, not sure which are the best. I'm going to write a list here and please give any feedback about any of them, if you have read them, or if you know of any other books that are not in this list that are good and helpful.Thanks.
1) What to expect the first year by Heidi Murkoff
2) Your babys first year by American Academy Of Pediatrics
3) The baby book by William and Martha Sears
4) Healthy sleep habits healthy child by Marc Weissbluth
5) The happiest baby on the block by Harvey Karp, also has a DVD

map

Post Sun, Oct 08 2006, 9:40 pm
I read #4 and #5 healthy sleep habits is an awesome book helping you understand the significance of sleep for a baby - I followed the advice and now my kids are great sleepers,
the happiest baby on the block was a life saver when my second was born she was awfully colicky and all the methods in the book worked well....except the shushing thing I didn't get how long were we supposed to shush her until we were blue in the face? but hopefully please G-d you won't have to deal with a colicky baby to know what that means! good luck

chavamom

Post Sun, Oct 08 2006, 11:19 pm
"The No Cry Sleep Solution"

I would take the "What to Expect" book with a HUGE grain of salt. My major complaint about that book is that they have an agenda but try to present it as if they are being unbiased. They present two sides of a story, but make the one they like appear the 'reasonable' choice. It also contains some things taht are blatantly false - like the long ago disproved theory that there is no benefit to nursing past one-year

Emuna

Post Mon, Oct 09 2006, 12:51 am
The Happiest Baby DVD is interesting, but now after three babies I look back at his suggestions with a grain of salt - for example, he is very into the idea of the baby swing - and says you can keep the baby in there for many hours. Now this seems strange to me because I sleep with the baby and this works best. I can't believe I actually kept my first baby in the swing for so long. Also, he's into swaddling which is OK, but the child gets addicted to the swaddle and can't sleep without it.

The Baby Book was really good. I love the Sears' books. They represent a cetain type of parenting, though. I believe in it, but it is EXTREMELY hands-on and may be too much for some people. But if this is your first you have lots of time, so attachment parenting will not be so difficult.

My friend used Healthy Sleep Habits and it "worked" for her but she told me it involves a lot of the "cry it out" method which I will never use EVER.

Your baby's first year has a TON of information but was way too clinical and bulky for me.

I used Chavamom's suggestion "No Cry Sleep Solution" and really liked it. I love that she shares my ideas about NOT using the cry-it-out method. But in the end, nothing is going to be perfect so get lots of sleep now while you still can!!!

Emuna

Post Mon, Oct 09 2006, 12:58 am
Dr. Jay Gordon "Good Nights" and "Listening to Your Baby"

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 11:57 am
I'll echo Chavamom. I LOVED the No-Cry Sleep Solution! It's not preachy at all, and doesn't give a one-size-fits-all formula. I think it should be required reading for anyone who reads Sears' "The Baby Book".

What to Expect is comprehensive - BUT much of the information is outdated, they don't give references, and there are a number of sections where they are just plain wrong (breastfeeding being the biggest example).

ceo

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 12:47 am
I would definetly pass on one and two- outdated! I would definetly read 3 and 4. I didn't read 5, but heard good things about it. I am also not into the Cry-It-Out theory that Dr. weissbluth is a proponent of, BUT, that book is anyway a great read about the importance of sleep and schedules in babies and toddlers.
Dr. Sears info about babyearing SAVED me in those first few months, plus all the info at thebabywearer.com. I loved my Kangaroo Korner pouch!!

I didn't really get a lot out of The No Cry Sleep Solution. There's a book called "Good Night, Sleep Tight." by The Sleep Lady- I think her real name is KIm WEst. She has a whoe system of sleep training that is supposed to be not cry-it-out.

Sparkle

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:03 am
I don't think that Happiest Baby on the Block is neccessary for a normal baby but it can be an absolute lifesaver with a fussy one!

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 4:05 am
The happiest baby on the block was the best. If only I knew about it for my other kids. My baby is really colicky and swaddling really works. Even when she is not crying at night I will swaddle her and get a good six to nine hours of sleep at night unbroken. This book is not only for colicky babies. Sometimes when she sleeps long hours at night I could hear her stomach rumbling but she still doesn't get up for a feeding.

I tell everyone about this book that is how much I love it. My mil was shocked to see how fast my baby calmed down.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room