Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Potty Training 2 kids at once?

IndyMom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 3:30 pm
I am due with baby number three in July and I was thinking that it would be WONDERFUL if I can train my older 2 together to go potty. Has anyone ever tried this? The older one is 3 and the younger one will be 2 in a couple weeks. They are both boys, but the younger one likes to copy the older one. I was thinking I would start a week after pesach (after finals for me also) adn then I'll have around 2 months to get them trained before new baby arrives. What do you all think? Is it worth trying or should I just focus on older boy and not try to much at once.

raizy

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 9:47 pm
I also thought that I will train the older one before the 3 one came on the scene it didnt happen. I had 3 kids in pampers. the 3 one was born after pashack and I trained the oldest in the summer. also I had the urge then bc u cant send 3 yr old kids to cheder in their pampers.
the second was trained at 2 big mistake. she kept on making and makeing.

the 3 one was also trained at 2.4 and he had no accidents.
so it all depends on the child.

also dont train them at once. it is too hard.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 9:55 pm
great idea!
just make sure the 2 yr old is ready to be trained
and get 2 identical potties, or they will always want to ,ake whrn the brother is making!!!

have fun!

IndyMom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 11:49 pm
How do I know if the 2 year old is ready? And how long should I expect the process to take?

juggler

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:55 am
Indymom, you can try to help the two year old along with readiness by pointing out to him his signs of going in the diaper (if he has any), and telling him, see that means you need to pish (or whatever word you choose), you can do that in your diaper, and soon you'll be big enough to do that in the potty like mommy, daddy, your friend does. However, please be forewarned, that boys take a much longer time (at least from my experience- correct me more experienced mothers if I am wrong) to be ready, and to train. My son, and I now understand that this is typical, took a VERY long time to train, and he was close to three, and showed signs of readiness. So, if it will make life easier for you to have them both trained, go for it- but if you see that it means cleaning up lots more messes- then let it slide for a bit and try again later. Good luck!!!

micki

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 8:38 am
my son trained in one day. he was 2.5 at the time.
he was totally ready and we had little to none in accidents.
I reccomend training the older one first- if he wants to and shows he is ready, and doing the 2 yr old a yr later. you lose the "you won't be a baby anymore" if his younger bro trains at the same time.
plus if you are preg. then I can only imagine how hard it will be for you to run and bend and clean up messs. better to just change diapers.
plus with a new baby coming most have accidents for a short period of time when they have a big change in their life- and a baby is one. so you may as well skip all the hard times and just train later.
but if your 3 yr old shows signs then do him now.
he will have enough time to be established toilet goer before the baby comes.
again use the kid as cues!

raizy

Post Wed, Mar 23 2005, 8:23 pm
sorry in my house the boys were easyier then the girl !!!
oldest took 3 days second boy took one day and the girl had problems for two yrs!!!!

lucy

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 11:00 pm
If the're ready then it goes 123!
Signs would be they tell you they made or while th're making in the diaper.
Sometimes kids find a specail spot to make - so they basically show you they are aware of what the're doing. But I have seen children that were not ready and just constantly kept having accidents. Then it can backfire on you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics