Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Most effective allergy testing

amother

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 11:58 am
What did you find to be the most effective method of allergy testing? Blood tests, skin tests or kinesiology? I did blood tests for my dd when she was almost 2 and nothing came up. She is definitely allergic to some of the stuff we tested for and I heard (afterwards) that under 2 blood tests are not entirely accurate. Now she's over 3 but what did you find was most accurate?

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 9:59 pm
none of the tests are 100% accurate. the real test is the reaction or lack of a reaction to the food.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 2:31 pm
mommy 3.5, what if it's an environmental allergy? my dd can't live in a bubble! I'd like to finally get the answers straight.

ElTam

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 4:14 pm
kinesiology is totally not scientific and reliable.

Blood tests are the most accurate. Skin tests slightly less so. Both have false positives, though.

bigprincess

Post Fri, Jun 24 2011, 6:25 pm
I would first take the skin test, it is the most commonly used method (and less painful). Usually you will be sent for blood work if the skin test is positive, to check the severity.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Jun 25 2011, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:
mommy 3.5, what if it's an environmental allergy? my dd can't live in a bubble! I'd like to finally get the answers straight.

If its environmental, its treated with allergy meds, Allegra,claritin or zyrtec, sometimes you need to try a few before you find the right one. Usually allergists do blood work and then skin testing. I’ve taken my kids to both, they scream louder for the blood testing, but its really only one stick. OTOH, positive skin reactions are very miserable, as their backs end up full of hives. benadryl is sometimes needed after skin testing.

Also if a child comes out with incredibly high blood numbers, they will skip testing that allergen by skin, which can save the child a lot of discomfort. Blood results like skin results often come out wrong too, the higher the numbers the more likely that it is correct (at least in my kids).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics