Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you let your five year old daughter wear nail polish?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
I've seen 4 or 5 year olds getting manicured at the salon. That's a bit jappy for my taste.
Anoymous because then you'll all know I'm from Flatbush. Where else do 4 year olds get manicures?

I hope mummyof6 doesn't faint when she reads this!

I've seen it in Toronto too. I don't know if they are getting full manicures, they are with their mothers who are getting manicures and the lady probably puts some polish on them also as a treat. At least I hope that's what is happening. I hope the 4 year olds arent getting full professional manicures.
I never saw a gaggle of 4 year olds out for lunch and a manicure. Do they start that early in Brooklyn? Puke

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
I've seen 4 or 5 year olds getting manicured at the salon. That's a bit jappy for my taste.
Anoymous because then you'll all know I'm from Flatbush. Where else do 4 year olds get manicures?

I hope mummyof6 doesn't faint when she reads this!

Crazy. A mom putting on some polish on her daughter as a treat or a game is one thing, but this... wow. I don't see why a girl would need to go to a salon before shidduchim/being 18. Or maybe at 16 and with her pocket money, if she really wants it, but yeah... how weird.

redhot

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:34 pm
SO I got my 3 year old daughter a manicure! Big deal!
. I let her get a manicure as a special treat. It costs me 4 dollars. If I wanted to treat her to ice cream it owuld cost the same, and atleast with this she has it all week long. It made her feel very special.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 2:42 pm
My mil started taking my niece to a salon for manicures and fancy hairsytles when she was 2 years old. She thought it was really cute to take her and get her all dolled up, even at a young age. On one occasion she even dressed her up like a little pricess, crown and all! (No, it wasn't Purim!) Well, my niece, now only 5, is SO high maintenance about her hair, nails and clothes. It's unbelievable to see her and hear how she talks. She's like a teenager already! My sil regrets letting my mil take her on the "cute" adventures.

ny21

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:03 pm
the first time I got a manicire\\

was on my wedding day -

my m-i-l- took me .1

people who I did not know cAME OVE AND SIAD SEE YOU TONIIGHT

Basya

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:08 pm
don't have a 5 year old daughter, but if I did, it would be a good incentive- rather than candy or a prize.

My mother bribed me with a manicure if I didn't bite my nails when I was pretty little.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
My mil started taking my niece to a salon for manicures and fancy hairsytles when she was 2 years old. She thought it was really cute to take her and get her all dolled up, even at a young age. On one occasion she even dressed her up like a little pricess, crown and all! (No, it wasn't Purim!) Well, my niece, now only 5, is SO high maintenance about her hair, nails and clothes. It's unbelievable to see her and hear how she talks. She's like a teenager already! My sil regrets letting my mil take her on the "cute" adventures.

Not surprising.
People who dress their kids in Armani at 3 shouldn't cry when they'll ask for diamonds at 14.

ny21

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:22 pm
as a joke I walked into a fur store at my mall

the owner put a 1500 jacket on her !

I asked if kids her age 14 shop here ?

and he said always !
she did look boo- ti ful in it/

mumoo

Post Wed, Nov 08 2006, 6:30 pm
take a deep breath, ok, this is my first post -on the highly controversial topic of nail polish...

I use to wear every color until I was told that if any of it chips its considered a chatzitza, and not just for toiveling but for negel vasser too

I never asked a shaila, I just stopped wearing it

anybody else heard this?

roza

Post Wed, Nov 08 2006, 7:22 pm
Nah, I don't let, I think she is too young for it, like with make up...

yes, nail polish is a chatzitza and rov needs to be consulted about it. for negel vasser- ask.

bandcm

Post Wed, Nov 08 2006, 7:33 pm
I think manicures on little kids is obscene.
It´s not the money. As someone said, it´s only 4 dollars. It´s the attitude. What are you teaching her? That spending time, thought and money on her nails is something positive? What will he be like at 15? And what will she be like at 20? Definitely future Hot Chanie material here! Her poor husband!
You may think I am exaggerating, but I think it all begins at an early age.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Nov 08 2006, 7:37 pm
My DD got to wear nail polish to a wedding as a reward because she stopped sucking her fingers (she was 4 1/2 then). We picked out the palest pink we could find. Now she occassionally gets to wear it, maybe once every few months.

She is a very girly girl and I constantly have to tell her No you can't wear lip gloss and No you can't put on my make-up (which I hardly ever wear either).

ny21

Post Wed, Nov 08 2006, 8:36 pm
at 15 years old ! they want french manicure and tips !

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 10:35 am
Quote:
take a deep breath, ok, this is my first post -on the highly controversial topic of nail polish...

I use to wear every color until I was told that if any of it chips its considered a chatzitza, and not just for toiveling but for negel vasser too

I never asked a shaila, I just stopped wearing it

anybody else heard this?

yes, of course. that's why I stopped wearing it many years ago. and for other reasons too.

Quote:
That spending time, thought and money on her nails is something positive?

Thumbs Up

mumoo

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 11:34 am
GR, aside from polish being a chatzitza and being hard to take off before toiveling, would you mind sharing what other reasons you have for not wearing? is it a tzinus thing?

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 09 2006, 12:31 pm
I think nail polish is a gray area when it comes to tznius. when your hands are noticeable from down the block- yikes!

the reason why I stopped is so that I could wash properly without a chatzitzah.

the reason why I would never start again is because I think its an incredibly silly thing to do. Smile bash me if you want. Very Happy

rivka m

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 10:45 pm
being girly is great but I have 4 daughters and I try to do subtle things that will steer them away from being superficial and too concerned with their looks. For me the main problem with nailpolish is that at that age it just reinforces the notion that being a girl is all about how you look. Here and ther for fun it's okay. But we have to send a strong message to our girl about who they really are from the inside out, because everything else out there tells them otherwise, you know?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:23 am
I called Rov Osdoba to ask him about colors. I suggest you find out, too.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 3:14 pm
I asked about it being a chatzizah and I was told that it only was if you would be embarrassed to walk around in public with it. Meaning if there was just a small chip or two and you would feel comfortable walking around like that it was OK.

Anyone else heard this? I am asking because this was a while ago and I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 16 2006, 3:23 pm
Sparkle wrote:
I asked about it being a chatzizah and I was told that it only was if you would be embarrassed to walk around in public with it. Meaning if there was just a small chip or two and you would feel comfortable walking around like that it was OK.

Anyone else heard this?

me!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children