Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Holy Woman

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 10 2006, 4:25 pm
This book is a must read.

It is the road to greatness of Rebbetzin Chaya Sara Kramer by Sara Yocheved Rigler

I never heard of her before until I read this amazing book it was a quick reader and a page turner until the end. I advise anyone looking for a spiritual uplifting to read this book.

eaglewings

Post Sat, Oct 21 2006, 7:37 pm
Yes, she was quite a lady! But I feel that the author overdid a bit the "difficulties" of "special kids".

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 9:53 am
supermom wrote:
it was a quick reader .

I agree with you that it's a "must read" and spiritually uplifting but I am davka not reading it quickly. I think the ideas are so radical that it takes time to digest and I don't want to race through the book (as good a read as it is).

eaglewings wrote:
I feel that the author overdid a bit the "difficulties" of "special kids".

What do you mean?
I think taking care of normal children without running hot water amidst all the other physical hardships she lived with, would be quite a feat!

busymom

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 12:11 pm
Motek wrote:
supermom wrote:
it was a quick reader .

I agree with you that it's a "must read" and spiritually uplifting but I am davka not reading it quickly. I think the ideas are so radical that it takes time to digest and I don't want to race through the book (as good a read as it is).

I agree and also purposely let it take longer than it would otherwise to get through the book.

eaglewings wrote:
I feel that the author overdid a bit the "difficulties" of "special kids".

she wasn't just taking care of special children who are mildly [crazy]. she had some with severe physical disabilities too, who had to be fed, and their clothes changed more often... all this w/o running hot water, a reg. washing machine, and other modern amenities! how can we underestimate the amount of physical strength, endless patience, and unconditional love all this work required? and she couldn't even relax at the end of an exhausting day. this was a 24/7 job!

stem

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 10:32 pm
What ideas are so radical in the book? I didn't read the book but now I'm intrigued.

ceo

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 11:06 pm
stem wrote:
What ideas are so radical in the book? I didn't read the book but now I'm intrigued.

I don't think that the ideas are so radical, but trying to internalize them....that's whats radical. Every movement and thought that this woman made was in total awareness of the ratzon hashem!

For instance, at the begining of the book, the author recounts her first meeting with the Rebbetzin. She tells the Rebbetzin about her time on the ashram. The Rebbetzin tells her about Aushwitz. She says, "Aushwitz wasn't a bad place. At least there, we could keep some of the mitzvos. But for you, the ashram was a bad place." That's a pretty radical thing to say!

I also don't think that the author overdid the difficulties of the special kids. The rebbetzin didn't take care of Avraham for a week or two twice a year so the mother could relax on vacation! The Rebbetzin took care of Avraham 24/7 until she was nifteres! Most of us couldn't do that even with babysitting help, washing machine, minivan, extra freezer, and take out food!

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 9:13 am
ceo wrote:
I don't think that the ideas are so radical

Quote:
That's a pretty radical thing to say!

Well???? Radical or not? I think yes!

As the author notes and I agree, Reb. Kramer operated on an entirely different plane of reality, was on a different planet where different rules prevail.

Another example -
The author questioned Reb. Kramer about something that for "normal" people would upset them, asking how she felt about it. Reb. Kramer looked at her blankly.
The author comments that she (the author) takes her "emotional pulse" every fifteen minutes while Reb. Kramer thinks about her feelings maybe once every few years!
I repeated this segment to several people because it's so REFRESHING to be confronted with an entirely different perspective on life, one not tainted by modern psychology ("how do you feel about ..."), one in tune with a Higher Reality.

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:24 am
RIGHT ON MOTEK!!!

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 11:33 am
It's also nice to read about Rabbi Kramer. The description of this tzadik certainly breaks some people's stereotypical ideas about Satmar Chasidim.

When his wife woke up from her nap, he ran to bring her her slippers. Everything he saw she needed, he ran and got.

He frequently helped her with the housework. He swept the floors, made the beds, and assisted with the Pesach cleaning. When she couldn't cook, he did.

Also fascinating to read is Reb. Kramer's BITUL to her husband. What an old-fashioned and unpopular idea nowadays. She was a strong-minded woman and her personality was unlike her husband's, yet she followed his lead, obeyed him (what a dirty word for modern women!) and made herself into a wife of whom one neighbor testified, "His words were kodesh kodoshim (holy of holies) to her." This is a CHOICE she made.

Chaya123

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 11:46 am
My husband and I actually had the zechus of visiting Reb. Kramer personally 3 yrs ago, when we were in E"Y for Succos. She was an unbelievable person, said to have had Ruach HaKodesh. She told us some such spooky things and gave me mussar on something else. They say her husband Z'TL was a Lamed Vav Tzaddik. I started reading the book but had to return it so never finished. But I would definitely like to finish it. Was so amazing so far and to think how someone in today's day and age can be like that is just astounding!

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 2:56 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
My husband and I actually had the zechus of visiting Reb. Kramer personally 3 yrs ago, when we were in E"Y for Succos.

wow, how did the visit come about?

what language did you speak with her?

ceo

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 10:55 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
. She told us some such spooky things and gave me mussar on something else. They say her husband Z'TL was a Lamed Vav Tzaddik.!

ooooh, I love hearing these types of spooky things....if it's not too personal, could you share? also, please tell us how you made the connection with her- did someone you know send you?

Chaya123

Post Fri, Nov 03 2006, 12:02 pm
I spoke to her in Yiddish since I speak a fluent Yiddish. I was married over 3 yrs without children and she asked me if I'm expecting. My period was a wk late but I didn't dare hope and then she asked me so I was positive I was. Sure enough, my period came a few days later. I guess maybe it could've happened but didn't. Who knows. Also, first I walked in myself bec I didn't know if she'd be fine with my husband coming in as well. Then, when I figured it's fine, my husband walked into the room as well and her whole face lit up and she told me in Yiddish, "You have such a chashuva husband, a very very chashuva husband!" Boy did that make me feel good.
The way I found out about her was that we left to E"Y straight from my in laws bec we were there for Y"K. Right before we left to the airport, my mil's downstairs neighbor started telling me of all these ppl I should visit when I get there. She told me abt Reb Kramer and how much she had helped her many yrs before when she wasn't well and what a tzaddik her husband was. So one day Choel Hamoed, we just picked up and walked to Meah Shearim. We had no idea where she lived but knew the street name. B'H we found the house and that was our experience.

Last edited by Chaya123 on Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Motek

Post Sat, Nov 04 2006, 9:11 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
So one day Choel Hamoed, we just picked up and walked to Meah Shearim. We had no idea where she lived but knew the street name. B'H we found the house and that was our experience.

Ah, so it was at that point already, not when they were living at the moshav. Thanks for writing that up. Smile

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 1:43 pm
I loved this book! she was really on another level!
In her book she says she wishes someone lights a candle for her yurzeit (2Sivan) and my mom asked me to inquire is anyone is doing it?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 1:53 pm
Re radical: SYR specifically refers to the radical non-materialism of their lifestyle.

desertrose

Post Thu, Apr 18 2013, 1:09 pm
Absolutely loved this book. Didn't want to finish it. I named my son Yaakov Moshe.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 19 2013, 7:01 am
For me, and I think for my mom, there has been a before and an after this book Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room