Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it just me?

SplitPea

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 5:48 am
I give away things regularly on our neighborhoods yahoo group. I get SOOOO annoyed at some of the e-mail replies I get to my postings but maybe its just me?

I will post something for free and I get a reply that just states "where do I pick up" No hi is the item available still, I am interested etc... just where can I pick up.

or one I got this morning "give it to me call me>>>>" Is this normal?

How about "pics?" thats the ONLY word one person sent me!

I also get annoyed at the "I will take it" it makes them sound like they are doing me this HUGE favor by taking something off my hands...

am I the only one who sends strangers e-mails more than 2-3 word e-mails? If I see something for free (or even for sale) I would like I send them something like "hi, if you still have the ___ I would LOVE to take it. I could put it to good use." Or "If you still have ____ I would love to see pics/com by and see it. I am very interested"

I think its just all the testing but most of the replies I have gotten to my last posting are so demanding I ignored them all and wanna throw the item in the trash!!!

So is it just me?

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 7:14 am
I get annoyed by that attitude, too. If someone can't be bothered to be polite, I'll find someone else to give it to.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 7:23 am
No, its not you.

I also hate hate hate when people request free items. *Hi. If you have a Bugaboo stroller in perfect condition that you're done with, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. Blue only.*

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

JC

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 7:33 am
I hate that too!
BUT
I have found that many people are fixated on the first one to reply gets it and if you take the time write more than one word it is already given away.
That is why I sometimes write who I am looking to give it to (whom ever can pick it quickest or a family with young kids or a preschool) and that I do not necessarily have a first come first serve policy.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 7:45 am
I got kicked off a board because of that. Smile

LondonIma

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 9:16 am
Barbara- you're post made me laugh out loud- I cant stand when I see requests like that! "does anyone know where I can get a car seat in excellent condition?" I always feel like replying... ummm.... the store??? I respect anonymous post which say "family in need looking for baby equipment in excellent condition" etc... but it's the entitled attitude of some posters which I really cant stand!

Another thing which irks me (be interested to know if I'm the only one) is when people "find" things on the street and take them home with them- to post on a yahoo group- it's one thing to say "I found a siddur could it be yours" its another to say "I found an ear ring on the street" (in an area where both Jewish and non jewish people live) I feel like how can you assume it belongs to a frum jew who is on this forum?? if you want to give someone the opportunity to claim it- take it to the police station or something...

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 9:56 am
The really rude ones should be reported to group admin. But just to give a different perspective, I also freecycle and I actually LIKE emails that are short and to the point. Kills less time. Frankly, most of the time I'm offering it's because I want to get rid of stuff and they ARE doing me a favor by taking it. So rude I don't approve of, but brief and lacking chitchat, definitely, especially if I'd be emailing to/from my phone or something.

As for the found items, I don't think anyone's assuming someone on the group owns it, rather they're trying to get the "found" notice out to as many people as they can in the hope that the owner will be located.

Sheesh, why do people always assume the worst?

Amital

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 10:30 am
Our lives are getting more "text-y," it seems. Anyone else hear about "half-Shabbos?"

I don't feel that I assume the worst. But I just prefer politeness. And complete sentences! Wink

LondonIma

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 10:50 am
I apologies for my pessimistic view of many of these lost property posters- but I would be very surprised if any of them are attempting to find the owner of the lost property by any other method other than this yahoo group (which a large section of the Jewish community in this area are either members or friends with a member) so... posting a lost item of judaica, while not a guarantee makes perfect sense, while assuming every lost item found within the boundary of a Jewish area belong to a frum jew, slightly less so....

never the less, I apologies to those of you who post both within and out of the Jewish community when you find something on the st.

Fox

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 10:53 am
seeker wrote:
The really rude ones should be reported to group admin. But just to give a different perspective, I also freecycle and I actually LIKE emails that are short and to the point. Kills less time. Frankly, most of the time I'm offering it's because I want to get rid of stuff and they ARE doing me a favor by taking it. So rude I don't approve of, but brief and lacking chitchat, definitely, especially if I'd be emailing to/from my phone or something.

I tend to agree. I really hate the long, heartrending emails that seem to think it's a contest -- like "Queen for a Day" or something!

SplitPea

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 3:35 pm
ok so its not just me.. I am not looking for long heartfelt e-mails but complete sentences and maybe a grateful tone? I actually posted on my facebook a while back laughing at some of the post "looking for FREE excellent condition black leather reclining couches thanks!" GRRR really???? Come on people are so entitled on some of these lists... so I still have my item no one got took it from me.. into a good will bag it goes Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette