Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
How do you invite yourself over for Shabbos?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 7:16 pm
I got an open-ended invitation a few weeks ago to come over for Shabbos dinner sometime from a couple I know while my DH is out of town for two months. Why do I feel so weird taking them up on it? I feel like I'm saying, "HI, remember that invitation a few weeks ago? Well, here I am! How's this Shabbos?" Is that weird?

Honesty

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
I got an open-ended invitation a few weeks ago to come over for Shabbos dinner sometime from a couple I know while my DH is out of town for two months. Why do I feel so weird taking them up on it? I feel like I'm saying, "HI, remember that invitation a few weeks ago? Well, here I am! How's this Shabbos?" Is that weird?

It wouldnt be weird at all. Just call that lady and say, I was wondering if I can take up your kind offer for Shabbos this week. If you think shes hesitating just say, please be honest if youd rather not have guest this Shabbos.

She made the offer---was probably sincere about it. Unless you call her and cash in on it- you wont have the opportunity to spend a Shabbos together.

Hope you have a Great Shabbos.

Happy18

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:34 pm
I give open ended invitations all the time. I love when people take me up on them. I get so annoyed when I hear that one of my friends or one of my husbands friends is alone for shabbos while their spouse is away.

rachel6543

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 12:33 am
You shouldn't feel weird. Your friend wouldn't have made the offer if they didn't want you to come over. A few months ago the wife and kids of a good friend of my family were out of town and only the husband was staying home for shabbat. I was so happy that his wife called us asking if he could come to us for Shabbat dinner. We enjoy having guests and I was so happy to be able to help out.

bearyspecial

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 1:01 am
Most pple that give openended invitations really mean them but don't want to pressure you. I know I'm always giving such invitations & I'm really happy when they call to invite themselves, that way I know its a convenient time for them.

jackiejoel3

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 5:50 am
You can also say "I wanted to know if this was a good Shabbos for you to have us or would another week be better" That gives them the out if this week doesn't work. They can easily say. "Oh this Friday night doesn't work can you do lunch, next week etc. Then you don't have to feel like you are imposing.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 6:40 am
That's not inviting yourself over. You're already been invited and no need to feel awkward working out a specific date.

tovasara

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 10:28 am
I have to say, I've hardly ever been to anyone's house who said to me 'come over any time'. really they should follow up with an invitation, a real one, for a specific shabbos. If that shabbos isn't good for you, then you can feel free to suggest one that does work for you. But think about it, woudln't you feel more comfortable doing that if a specific, not general, invitation was extended?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics