Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Very long flight with children
Previous  1  2

juggler

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 3:32 am
When I travel long flights with my kids, I give each one their own mini backpack with a small drink or two, some nosh, crayons, coloring book (if your child likes music- you can bring a walkman with some tapes), and a travel etch-a-sketch or travel magnadoodle or some other easy small game. They know that if mammy and tatty are busy or resting, they can take whatever they want from their bags when they want. I usually take the bulkhead seat which gives you more room during the flight, but during takeoff and landing, you have to stow away all your bags. The other con with it is that usually the armrests of the bulkhead seats don't lift (to give a child two seats to sleep on). However, it really gives you much more room. If your baby is under a certain weight, they can attatch a mini-crib to the wall by the bulkhead seat.

1stimer

Post Mon, Mar 28 2005, 5:16 am
I had a bulkhead seat, they gave me a bassinet (which came in useful for storing things, well, if baby won't go in it...) but the armrests don't lift and the baby kept pushing off the armrests, whilst nursing ... ouch!!!!

Rivka

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 9:15 pm
Best seats are front seats they have more leg room. Phenergan is excellent for putting kids to sleep.

timeout

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 11:03 am
I'm leaving next Wednesday and am getting very nervous one stop in Madrid one Barcelona than Israel I have read so much information Bulkhead is good bulkhead is not good window is good no it's to cramped please people HELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!

Chanie

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 11:13 am
I dont have as long a flight as you, but it's still a flight. I have first a 1 1/2 hour drive to the airport and then 2 flights.... leaving my house about 12:30 I dont get to my destination until 10:30...
I'm not worried about the baby, I flew with a baby before.... the problem is the 2 year old. I'm so scared of how I'm going to keep him busy.
I have a small briefcase fr him which I plan on filling up with a bunch of stuff I can find in the $ store to entertain him but it's still going to be a very very long trip traveling with him. And then the night after that he has another wacko night with the seder. Oy vey!

timeout

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 11:16 am
My son keeps telling me Mommy I'm scared of the airplane maybe we can stay home ?

I have this nightmare of getting to the plane and my son throwing a fit that he won't go on.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 12:02 pm
guys after just recovering from a 20 hour trip alone with my son to south africa ( only sleeping for maybe 3 hours)..ASK for bulkheasd seats, they are the only way to manage, the only drawback is that the armrests don't lift, so if you have an extra seat you cannot lie down. the air hostess gave me a bassinet just to put on floor and my son played in it and slept there. and we must have walked around the plane 300 times, by the end of the plane I could tell you what colour shirt was in each seat.. by b'h he didn't complain too much and enjoyed the attention of fellow passengers.

oh if you ever travel..go through holland as a stopover, they have a really coll kids room for kids to play in while waiting for a plane.

Chanie

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 2:11 pm
Hey RL... great to see you...
But the suggestion to stop in Holland, I do not think that will work for me... a bit out of the way. I guess I'll just have to stick with my DC stopover :-(

sarahd

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 4:01 am
The airport in Zurich also has a nursery with a toy place for kids. IIRC, Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris also has something.

timeout

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 8:08 pm
Anybody ever have stop in Madrid?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 17 2005, 5:17 pm
Months later...
Hi, there, ladies! I'll be travelling next month with my 13 month old to E"Y. My husband will be with me, so we can take turns holding him...Problem is, will he allow us to hold him?? He loves to crawl and cruise around (or maybe by then, really walking)....
Pesach time we travelled. We took Amtrak one way and it was great because he was able to crawl around. The way back we took flights and it was a bit hard. When he was younger we took along the carrier/car seat. it's really only until 20 pounds and 26 inches...we used it on Amtrak for him to sleep in...he's already 31 inches and almost 23 pounds, think we should try it for our trip to Israel if we can get a bulkhead seat??
I think I'll ask the Doctor about cold medicine or the like for the flight...it shouldn't hurt... Wink (maybe I can take some, too??)

1stimer

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 4:35 pm
HELP! We're flying on Sunday with a very active 13 month old. He hates hates hates having to be confined. Any tips?

Also what food is good to pack for the day, since we will be out from 7:00 until 5:00 which is basically a whole days of food. I'm looking for ideas for food that doesn't need a fridge and isn't too messy.

Thanks!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Sep 29 2005, 9:41 pm
Hi. Well, according to my husband (and we've done it) cheese can last a long time out of the fridge. Also, I froze my son's bottle with milk, so he could have some by the time it defrosted. Plus I took another non-frozen bottle for the beginning of the trip. You can take pita, canned tuna, pastries.... Will you be having meals?

About keeping your baby busy....good luck! my son likes things with lids, so we brought one of those on our plane trips... we also let him walk the aisles a bit (we had him on a kid "leash" -- got some nice stares!)....good luck!

cr2005

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 10:59 am
hi well im traveling with a 3 and 18 month old in a couple of weeks, im planning to buy them sketch pads bring coloring books crayons, walkman, cd's ( my kids love music) all types of food. Little small water bottles are great its something kids of all ages really love. I know it'll be really hard, Ill just have to have all my 4 eyes opened Wink at all times. Oh I know its going to be really challenging but hopefully everything will turn out ok.
If theres any advice anyone has im all ears.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics