Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Have you ever done this?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:22 pm
bought something pre cooked or ready to put in oven
and told your guests you made it?

I confess I have...do you think it's really bad of me? it was not for a very formal event...just a social get together with my friends

Nuts

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:26 pm
No.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:29 pm
why would I even want to do that?

nope, never. If it is ready made I will tell people.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:50 pm
No. The worst I've done is not tell my guests that the cake they're eating came from a mix.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:53 pm
Why would I do that?

chanahlady

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 6:56 pm
It wouldn't occur to me to do that.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:05 pm
I was reading something about a society lady who took credit for everything done in her house, regardless of the fact that her staff did all the cooking and cleaning.

A guest might have thought that the kreplach we served 2 years ago, Erev Yom Kippur, were actually homemade and I did nothing to dissuage him .. I festered the whole year and I finally came clean.

He didn't remember anything about it !

Ronit

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:25 pm
Nopes.

geemum

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:27 pm
If I bought something I wouldn't hide that fact.
If I have kitchen help, I would pass of as my own (unless I really did nothing!)

Having help or buying in doesn't make you or me a bad wife/housekeeper etc etc - why hide it? We don't need to impress others.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:42 pm
yes

Simple1

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:44 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
No. The worst I've done is not tell my guests that the cake they're eating came from a mix.

same here.

Nuts

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 7:53 pm
I've seen people doing it when I knew for sure that somebody else baked or cooked the food.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 8:52 pm
A relative of mine once lied about a stunning mishloach manos she was passing on, a huge basket made from challah dough that looked very store-bought, and nobody believed her for a second. She looked like a huge fool and liar.

I'd never do it, bec. I love sharing the shortcuts I use with others.

mommyla

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:00 pm
Alice was to bake a cake for the church ladies' group bake sale, but she forgot to do it until the last minute. She baked an angel food cake and when she took it from the oven, the center had dropped flat. She said, "Oh dear, there's no time to bake another cake." So, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of the cake. Alice found it in the bathroom ... a roll of toilet paper. She plunked it in and covered it with icing.

The finished product looked beautiful, so she rushed it to the church. Alice then gave her daughter some money and instructions to be at the sale the minute it opened and to buy that cake and bring it home. When the daughter arrived at the sale ... the attractive cake had already been sold.

Alice was beside herself. A couple of days later, Alice was invited to a friend's home where two tables of bridge were to be played that afternoon. After the game a fancy lunch was served, and to top it off, the cake in question was presented for dessert. Alice saw the cake, she started to get out of her chair to rush into the kitchen to tell her hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, one of the other ladies said, "What a beautiful cake!"

Alice sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (a prominent church member) say ... "Thank you; I baked it myself."

BennysMommy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:10 pm
mommyla wrote:
Alice was to bake a cake for the church ladies' group bake sale, but she forgot to do it until the last minute. She baked an angel food cake and when she took it from the oven, the center had dropped flat. She said, "Oh dear, there's no time to bake another cake." So, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of the cake. Alice found it in the bathroom ... a roll of toilet paper. She plunked it in and covered it with icing.

The finished product looked beautiful, so she rushed it to the church. Alice then gave her daughter some money and instructions to be at the sale the minute it opened and to buy that cake and bring it home. When the daughter arrived at the sale ... the attractive cake had already been sold.

Alice was beside herself. A couple of days later, Alice was invited to a friend's home where two tables of bridge were to be played that afternoon. After the game a fancy lunch was served, and to top it off, the cake in question was presented for dessert. Alice saw the cake, she started to get out of her chair to rush into the kitchen to tell her hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, one of the other ladies said, "What a beautiful cake!"

Alice sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (a prominent church member) say ... "Thank you; I baked it myself."

love it!

Chloe

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:27 pm
I haven't, but maybe I would do just the opposite if something I made didn't come out as expected Wink .

pumpkinsbubby

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:28 pm
We had a Shabbos/yomtov guest who came every single Shabbos for lunch and also for yomim tovim. On Shavuos I served frozen cheese blintzes which I fried myself and served with sour cream and fruit. Every Shavuos he complimented the blintzes and said they were so good I should package them and sell them, LOL! I never had the courage to tell him they were store bought Sad

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:40 pm
That reminds me of a friend complimenting her hostess on the "homemade" challah, that was actually baked from Kinneret (frozen dough).

hahahahah

realeez

Post Sun, Jul 03 2011, 9:43 pm
I was once at a friend when another guest asked her if she made the gefilte fish herself. When answering, she thought the guest meant if she baked/boiled it as opposed to buying it ready from a store or in a jar and answered that yes she did. Only a few minutes later did we both realize what the question really meant and tried not to laugh when we looked at each other but by then it was too late to start explaining!

lkwdmommy

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 2:28 pm
I would not necessarily provide the info but if someone asked how I made something, I'd tell them it was bought (or someone else made it). I have no need to appear as a perfect superwoman who does everything with no help.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette