Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do u call ur mil?
1  2  3  Next

healthywoman

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:03 pm
if you dont call her ima/ma etc what do you call her when ur trying to get her attention?

myself

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:06 pm
Um, I don't. Though it is a little complicated sometimes.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:06 pm
Ummm....

That's what I call my MIL, as in "Ummmm.....[til MIL looks at me] and then I say what I want.

Petra

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:09 pm
I call her by her first name. She has never asked me to call her anything nor directed me to call her by this or that so I never knew what to do. I usually did what other posters have done. When speaking to her I would address her directly but I would not call her Ima, Mrs X, Mom... One day (18 yrs later) she says to me, "Why don't you ever call me by my first name?"

Maybe I should have asked earlier!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:25 pm
I also do the umm... thing. I think I used her first name once. I don't know what to call her!!

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:27 pm
I actually once called her Mommy, like her kids do and BIL made fun of me, so I don't do it anymore cuz I'm embarrassed.

skymile

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:29 pm
I call her shviger. all previous SIL and BILs do... I'm the first in my fam and my mother hates it when my hub calls her shviger, but he is so used to it so he just doesn't call her. he's like- tell you mother.....

crystal

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:41 pm
This topic is so funny for me! All my sil/bil call her shvigger but I was never able to break and do it. So, yeah- she's uuummm... almost 8 years!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:47 pm
I would like to be respectful and call my MIL shviger but she insists on being called by her first name. When the kids are around I call her bubby.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:53 pm
my husband doesnt usually call my parents anything. He always says 'tell your mother' or something like that. But in desperate times, like if he is on the phone with my father and needs to talk to my mom he will say "can I talk to Mommy?"

I dont call my ILs anything

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

SunshineWoman

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:59 pm
It is actually pretty funny. Both my dh and I feel uncomfortable referring directly to our in laws by their first names. (If I am talking to my mother I will refer to my mil by her first name) However, my sil refers to my mil by her first name. Though she has been in the family a lot longer than I....When writing letters to my mil I might write To my favorite mil.....or fil...

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:14 pm
My MIL died when my husband was a kid, so I never met her. My grandmother said she called her MIL "hey, you" until my mother was born- then she just called her grandma.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:16 pm
My MIL a"h is no longer alive. But when we were first married, I know she wanted me to call her Mommy, which I never did because I thought it would be disrespectful to my mother. Now that she's no longer here, I wish I had a second chance.
I am now a MIL and it really makes me happy when the in-law kids call me Ma or Mommy.
On the other hand, one of my married daughters called her MIL ma, and her MIL asked, "Why are you calling me that, I'm not your mother, call me shvigger." So go know! Best thing if you're not sure is to ask what they'd like to be called and do as they please.

hadasa

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:16 pm
Slichah.

myself

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:20 pm
crystal wrote:
This topic is so funny for me! All my sil/bil call her shvigger but I was never able to break and do it. So, yeah- she's uuummm... almost 8 years!

Same here.

shoshina

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:13 pm
First name. Apparently, my MIL had no idea what to call my FIL's parents and so followed the "ummmmmmm" strategy. The day we got engaged she said "Please call me_______" and its been that way ever since.

newmother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:48 pm
I call my MIL mommy and dh does the same for my mother. It was uncomfortable the first couple of times but now it is so normal to call her that.

Maybe it's just me but I think it is so sad that people can go their entire lives calling their MIL's ummm. She should be a pretty important person in your life, if just for the fact that it's your dh's mother!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:36 pm
B****! Obviously not to her face.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:48 pm
Mommy because that's what her kids call her and she loves it. Not in front of my mother though- never had that situation yet since ILs live overseas. My mother is Ma Smile
I have not heard my DH call my parents anything.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:13 pm
I call her Bubbe. I would be happy to call her mom, which is what my DH calls her, but none of the other SILs or BILs do, so it would be wierd. I don't like calling her by her first name.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette