Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do u call ur mil?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

honeygold

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:16 pm
I just call my mil mommy like her kids do

Happy18

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:18 pm
I call her the same thing my husband does. But DH doesnt call my parents anything and it makes them crazy!!!

mom & more

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:26 pm
Ma - her kids call her Mommy and I call my mom "mommy" - my mil says u only have one mommy!!so some of my sil/bil call her ma (although some of them call her shvigger and she HATES it!!)

chanahlady

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:57 pm
I use her first name. And FIL's first name. It'd feel weird for me to say anything else, I think.

mimismile

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:00 pm
mu mil is 'ma'

healthywoman

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:01 pm
e/o calls my mil ima but I dont feel comfy since I have a mother already.
for those of you who call her shviger how does that work?
shviger, what are you doing today?? sounds a little wierd.
also not calling her bubby if im talking to her- like bubby can u pass salt? also wierd for me

I usually end up with umm or wait till she looks at me, or go up to her and ask her something.
was wondering if I was the only one but seems like im not alone!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:40 pm
I was gunna say B****h but someone beat me to it. But, then again, that could go for any one of the numerous relatives in his family.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 11:06 pm
My mil was not alive when I got engaged. But when my fil remarried, THAT was awkward! I seriously didn't know what to call her. It wasn't a major problem, till I once needed to call her from upstairs... I didn't call her even though I needed to, because I couldn't! But we are best friends- I love her.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 3:37 am
She's not my mother, and I'm BH not an orphan. No mama here!

I call her by her first name, as she told me to. Now sometimes also like DD calls her

buzz

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 3:52 am
Ima for my mil and I never thought otherwise! Uba for my fil and yeah my oldest nil made fun of mr in the beginning but I didnt care and my mother is mummy my father is Uba!!

My dh is Uba, I am ima, so we have 3 uba's in the family! I love my inlays and we are all close to each other both sides both ways b"H!!

cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 6:23 am
I call her Ima though my bil calls her shvigger and I think my other sil doesn't call her anything.
My mom is usually mommy or ma and only very very rarely ima.
My father is abba and so is my shver.

sunny90

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 7:28 am
I've called my ILs Mum and Dad since we got engaged. My dh calls my parents Ima and Abba, like my family does. (It's easy since we call them different things--no confusion!) It was a little weird the first few times but I'm glad I started right away, now its so normal.

WastingTime

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 2:01 pm
when we got engaged my inlaws said (im not sure to me or through husband) to call them by first name...my FIL's israeli so that was an obvious. but to me that sounded crazy and I felt uncomfortbale with that idea, and felt it was direspectful, so I told them I would call them like my husband does.... BIG MISTAKE! my SIL subsequently got married, and her husband calls them by name....im stuck now with the calling grandma or feeling akward. the thing was also my parents are so into children in law calling them ema and abba, and they refer to themselves and eachother as that, that it made it much easier for my husband to call them ema and abba ( and we live in the same country, unlike inlaws so he has more oppurtunity). my MIL calls herself mom to me but seems uncomfortable, and my FIL just says "hi" when he calls. the worst is when I have to talk to one inlaw about the other...somehow "your husband said" doesn't seem right. sometimes I think on going back on it and calling FIL by name, and refering to MIL by her name to him..... I think he would prefer it....how young and naive I was! sorry for the ramble, theyre visiting in the summer, and this conversation is making me nervous!

monkey

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 2:18 pm
I refer to my mil by her first name...but I wouldn't do it to her face...

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 3:48 pm
In my head "voldemort" LOL
Directly no titles were used.

lucinda

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 5:12 pm
my mother in law wants me to call her 'mother in law'. no kidding. apparently she thought for days about it. I'd rather not speak to her than have to call her that. I suggested other names but nope...

amother

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 8:12 pm
that is so funny lol, "would you like some coffee, mother in law"? - like you are acting in a play or something, pointing out who she is!Smile

I call mine by her name, Lea, but I usually just call her by her nickname "lay" like her friends do

bubby

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 9:58 pm
Dead.

well, she is. What

I used to call her by her first name, which worked well for us. We had a pretty good relationship, all things considered. Hey, she raised her son so she deserves Hakoros HaTov & respect. I was fonder of FIl, though, he was a warmer personality. But MIL was a nice lady, just very reserved. She didn't get me at all!!

amother

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 10:05 pm
I was never comfortable using the term that her children use, so I didn't call her anything. Now that our dd is old enough to call her something, I use the same term. For various reasons, it happens to be the same term her own kids use, so there ya go!

amother

Post Sat, Jul 09 2011, 10:20 pm
My dh and I both call our respective in laws "mama" and "papa". We both come from Russian families and culturally it would be weird to call them otherwise.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette