Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
DD's periods VERY heavy!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:10 pm
DD has been getting her period for about 6 months now. The past 4 cycles have been crazy heavy. She soaks through pads pretty quickly. She also leaks onto her sheets for t least 3 nights. I introduced her to tampons so that helps a bit. I will bring it up with her doctor but is this normal for a 13 year old?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:09 pm
Deff. take her to a dr. This is not normal and don't let a dr. tell you it is. She is prbably low iron and she shouldn't suffer like that.

morah

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:31 pm
I had crazy heavy periods as a teen- it's not unusual, but that doesn't make it normal either. A common remedy is birth control pills- obviously the doctor has to make that call, but just letting you know you should be prepared for that suggestion.

Kayza

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
DD has been getting her period for about 6 months now. The past 4 cycles have been crazy heavy. She soaks through pads pretty quickly. She also leaks onto her sheets for t least 3 nights. I introduced her to tampons so that helps a bit. I will bring it up with her doctor but is this normal for a 13 year old?

Insist that the doctor check her thyroid, iron and Vitmin D.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:04 pm
OP here,
Thank you for all your suggestions. I was going to call her doctor in the am. But would this question be addressed better by a gynocologist?

chanahlady

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:20 pm
I had that when I first started menstruation. Tons of pain, too. I went on the pill and it really helped. I would suggest going to a gyn rather than a general practitioner.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:27 pm
I had that too as a kid and till today I have long periods and always clean up after tons of days.. im curious to know does iron and vitamin d really help? can u explain it please?

SunshineWoman

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 7:57 pm
I would go to the gynecologist. While it is not the most comfortable experience, it will give you (and dd) peace of mind knowing IH that everything is okay. Additionally it will give DD the opportunity to ask any pending questions she may have.

Kayza

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
OP here,
Thank you for all your suggestions. I was going to call her doctor in the am. But would this question be addressed better by a gynocologist?
The basic blood work can be done by a regular doctor. Anemia is not likely to be the cause of her issue, but could be a result. Both low thyroid and and low Vitamin D can mess with menstruation, and correcting this issues is a much better route than the Pill or letting her suffer.

If the bloodwork all comes out normal, and trip to a gynecologist might be a good idea.

Pizza

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 11:56 pm
definitely have the medical aspect checked out
my periods have gotten MUCH heavier in the past few years, and I have found that sucking/nibbling on cinnamon sticks helps a LOT

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 06 2011, 12:31 am
Please take her to a frum, or frum friendly, gyn, who will not assume she lies about her lifestyle or "will need the pill anyway" or will want to look inside for no reason.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children