Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
You do WHAT?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:16 pm
Lilly, I thought e/one does the dripping of wine/grapejuice when saying the makos and the simanim....

mirisimma

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:48 pm
seven that soooo interesting. I dont get the hair cut thing though

also learned not to throw out bread till its spoiled, so I have a bread waiting to be spoiled bag on my fridge. (when I got older found out it wasnt a minhag but actuallt halacha, not to throw out bread of any size)

then my firedn told me her mom taught her to kiss bread if she had to rhow it out

Mommish

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:04 pm
We do a lot of the ones that were mentioned, but I have heard different reasons for some of them. My husband throws the bread because its like the mann falling from heaven, but I taught him about not giving it to someone in their hand. We pour out the wine on pesach into a bowl and pour it out, we laugh during havdalah. In my parents' home we did the scallion thing and the egg smashing thing...

shopaholic

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:18 am
I was always told NOT to throw bread (specifically more than other foods)! Can't remember why though.

ny21

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:21 am
from my bobie

when u see somthing disturbing - or hear of it

you spit three times.

chen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:11 am
OOmine as opposed to Awmane has nothing to do with chassidus and everything to do with The Great Vowel Shift, IOW where in Europe you came from. Genyoowine Litvaks eat kugel and say awmane when someone makes the brocha on the Tayreh which was given to Mayshe. Galitzyaners, Poles, Hungarians et. al. eat keegl and say oomine when someone makes a broocha on the Toyreh given to Moyshe. Because there are few genyoowine Litvaks left, and because the various communities have mingled, intermarried and shared spheres of influence, bochurim in Litvish yeshivos are doing bizarre things like saying awmane to the brochos on the toyre. Sigh.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 7:43 pm
lol chen.. that was very funny.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:25 pm
chen wrote:
Because there are few genyoowine Litvaks left, and because the various communities have mingled, intermarried and shared spheres of influence, bochurim in Litvish yeshivos are doing bizarre things like saying awmane to the brochos on the toyre. Sigh.

Not me! I have an authentic Litvish accent. Cheers

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:26 pm
(Also I'm not a bochur, but that wasn't the point of the post. ;-))

amother

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:29 pm
There are women who bake the honey cake for their son's upsherin only when they are not a nidda. And if they are niddah on the upsherin day, they should touch the boy as little as possible.
There are also women who knit the gartel for their son's bar mitzvah only while non nidah.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 3:04 am
In my dad's family they don't cut the hair of little boys until 3 (less and less ppl are following this nowadays, at least in France).

I have been taught not to put the bread upside down (when it is obvious that there is a side that is made for being up), although I don't know if it is Polish minhag or French superstition LOL

My grandmother has tons of Ladino phrases for when you sneeze, go to sleep...

chen

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 7:25 am
Crayon210 wrote:

Not me! I have an authentic Litvish accent. Cheers

Oh, thank goodness there are still a few of us left! Wink But even I am starting to get a little confusled now and then, thanks to ds coming home with the horrendous mongrel patois they use in yeshivoh. Not to mention that we got that Belzer CD in the mail and everyone goes around singing "Roymemeeeehee, shabcheeeehee..."

First time I heard a galitzyaner get an aliyoh in shul I almost choked ch"v trying not to laugh aloud. B"H I'm used to it by now, but still have to silently translate sometimes. Ppl must think I'm either hard of hearing or mentally slow: it takes a while to respond if you have to first decode what thye're saying.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 7:49 am
Quote:
bochurim in Litvish yeshivos are doing bizarre things like saying awmane to the brochos on the toyre. Sigh.

Like my 5 1/2 year old who goes to a very yeshivish yeshiva and came home saying we should call him "yakoiv" chaim, instead of the standard Yaakov chaim, we have been calling him.

ny21

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 8:09 am
my bobie would wear a red ribbon in her clothing
and put one on the carriage
she would turn on every light in the house
when someone had a new baby.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 10:26 am
Admittedly, my accent has been adopted, but I am a purist nevertheless. ;-)

momofgirls

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 10:43 am
I never heard of not kissing mezuzahs when niddah, I gotta ask dh about that.

Buddy

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 12:03 pm
there's a chassidish minhag to make fun of the chazan simchas torah at minchah. 2 yrs ago, I was abt to leave shul when soemone told me to stay if I want a good laugh. The rabbi of the shul's son-in-law was davening (he was quite drunk) & during shmone esra, they tied up his feet, blocked him w/ a chair, took away his machzur & who knows wut.. the boys were also 'connecting' eveyones tallis during quiet shmone esra, t'was a big job to untangle all the tzitzis...

my grandfather collects the challach crumbs after giving out challah & puts some in everyone's fish plate... my father just eats it or gives it to the kids...

some chassidish men eat fish with their hands Rolling Eyes (that must come all the way from avraham avenu - b/f forks were invented LOL )

I heard there's a minhag in skver to put a baby in a drawer, I think it's cuz a drawer used to be improvised and used as a cradel (take it out of course & line it w/ pillows)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 1:04 pm
the fish eaten with hands thing is b/c of borer, right?

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 3:55 pm
Why is using a fork borer?

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 4:04 pm
Quote:
there's a chassidish minhag to make fun of the chazan simchas torah at minchah.

that happens with us by Musaf.
when he takes three steps back for "Oseh Shalom Bimromav" someone steps up and flips him.

and its a given that on Simchas Torah anyone who sits down will find himself bound by his gartel to his chair or to the next guy sitting next to him. or his shoelaces tied together, etc.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics