Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Post Yom Tov Blues

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:26 am
Even though the preparations for yom tov are hard and things are hectic, I always feel a bit sad when it is all over. We still haven't put away our succah and it will be sad taking it down for another year. Also, I feel like I don't have much to look forward to until Chanukah. Anyone else feel the same?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:34 am
Sure!

cindy324

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:34 am
Sure, especially because you've got a whole month of yom tovim, so it's hard to get back into the mundane. At this point , I start looking forward to getting the winter over with, since I hate the cold.

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 1:36 pm
I hate the cold and winter too!!! I read that there is an actual form of depression that happens to some people when the days get shorter and there is less sunlight. I think this happens to me, because I feel so down this time of year and so upbeat in the spring and summer!

timeout

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 1:50 pm
Especially if you don't have a car like me (my DH has it) I don't get out much in the winter and my dd is stuck home with me. I get very clausterphobic!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 2:00 pm
Get yourself nice boots and a warm coat and go out! There are plenty of simchas, shiurim, and shopping/errands to do. Enjoy them.

Come have coffee with me in my new apt, if you're feeling blue!

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 5:50 pm
SaraG - I'm afraid I am too far away! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:26 pm
Marney, whenever you're in town, it's somthing good for just US!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:33 pm
I can totally relate. We went to visit relatives over Sukkos and now that I'm home I just feel so down.

cindy324

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:59 pm
Quote:
I read that there is an actual form of depression that happens to some people when the days get shorter and there is less sunlight.

Yep, it's called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder.

we also spent succos and 2nd days too at friends' house, so it was really nice to have the constant company, the festivity at all the meals, and now it's back to every day life. Oh well, there's always shabbos to look forward to. I like to have a lot of company, especially now when Friday nights are so long. that is the only thing I like about winter. Nothing like staying up with a good book, peace and quiet....Ahhh

chayalife

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:10 pm
speaking of a good book. do you have any recomendations , not non jewish novels. but biographys, historical or israel related.. frum novels are ok,.,, anyone?

elkayed

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:21 am
I really get this feeling of dread when the weather gets colder! I hate the cold..the bundling up..the coats and ice! But I make myself look forward to the winter things that happen. My 2 kids bdays are in the winter..my bday and anniversary...Thanksgiving with lots of company..and this winter a wedding in the family...hopefully winter will be over before I know it!

chen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:53 am
cindy324 wrote:

Yep, it's called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Have you ever wondered: did they name the disorder and then discover --hey lookie! it spells "Sad"!--or did they say "let's think of a name for the disorder that will spell "Sad"? (maybe a little of both)

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:58 am
yep I'm suffering from SAD too.

never heard of it.but happens to me every year!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:19 am
Yep, Marney you've captured the feeling. The color for Cheshvan is grey. Grey skies, grey everything.

But I do love it when the kids are back in school, and back in their seforim, studying every day. That's one thing to look forward to. The real learning is beginning now.

my dd came home all excited. On the first day back to school they announced that the Sefer haMitzvos Chidon booklet will be issued and she wants to compete.

Just to add a little chassidic twist: one of the Rebbeim said that whether a chossid is for real is seen not in how he behaves on Simchas Torah, ( on which it comes naturally) to rejoice with the Torah and fulfilling its commandments , but whether he exhibits the same enthusiasm and warmth for Torah and Mitzvos on a regular "mitvuch"(wednesday) in Cheshvan.

french mummy

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:57 am
Well I have also sufer from the anti clim@x after Yom Tov but I try to focus on the next fun thing to do so it keeps me busy and not so sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics