Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
College in canada- toronto to be specific

sayinghi

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 12:08 pm
hi,

there is a large possibility that we may be moving to toronto. I cuurently have a bachelors degree and was looking to furhter my education ( a masters program) or maybe nursing..still undecided.
I was just wondering if any body had info about college there, specificaly about:

cost in general
financial aid available
loans

and most importantly if a degree in canada is recognized in america (if we move back)

thanks so much, any links or info u have would be great!

mom2cutee

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 12:26 pm
Hi
I am from toronto although I have never gone to college there. I can give you the name of 2 very reputable colleges there and I guess you can google from there. I am almost sure there is financial aid but it may be for Canadians only. I hope that helps you.
George Brown College
Seneca College
Good luck
ps if you have any other questions about TO in general feel free pm me.

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 12:37 pm
I think OP means university, not college. They are not interchangeable.

Toronto has York University, University of Toronto. University of Guelph has some joint programs with Humber College, with courses taking place near the airport (Toronto, not Guelph).

Costwise...it's less than in the U.S.! I don't know how graduate school works, but I think undergraduate is still under $10K/year. (University tuition is cheaper than dayschool tuition.)

someoneoutthere

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 1:21 pm
Marion wrote:

Toronto has York University, University of Toronto. University of Guelph has some joint programs with Humber College, with courses taking place near the airport (Toronto, not Guelph).

Costwise...it's less than in the U.S.! I don't know how graduate school works, but I think undergraduate is still under $10K/year. (University tuition is cheaper than dayschool tuition.)

1) In Canada, College is not University. College is the application of knowledge, ie. trades, and the University is the aquisition/creation of knowlege, ie. 4 yrs to study whatever for whatever's sake....and walk out with a B.A. or a B.S.

2) Tuition is subsidized by the government if you are a resident of the province or citizen of the country (not sure what the details are for either, but a student visa isn't the same as either of those options) so a local will pay about 8000-9000 pre-supplies for University.

3)There are the option Marion suggested but also Ryerson University. York, UofT, Ryerson, and Humber (which has some UoGuelph options) all are located in Toronto and easily accessible by public transit.

4) Your degree, depending what it is, will be recognized in the states but if you're doing Nursing, you'll need to write the US certification tests, or Board Exams. They're offered in Toronto every year for recent graduates. Then, you'll have to keep up your US certification as you would your canadian.

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 1:33 pm
someoneoutthere wrote:
Marion wrote:

1) In Canada, College is not University. College is the application of knowledge, ie. trades, and the University is the aquisition/creation of knowlege, ie. 4 yrs to study whatever for whatever's sake....and walk out with a B.A. or a B.S.

2) Tuition is subsidized by the government if you are a resident of the province or citizen of the country (not sure what the details are for either, but a student visa isn't the same as either of those options) so a local will pay about 8000-9000 pre-supplies for University.

3)There are the option Marion suggested but also Ryerson University. York, UofT, Ryerson, and Humber (which has some UoGuelph options) all are located in Toronto and easily accessible by public transit.

4) Your degree, depending what it is, will be recognized in the states but if you're doing Nursing, you'll need to write the US certification tests, or Board Exams. They're offered in Toronto every year for recent graduates. Then, you'll have to keep up your US certification as you would your canadian.
Forgot Ryerson, thanks! I'd be surprised if Ryerson offered Nursing though... Your best bet for nursing is probably UofT as they have affiliations with all the big name hospitals (Mount Sinai, Women's College, Sick Kids'). York/Humber might have a joint program as well.

Even for non-residents university tuition is cheaper than in the U.S. 15 years ago one year's tuition for a U.S. student at a Canadian university was $5,500. Hence my estimate of $10K/year.

sheindl

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 3:10 pm
Ryerson has a 4-year BSc in Nursing program, but it is for those who are starting from scratch. UofT has some nursing programs, and York actually has a 2-yr nursing program for internationally educated nurses which gets them re-certified in Canada. Two of my friends from the States did this option.

sayinghi

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 3:19 pm
OP here,

Thanks for all your help!

wow, it seems like I have alot to find out about!
im glad tohear that costs are lower and this is a more specific question but does anybody know if you need to be a resident of canada for a specific amount of time before you can get subsidized help?
I know in the US most places need u to live there for a yr first...

Marion

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 3:33 pm
For tuition and financial aid information I'd visit the websites of the schools you're interested in.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 12 2011, 4:07 pm
as a visa student, you will pay far more for school than we canadians and permanent residents.

mcmaster has a nursing school and hamilton is a nice place to live as well. btw re moving back to the states, canada has traditionally had nursing drains to the us. pass your exams and off you go.

I don't know if you can do nursing grad school without a bachelors in nursing to start with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating