Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Desperate for a dishwasher

sushilover

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 12:56 pm
I do not enjoy washing dishes.

let me rephrase that. I DESPISE washing dishes. It disgusts me, it's boring, and it has to be done every , single day!!!! My greatest dream is to have a dishwasher, but I rent my apartment and the kitchen is not that big.
Did anyone here ever install a dishwasher in a rented apartment? Is it practical? Is it feasible? What did you do when you left that apartment?

thanks in advance for your advice!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 12:59 pm
There are portable dishwashers that don't need permanent installation.

HavingItAll

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:01 pm
We bought a portable dishwasher that had to be plugged in to the sink. It was noisy and awkward and clunky but, like you, it was a very high priority for me. Our next move didn't have a dishwasher so I kept it; when we bought our house, we had an installed dishwasher so sold the portable, although I understand you can have a portable dishwasher built in without too much trouble.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:30 pm
sushilover wrote:
I do not enjoy washing dishes.

let me rephrase that. I DESPISE washing dishes. It disgusts me, it's boring, and it has to be done every , single day!!!! My greatest dream is to have a dishwasher, but I rent my apartment and the kitchen is not that big.
Did anyone here ever install a dishwasher in a rented apartment? Is it practical? Is it feasible? What did you do when you left that apartment?

thanks in advance for your advice!

We rented an apt with a non-kosher dishwasher that was not kasherable. Our landlord agreed to go fifty-fifty with us in paying for a new one. The old one was quite old anyway, so it did add value to the apt. We got a floor sample, so we were able to afford a really good one for a very reasonable price. And my dh did the installation himself, to reduce the cost. We left it when we moved, which was the deal. It was very, very worthwhile for me. Before my child was born, dishes were manageable. Once I had him, I needed that extra help, and it worked.

HavingItAll

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:30 pm
We bought a portable dishwasher that had to be plugged in to the sink. It was noisy and awkward and clunky but, like you, it was a very high priority for me. Our next move didn't have a dishwasher so I kept it; when we bought our house, we had an installed dishwasher so sold the portable, although I understand you can have a portable dishwasher built in without too much trouble.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 2:05 pm
My mother also suggested a portable dishwasher but I simply have no room. Maybe in my next apartment.
Op, I suggest looking into them and I am so on your page- I HATE DISHES.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:24 pm
Do you have room for a regular size dishwasher? I installed a dishwasher in a rented apartment. I have terrible backaches from washing dishes and it was just the worst job for me. I got it almost for free, so we decided to install it. I'd even have been willing to take out a cabinet and install it there. The cost was worth it for me.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:31 pm
A dishwasher is actually quite a simple appliance. You just need power and water.

If you don't want to install it where some cabinets might are, you can wheel a portable from some hidden area during the day, and run it at night. You can even cover it with a sheet or something.

kitchen designer

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:43 pm
There are small dishwashers for sale called countertop dishwashers. They aren't very big (don't wash many dishes at a time)

Sara89

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 4:57 pm
dh bought me a portable one for anniversary present Smile
just got it so didnt use it yet. I can let u know how it works.
there are lots of different options and different sizes.
mine is 18 in (I wanted a smaller one so it wouldnt look out of place in my tiny kitchen) and on wheels...keep u posted...

sushilover

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 6:05 pm
wow guys, thanks so much! I never even heard of portable dishwashers before. I'll definitely be looking into it!

faigie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 7:22 pm
use plastic plates.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 7:24 pm
http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/.....shers

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 7:26 pm
Wow, those are pricey!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 10:44 am
Plates are the least of your problems.