Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Fleishig or milichig?

for american guests in israel would you make a fleishig supper or a milichig one?
fleishig  
 64%  [ 9 ]
milichig  
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 12:57 am
I invited an american family vacationing in israel for a weekday supper.
should I make it milichig or fleishig? (since in israel you eat milichig for supper and in america fleishig)

Also menue ideas and recips will be greatly appriciated - this is the first time I'm doing something like this.

if it mkaes a difference they have three kids 13,8 and 1.

thanks!

Last edited by cinnamon on Sun, Jul 24 2011, 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

drumjj

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:37 am
I always make fleishic meals for guests or parve in case they have kids or anyone in the family who cant eat milk products.
you could make something like meatballs? its pretty easy

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 2:29 am
I personally like making milcigs when I have company bc otherwisei never make a nice mlchig meal. why dont you ask the mother of the children....especially about allergies. milichigs I would make pizza, ive only met one kid who doesnt like that, and then salads/pasta maybe buy a nice bread and cheeses for adults. dont know .....ask them what they prefer....good luck

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 2:37 am
I would do something just a bit fancier than a regular meal. Definitely call in advance to make sure there are no allergies in the family, and tell them it's milchig in advance so they aren't fleishig when they come.

You could do omlettes, fucacia, cheeses, olives, salads, a pashtida or a pasta dish, if you have AC maybe a soup as a first course, if you're looking to serve more of a "real" meal add fish, but I don't think you need it. Serve fresh fruits for desert.
I'm guessing your guests would enjoy a more typical Israeli dinner, that's part of being tourists in another country.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 2:43 am
added a poll so its easier to see the results.

I think pizza for the kids is a good idea if I make it milichig. I wouldn't make omletts b/c you have to make them last minute and I rather have everything ready so I can sit with everyone, but a pashtida would be nice.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 4:11 am
Where did you get the idea that in america they eat more fleishig than milichig? When I was living there, I served more milichig/pareve than fleishig.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 4:46 am
yo'ma wrote:
Where did you get the idea that in america they eat more fleishig than milichig? When I was living there, I served more milichig/pareve than fleishig.

They don't necessarily eat more fleishig but they eat fleishig for supper. At least thats what my grandmother did and thats what my aunts do.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 7:18 am
bump.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:11 am
I think it is completely up to you; both can be very tasty. Considering how hot it has been something on the cool side; tacos with a bean dip and sour cream, gaucamole etc. might be much more appreciated than a heavy fleshig meal...at least I'd prefer!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:14 am
I think you can make either and because I love milchigs and its HOT out there, make a light milchig meal. Salads, things like that.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:16 am
Oh and in some communities (from what I've read here) they eat fleishig 3 course meals every night with appetizers on a weeknight!!! We're not like that at all. Everyone I know has a variety, every night is something different, and no three courses of anything.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 9:11 pm
You are a dear to want to accomodate them, but they will be far happier to eat what you usually eat. They have a come along way to see something different, and want to experience how you live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics