Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you keep pareve?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

do you keep pareve?
yes we have pareve pots and washing up sponges  
 5%  [ 7 ]
yes we have pareve pots, washing up sponges and serving utensils  
 5%  [ 8 ]
yes we have pareve pots, washing up sponges, serving utensils and serving platters  
 0%  [ 0 ]
yes we have pareve pots, washing up sponges, serving utensils, serving platters, baking pans  
 33%  [ 46 ]
yes we have all the above and also pareve plates and silverware  
 2%  [ 3 ]
yes we have all the above and also a pareve sink  
 2%  [ 4 ]
no we cook pareve in milchig or fleishg pots  
 44%  [ 62 ]
yes we have pareve pots but wash them with milchig sponges  
 2%  [ 3 ]
what is pareve?  
 1%  [ 2 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 139

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 7:00 am
My daughter came back from a friend after shabbos and said that we are one of the only families that she has ever seen who keeps "pareve".

Meaning that the other families have pareve food but it is always cooked in fleishig or milchig pots. They don't have a pareve sponge, scotch brite or toughie to clean pots, because they don't own a pareve pot, and unlike us therefore they don't have pareve utensils.

We have pareve baking pans, pareve pots, a pareve scotch brite and toughie (that's the stuff that doesn't absorb that you can use on shabbos), pareve serving dishes, pareve serving utensils (ladle, spoon, etc.) and because we have vegetarians in the house, even a few pareve plates, knives, forks and spoons.

We don't have a pareve sink, a pareve stove, or even pareve placemats. We hold that a pareve pot can be washed in either sink as long as it doesn't touch the sides (we hold it in the air). As the pareve plates are usually for serving, not eating, and people are eating on either milchig or fleishig plates, we don't need pareve placemats. Also the bottom of the pareve serving plate or platter which gets put down on the table isn't touching food anyhow so that's not any kind of inyan.

My daughter claims that she has never seen an MO/DL family here in EY who even has a pareve pot. And she asked me to ask on Imamother if this is a charedi thing or whether her friends are wierd.

So...answers? I'm also posting this in the general section to get a general opinion. TIA

Rodent

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 7:17 am
No parev here. Had it when we were first married and found it more trouble than it was worth so streamlined.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 7:38 am
I had a parve pot for a while but then needed to make a big batch of (milichig) onion soup and my milichig pot wasn't big enough so it became milichig. In general parve stuff don't stay parve for long.
The only thing I do keep parve is my cutting board and two vegetable knives. Because if you cut something parev with a fleishig knife and/or cutting board it becomes mamash fleishig and not only 'bechezkat besari'
I clean the baord and knives after every use with soap, hot water and my hand - no skotch needed, though I learned that cleaning parev things with milichig/fleishig skotch and COLD water will not affect their status.

(I am israeli chareidi)

oh and parev things might be generational my mil has parev everything (except plates and cutlery) and she is crazy about "keeping it parev"

*disclamer : I am not a posek, the above halacha statements are not a psak. (in fact I am not sure if it is true for all pareve things or just the spicy ones - onions, garlic etc.)

LisaS

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 7:42 am
When we lived in the US we had parve pots, dish rack, sponges, utensils, etc. When we made aliya we no longer had room for 3 sets of dishes, so everything became either milchig, fleishig, or give away. Today I only have a parve knife to be used for cutting onions in salads.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 7:46 am
Oh my. I grew up in a totally non Charedi household and my mom only cooked in pareve pots!!! Unless she was cooking something with meat or milk! So, vegetable soups, rice, all other side dishes - all prepared in strictly pareve pots. I have pareve tupperware - actually, most of my storage containers are pareve. I keep pareve utensils for stirring and serving pareve foods. My cutting board and knives are all pareve. I wash pareve in the milchig sink with a separate "scotch". Sometimes I'll use the milchig one if I can't find it as long as the water is cold. I used to have a pareve dish towel but nowadays I use the milchig one usually.

That being said, my husband's family all do their cooking in fleishig pots.
Too complicated for me.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:06 am
Parve all the way! Love parve stuff Smile

elaela

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:13 am
we have parve pots, pans, sink, sponges, knives, cutting boards, oven and a cooking area (whihc I only use for cooking jams, compotes, marmelade, preserved veggies etc)...luv it
we dont have parev cutlery, serving utensils and plates (we use either milchig or in the worse case plastic).

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:13 am
I have pareve pots, baking pans, stirring utensils, sponge, knife, cutting board, and other baking things like measuring cups and spoons.

Why would a person need pareve serving dishes/utensils? Whenever I make anything pareve, I do it to be able to serve it with milichig or fleishig.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:16 am
I keep my oven pareve. If I make milchig or fleishig I line the racks and either self clean after or cover well, or only cook if I know it'll be cold and clean for 24 hours, like chicken on erev Shabbos.

I have pareve cookie sheets, muffin pans, nine by 13s for baking, pots...am I doing something wrong?

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:28 am
yo'ma wrote:

Why would a person need pareve serving dishes/utensils? Whenever I make anything pareve, I do it to be able to serve it with milichig or fleishig.

All my cake things are pareve...including the platters, trays, and knives. It makes more sense than serving on meat or dairy and then wondering if everything was 100% clean and people were careful.

willow

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:29 am
My dream is to have all pareve

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:37 am
Yoma good question. Simply because sometimes you want to serve but then what do you do with the leftovers if they are served on fleishig or milchig platters and if the pareve includes anything harif? Are the leftovers milchig or fleishig? And what if you would have wanted to serve the leftover with something else?

I just find it easier to serve pareve with pareve utentils and a pareve serving plate and to put the leftovers into a pareve plastic container to be served with whatever.

So now I started giving my daughter results and she claims none of it is applicable because her friends are Israelis, not anglos and not children of anglos and that maybe we all keep pareve because we are anglos. Or French. Or whatever. Meaning not Israeli born to Israeli parents not of european origin.

Oy.

chanahlady

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:37 am
We're vegetarians, so we only have dairy stuff.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 9:20 am
To all the people with all the parve baking pans etc. do you also have a dedicated parve oven? If not, how exactly does that work?

We have nothing pareve, not even a knife.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 9:30 am
I have one pareve pot, pareve knives, cutting boards, and all my baking things are pareve. I make almost all my soups pareve, this way I can serve the same soup with any type of meal. Any baked goods are always pareve becasue my husband likes to have cake with coffee. I just burn out my oven before I bake. I don't bake every week I bake and freeze so I don't have to burn it out all the time.
I don't use pareve serving platters (although my parents do) because I'm not comfortable putting a pareve dish on the table with milchigs or fleishigs so if there are leftovers I consider them milchig or fleishig keilim and I'll put it away in the appropriate container.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 9:31 am
we also keep all the baking pans pareve. if you bake it in an oven that wasnt use in 24 hours, it doesnt make a difference. but I thought its better not to for example lchatchila bake a cake in a fleishig pan and then have it with dairy coffee. no? I know you can, after teh fact. but if you're planning on eating it with
milk, or on the fleishigs shabbos table, to me it makes more sense to bake it pareve. I don't have much pareve pots, just one for soup. and yeah cutting boards and knives make sense to me especially if like me you like to keep onions for salad for both milchig and fleishig. I didnt grow up charedi , although I am now, and growing up there was a pareve knife and most of the baking stuff was pareve.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 9:41 am
I dont have anything pareve, and I believe my parents have one pareve knife only. Since I took on sefardi halachot when I got married, pareve is less of an issue. We are allowed to eat, for example, hot rice cooked in a clean dairy pot, together with hot chicken. I don't intentionally mix things up like that, but when I have leftovers I don't have to factor in meat/dairy status to the same extent.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 9:51 am
Not that this is relevant to your daughter, but my mother cooks everything that isn't already milchig or fleishig in pareve pots. A lot of that rubbed off on me, so that almost all soups, all salads, all cakes, etc. are cooked pareve. I do cook side dishes either milchig or fleishig though, as it would be too confusing otherwise. I have everything pareve just as I do milchig and fleishig except dishes and silverware. (I do need to get a pareve spoon so I can taste what I'm cooking.)

I wash pareve stuff in my fleishig sink, but I have a dish rack that fits into the sink that holds the stuff off the bottom of the sink. I would wash them in the milchig sink, but the sink is too small to hold the rack.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
To all the people with all the parve baking pans etc. do you also have a dedicated parve oven? If not, how exactly does that work?

We have nothing pareve, not even a knife.

I have an exclusively pareve oven.

amommy

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 10:10 am
I dont have anything pareve. we cook pareve in milchig of fleishig pots
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen