Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you keep pareve?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

do you keep pareve?
yes we have pareve pots and washing up sponges  
 5%  [ 7 ]
yes we have pareve pots, washing up sponges and serving utensils  
 5%  [ 8 ]
yes we have pareve pots, washing up sponges, serving utensils and serving platters  
 0%  [ 0 ]
yes we have pareve pots, washing up sponges, serving utensils, serving platters, baking pans  
 33%  [ 46 ]
yes we have all the above and also pareve plates and silverware  
 2%  [ 3 ]
yes we have all the above and also a pareve sink  
 2%  [ 4 ]
no we cook pareve in milchig or fleishg pots  
 44%  [ 62 ]
yes we have pareve pots but wash them with milchig sponges  
 2%  [ 3 ]
what is pareve?  
 1%  [ 2 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 139

sarahd

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 10:16 am
What about cakes and cookies?

ChaniH

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 10:47 am
the only thing I have pareve is my orange juice container cuz I use it with everything and I wash it with cold water soap and my hand

Amy3

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 10:54 am
I have a Pareve pot that I use for noodles or soups.
All my baking tins are pareve.

When it comes to kitchen set up everyone has to do what is best for them and their family members and the types of food that they eat and serve.

So I dont think your DD should be concerned that this is a culteral thing and her family is
somehow "out of it".

Let everyone do what works for them no matter where they were born... End of story Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 11:16 am
My baking utensils are parve. I wash them over the sink, never in the sink, with separate sponges, steel wool. Otherwise, everything gets cooked in either milchig or fleishig pots, and I do not serve it with the other kind of meal.

However, if cooked in a fleshig clean pot, not used for the last twenty four hours, you could presumably serve it with milchigs, but I wouldn't count on it in my own pots, I never get them 100% clean , there's all that baked on gook inside the rolled rims.

Shmerling

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 11:31 am
Well those who are makpid about cooking fish in a separate pot, obviously need parve stuff.
My mother had tons of parve stuff. When I got married I also did bc I was so used to it, but after a while I realized it so much simpler to have only milchigs/fleishigs (MY dh is not makpid on the fish thing).
My oven is parve, so I do have some parve stuff, like mixer, blender, spatulas, pans, scotch brite..)

grace413

All baking equipment and pans are pareve. Nothing else.

mandksima

I grew up on pareve and use it all of the time for baking and cooking. I am always reusing leftovers in other things so that makes it easy. We did not grow up charedi but were BT through Chabad when I was young.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 11:43 am
I have a pareve mixer and cuisinart but they're never used. I wash them with water and a paper towel the two times a year I use them.

Most of my stuff is fleishig and I have a bit milchig.

I had a pareve soup pot but that became milchig very quickly.

IYH when I move, I"ll have more space and be able to have some room to put some pareve stuff. But I would of course have pareve sponges, how else would you wash them? With a paper towel? Cold water? How can you wash it with a milchig sponge? Maybe b'deieved, but not litchatchila.

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 11:43 am
Nothing parve, at all. I started with a pot and knives and a rack for the sink, but it all quickly became milchigs. I had so much fleishig stuff, and somehow, either I made it milchig on purpose or by accident. I wish I still had parve knives.

Most people I know have parve knives/cutting board and maybe a parve soup pot, but in general, nothing else, if that. And we're all American. But my Israeli friends don't really have it either.

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 12:04 pm
I have a parve mixer and parve baking sheets, spatulas, measuring cups and 1 parve knife. that's about it. I have a parve sink but it's mostly used for washing - I don't have a parve oven but I was told you can broil out your oven and it makes it parve so that's what I do every friday when I make my Challah and when I bake cookies and stuff that I want parve.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 12:26 pm
All of my baking stuff is pareve. Other than that, only 2 knives, a cutting board and a garlic press so that I can keep salads pareve.

I used to have a large pareve pot, but never used it so I made it milchig.

I wash pareve stuff with a pareve sponge only in a clean sink.

I've been doing it this way for 37 years and it works for me.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 12:51 pm
Amy3 it's not so simple.
My middle daughter is vegetarian, strict vegetarian. Meaning she won't eat anything cooked in a fleishig pot. And she is also quite makpid about a lot of things including people who are washing out pareve pots with a fleishig sponge. Go know exactly how clean that sponge really is...

In short as we don't eat anything cooked at anyone's house for us it's not an issue. I won't eat baked goods either etc. Fruit is my limit. But for my daughter who unilke her sisters actuallly goes into her friends' kitchens she was very surprised at some of the things she saw and it put her off eating anything there. Hence the questions came up.

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 12:59 pm
Quote:
My middle daughter is vegetarian, strict vegetarian. Meaning she won't eat anything cooked in a fleishig pot. And she is also quite makpid about a lot of things including people who are washing out pareve pots with a fleishig sponge.

FS, I am shock that you put up with this. Where does she get the idea to be more stringent than halacha? Eino ben yomo etc...she won't eat from a plate that was used for fleishig? I am sorry, this sounds OCD to me....

Oh, and I have a pareve sink. Pareve baking pans, mixer, food processor, measuring cups & spoons (but milchig ones too). (Also if something gets lost in the milchig dishwasher, it goes right back into the pareve cabinet, as it's no longer ben yomo) But no pareve plates or eating utensils, other than some glass plates & bowls used to serve salads, etc. and the odd teaspoon for stirring something, so I don't fit into any of your categories!

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:13 pm
I started off my marriage with a parve blender stick, knives, cutting boards, pots, mixing spoons, ladles, spoons, grater, rolling pin, mixing bowls, peeler, and storage containers.

Then I started using a lot more animal products for cooking, like chicken shmaltz, chicken broth, and butter for making not typically fleishig or milchig meals (like I'd cook my rice in chicken broth), found I needed more pots, and gradually my parve pots and mixing spoons and containers became milchig or fleishig, and now I have none left.

I'm realizing now that some family members are trying to cut back on dairy, but I still would like to make dairy for some family members but not be tied down to serving everyone else things that are bichezkas chalavi (my bean cooking pots are all fleishig), that I would really like parve pots for things like rice, potatoes, etc... I also make homemade condiments (right now I'm in the process of making soy sauce, and I've made worcesterchire sauce, tomato paste, salsa, jams, etc...) and can them or freeze them to last a while, and it would be nice to make soy sauce that can also be served with milchigs and not just fleishigs because of how I made them originally...

So now I have a parve blender stick, mixing bowl, measuring spoons, measuring cups, grater, ladle, knives, cutting board, peelers, rolling pin, etc...

But would like to add to add to my collection with parve pots, mixing spoons, and containers.

FTR we wash them with cold water with either milchig or fleishig sponges, according to the instructions of my rav.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:24 pm
Penguin she is very much keeping to halocho but also to pure vegetarianism.
She also doesn't wear leather or use any cosmetics that include animal products or were tested on animals. Many strict veggies will not eat on plates that had meat on them. That is vegetarianism, not kashrus.

Halocho of ben yomo is only if the pot is 100% clean. How many people can say that their pots are that? As one of the posters said, either here or on the MO thread with the same topic, how many people actually take steel wool and clean out under the rounded rim of their pot that catches all the grease and with it little particles of food?

Last edited by freidasima on Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:25 pm
Also healthwise it is not a great idea to wash certain things only with cold water. The hot water kills the germs...

chanahlady

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:29 pm
Actually, I believe it's the soap and friction that kills germs, not hot water.

The water would have to be at such a high temperature to kill germs that one wouldn't be able to put ones hands in it to wash the dishes.

EvenI

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:38 pm
I started out marriage with a theory that I would need the least total amount of equipment if I have everything parve unless it needs to be otherwise. Although I have had to acquire a lot more fleishik pots than I orignally expected, and I have sometimes actually tried to figure out how I can manage without pareve because of that, I still stick to the same principle.

I would love a parve sink or even dishwasher, but I only have two sinks. I have pareve washing up sponges, Shabbos and weekday versions. I wash all parve things by holding them over the sink and not putting them down. It's a bit annoying. (I can't hold that I need a separate faucet for each sink, because, in any case, I only have one faucet over a double sink in the apartment I rent. I keep a cover on one sink at all times and switch it when I want to switch sinks.) I have a mehadrin double oven, half is fleishik, half parve. A separate toaster oven is milchik. So, effectively, three ovens. I have a parve food processor. Most of my plastic containers are parve. I have parve pots and utensils. I don't really have parve serving dishes. I have a parve immersion blender. I have only parve peelers. I have parve knives and chopping boards.

I can't figure out life without pareve. If I baked cakes and challas in my fleishig oven, they would really be fleishig. There is no way I can keep my fleishig oven clean on a regular basis. And I don't want my baked goods to be fleishig. If I cook parve food, I want the flexibility to decide afterwards to to serve it with anything. And I don't like having to have two of absolutely everything, just because of having no such thing as parve.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:39 pm
chanahlady wrote:
Actually, I believe it's the soap and friction that kills germs, not hot water.

The water would have to be at such a high temperature to kill germs that one wouldn't be able to put ones hands in it to wash the dishes.
That.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:45 pm
Hello? That's the kind of water I use. Doesn't everyone scrub their pots and dishes when they are wearing thick rubber gloves so that you can use the hottest water that you get out of the faucet? Otherwise how can you kill off some of the stuff that doesn't scrub off? There is always a bit of grease left in the rims of metal pans and crevices etc. and it's just that grease that can pass on hepatitis, it breeds in things like that if one person touching the pot has it (that's how it is so infamously passed around in the army for example, I mean Hep A) and only the hottest water can kill some of that stuff that isn't scrubbed off...
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen