Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's that smell?

wereafamily

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 4:05 pm
I am sure there was a discussion but this... but, I cant seem to find someone mentioning it.

My dishes, cutlery, pots and plastic containers have this smell - not (very) bed but very annoying... I can't seem to figure out the smell... Is there anyway I can bring back the fresh smell, clean smell.

Someone told me to soak everything over night in hot water and soap - did anyone do that and it worked? Any other ideas?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 4:32 pm
Does the sponge smell too? Maybe it has to be replaced?

Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

wereafamily

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 4:42 pm
Nope, I replace it regularly. hummm What

alte mamme

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:15 pm
Check your kitchen towels. If they have any kind of smell, then they could be spreading it to everything they touch.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 8:20 pm
air dry all your dishes and use fresh towels every day. drying your dishes with anything but a clean cloth is unhygienic and probably is where the smell is coming from, if you say your items actually smell, not your kitchen.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 12:59 pm
Are you only using sponges, or are you using some scouring/scrubbing product like steel wool?
I find that the dishes need a good scouring scrub in order for them to get really clean.

wereafamily

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 3:35 pm
I only air dry, never wipe my dishes.

Maybe I should start using stealwool - but, I hate using it because it scratches .

Noone else has that problem? What

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 7:23 pm
wereafamily wrote:
I only air dry, never wipe my dishes.

Maybe I should start using stealwool - but, I hate using it because it scratches .

Noone else has that problem? What
How long have you been keeping house? Smile
When I first got married I too did not use any steel wool as I hated the way it felt. My dishes were clean without it. To a point. Smile They were brand new and at first they were. But after much use it built up, and I realized I needed to start using steel wool.
I don't find that it scratches most things.
But I don't use it on plastic OXO measuring cups, or glass dishes. The glass stuff stays clean without the scouring anyway.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 7:38 pm
I never use steel wool. my dishes are clean, whats up with that? if I have a particularly hard to clean dish I use ceramabryte cleaner.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 9:06 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
I never use steel wool. my dishes are clean, whats up with that? if I have a particularly hard to clean dish I use ceramabryte cleaner.
Do you just use sponges, or something the scrubs like dobie pads, scrubbers, scotch brite, brushes, etc? You don't need steel wool in order to scrub. You just need something that scrubs.

yummy2

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 9:21 pm
what soap do you use? when I find my things to have a smell, I wash with lemon soft scrub. continers go into the freezer, that kills the smell. if it's pots pans plates and cutlery, is it from a dishwasher? does water stay behind? that can smell.
are you in the country? I know water there sometimes in general has a foul smell.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 10:29 pm
It can be either the sponge-I only use steel wool for everything and throw out after each use
the soap-I like the orange palmolive
How you wash it or dry it-it should be dried before putting away
inside your cabinet smell

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 2:28 pm
I use sponges and wondersponge... humm maybe it's the soap.

Yup, I wash > put on rack > dry overnight > pack away..

I am thinking maybe it's the water, does water in Israel leave a smell?

hello, no one else has this?? ( Mad )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen