Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
PLEASE VOTE: Brand New Condo Vs Private Home
1  2  Next

Condo development vs private home
new condo  
 12%  [ 6 ]
private house- if you can afford it  
 76%  [ 36 ]
private home out of the area  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 47

amother

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 9:25 pm
there are so many new developements in monsey- would you rather buy a older private house w/ a yard etc or a brand new bigger condo and no yard or privacy? todays days if you want to afford a private home- it hasto be out of the area...

if you have experience in either one and your happy/regretting your decision- PLS SPECIFY! from the financial viewpoint to the practical and privacy issues that can come up

amother

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:24 pm
Come on- nobody home?

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:37 pm
I don't live in monsey. but that's what I did. I don't like condos, I like privacy and yards. I couldnt afford a house in an estableshed area, so I bought a bit out and I am very happy with my decision.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:58 pm
small bean wrote:
I don't live in monsey. but that's what I did. I don't like condos, I like privacy and yards. I couldnt afford a house in an estableshed area, so I bought a bit out and I am very happy with my decision.

do your kids have friends? neighbors who to play with? do you have company on the block?

Maya

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 11:02 pm
We're renting, we didn't buy, but we went for the old private house instead of new condo.

We'll be doing that too when we're ready to buy.

ElTam

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 11:09 pm
It really depends on you.

The great thing about a condo is that you don't have to worry about outside maintenance. Snow gets shoveled, grass gets mowed, trim gets painted, roof gets repaired. (Course, you have to figure your HOA fees into your costs.) You may also have more limitations on what you can do on your deck in terms of decor and activities. Neighbors are closer, so if they are annoying, it can be a bigger problem, but on the other hand, you have the HOA to call and deal with it. If you have a good HOA, that can be key. (If you go with the condo, try to chat up some of the neighbors about if the HOA is responsive, etc.)

With a home you have more privacy and freedom to make it your own, as well as space, but also more responsibility.

I think it is really a question of where you are in life and what you want.

ElTam

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 11:13 pm
Oh, I should say I rented a condo, bought a condo, sold a condo and now own a house.

cute1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:21 am
I own a condo where everyone has a separate entrance. Need to be very careful with that b/c other condo in my area with sharing staircase/hallways, people complain on neighbors putting their garbage in the hallways.. nobody takes care to clean the hallways. it's supposed to be divided every neighbor is in charge one week, but people fail to do it...

in the other hand it's great for the kids, they always have company. We help each other with babysitting, borrowing stuff. We are bh very united!

But if one neighbor has children troublemakers, fighters, then you are stuck with a house you "bought"

good luck

amother

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:24 am
ElTam wrote:
Oh, I should say I rented a condo, bought a condo, sold a condo and now own a house.

Did you have a hard time selling a condo?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:47 am
We bought a new condo, BH. DH and I each grew up in big surbuban home but we both work full time and I didn't want dh and myself to be "balabatish" and have to rake leaves and worry about the roof, etc., like my parents did.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:31 pm
I live in a condo and love it, but we definitely love all our neighbors: Some when they're here, and some when they left.

We've had our share of those neighbors who think they own the world, and are free to leave their trash overflowing so that my parents, when coming to visit, will really believe that we live in the slums. Those that make a racket till the wee hours, and socialize with you only when they need a dozen eggs or free babysitting. They park their 2nd car in the guest space that's supposed to be available for sharing, even when their own space is empty, to ensure that they have grabbed it for themselves (and you parents will have to park down the block).

OTOH there are some neighbors that are a pleasure to know, and the comaraderie of sitting out on Shabbos afternoon with built in friends is pure bliss. And the fact that we don't need to worry about maintenance, leaves, snow, and grass mowing is wonderful for a busy couple.

You definitely pay a price in privacy.....everyone smells your barbecue, and if you have a family affair in your home, parking spaces for your family are hard to come by.

Just some of the pros and cons....

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:16 pm
None, but it was years ago when the market was very good and I lived in a very desirable area. Your realtor should be able to tell you how long condos you are looking at have been on the market, as well as average time on the market for recent sales. Of course, the market could go up or down, but you'd have a better idea.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:20 pm
I would definitely choose the private house. I currently have a semi attached house with a private back/side yard and front yard. The problem is when the kids fight they're too close and it creates problems.

I was just discussing it this week with my sil. She lived near one of the new townhouse areas. She said If you don't care if people will see you go somewhere and ask where you're going - or if you come home with a bag they'll ask what you got and want to take a look at it then condo is a good choice there are lots of kids and the woman do sit out like in the country. However, if you're a private minded person then a condo is definitely not for you. (the above mentioned condos is with private entrances.) I can see sharing entrances a disaster. I be the one cleaning after everyone.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
I was just discussing it this week with my sil. She lived near one of the new townhouse areas. She said If you don't care if people will see you go somewhere and ask where you're going - or if you come home with a bag they'll ask what you got and want to take a look at it then condo is a good choice there are lots of kids and the woman do sit out like in the country. However, if you're a private minded person then a condo is definitely not for you. (the above mentioned condos is with private entrances.) I can see sharing entrances a disaster. I be the one cleaning after everyone.

Or if you're good at setting boundaries, and politely evading invasive questions.

Within a condo association, the location of your condo does help a bit. I happen to have an end unit at the very end of the development, so it's a much quieter corner. Plus, right now my neighbors are an elderly retired couple who are in Florida all winter. If I want company, I just have to walk to the end of the block, which is within the eiruv. I like the fact that my unit is attached on just one side, too - I have more privacy and more windows.

OTOH I'm the last to be plowed in the snow, being that I'm at the end. For me it's worth the price though.

Just mentioning some things to look for, if you go for a condo and have choices.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:51 pm
We own a Condo (OOT) and we are extremely happy with it. We have lots of friends in the complex and enough young Jews to outvote the older Jews who hate all Jews and want to make rules like you can't have a Succoh. Other than a select few, it is a really friendly environment with a playground and pool which we use all the time. It was great when we had 17 inches of snow and our cars and walkways were shoveled and plowed throughout the entire blizzard. In fact I had family members park there cars in our complex so that they would have access to a vehicle after the blizzard. I never have to worry about a lawn and my front yard always looks nice. Everyone has there own entrance into their home and yes I see my neighbors coming and going (you see that when you live in a private house as well) but I do not know there business and they don't know mine. Our property taxes and home owners insurance are cheaper (because we don't own so much land since most of it is common ground) and we don't pay for water (some complexes you may). If I have a problem I call the office and its usually fixed within the day. You just have to weigh your options and make sure that whatever you buy you have money set aside for an emergency repair which can happen in either.

small bean

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 4:21 pm
I need/needed to be active in finding my kids friends because on my block there are no jews. my kids do sometimes play with the non-jewish kids - which I dont mind as long as I'm watching them.

I walk to the frum people and make friends with them.

I think it's worth it for a private house.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 4:44 pm
I don't live in or know the Monsey area, but generally speaking I would always take a house with a yard over any apartment or condo. I like privacy, I like space, I like a yard for my kids. And even though new build is very tempting because it (usually but not always) comes without all the problems older homes can have (plumbing, roof, electric, you name it) I think it's still worth it to be in a house.

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 4:47 pm
of course a home! better an old home than a new condo!

so many reasons:
real estate prices- much easier to sell a condo than a house
freedom- you can paint, remodel do what you want
yard- even a small one it's yours
no association fees.

this is so obvious!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 5:04 pm
esteec wrote:
of course a home! better an old home than a new condo!

so many reasons:
real estate prices- much easier to sell a condo than a house
freedom- you can paint, remodel do what you want
yard- even a small one it's yours
no association fees.

this is so obvious!

How is it so OBVIOUS? in an older home you have so man more expenses and maintenance things that come up- not alwasy do you actually get a nice yard.. etc etc

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 5:15 pm
I've been struggling with the same question.

On the one hand a house in prime location is unaffordable but a condo is reasonable, so it's a debate of a house out of the neighborhood vs a condo in the neighborhood.

Most people who are replying are just answering the house vs condo part of the question.

I also think it's ideal to live in a private house with a yard (my parents chose a condo so they wouldn't have to deal with the repairs etc of a house at their age- but for a young family- a house is a house Smile
The question is what is more "valuable" good neighborhood, friends to play with, closer to town etc or the yard and the privacy of your own home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics