Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Horrible Accident in Monsey
1  2  Next

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 2:53 pm
Mrs. Reifer, a wonder-woman and former principal of BY of Ramapo (she was currently princ of Shevach HS in Queens) was killed by an elderly driver on Friday nt. I'm still shaking. I only got to know her recently.

May we only hear good news.

momofgirls

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 3:03 pm
I heard about it yesterday, I still can't stop thinking about it really horrific. she was a real wonder women, I did not know her even personally but I knew of her, A real tragedy May she be a meilitz yosher for us all & may moshiach come quickly.

yersp

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 3:21 pm
I could never understand why an alteh zetzer of 83 would still be driving.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 3:32 pm
I don't know if this has anything to do with the accident, but I never understood why there are no sidewalks in (many parts of) Monsey! I'm sorry to hear such news. We need Moshiach Now!

E59Y, should they take away the licenses of all 18-25 yr. olds, because most accidents are caused by people in that age group?

livalittle

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 3:34 pm
E59Y wrote:

Sorry, I just don't think that's really a nice thing to say abt. s\o who was just killed in an accident. Esp. for a respectful woman - or anyone for that matter.

momofgirls

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 3:34 pm
there happens to be sidewalks where it happened I believe she was crossing but, cannot verify it, there are lots of places without sidewalks and slowly they are making sidewalks.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 4:28 pm
E59Y wrote:

Because the AARP is the most powerful lobby organization and whoever would even suggest that there be driving tests for older people would be out of Washington real quick.

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 6:09 pm
my son was eating out on friday with his buddy, and he looks older then he is.
the principal joined in the boys conversations, no doubtedly looking for a shiduch IMHo for the girls that she knows.
my son thought she was a great lady, and came home and told me all about it.
not 8 hours later she was nifter. telling him was very difficult.

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 6:53 pm
mommamin wrote:
E59Y wrote:

Sorry, I just don't think that's really a nice thing to say abt. s\o who was just killed in an accident. Esp. for a respectful woman - or anyone for that matter.

The old person driving was the one who killed Mrs. Reifer, not Mrs. Reifer!

Nevertheless, I too don't think it's respectful to speak that way about someone, whether aged 83 or 73 or 93. If a person is capable of driving, they should drive. If they are a danger to others, they should be prohibited from driving.

my1st

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 7:03 pm
How quick would a man that age drive anyway? Obviously everything's bashert.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 7:44 pm
Motek wrote:
If a person is capable of driving, they should drive. If they are a danger to others, they should be prohibited from driving.

Unfortunately, this is almost never discovered until after an accident. Sometimes it's fine, the car is damaged or not even damaged, and the person stops driving. Sometimes (like in the case here Sad), it's NOT fine, and someone is hurt or niftar, CHV, lo aleinu.

healthymama

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 8:11 pm
it must take a tremendous amount of self control for an elderly person to say : I am getting old and am no longer safe on the roads. I will contain myself to using public transport or walking.

stem

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 8:40 pm
IMO there should be an age limit for driving, just like there is an age minimum. Let's say the absolute limit is 80. If someone is 80 and is still perfectly capable of driving, then it's too bad, just like you wouldn't let a capable 14 year old drive. There would be no emotional involvement in this situation since it would just be the law.

About the accident, it's terrible. What a tragedy for klal yisrael.

ny21

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 8:55 pm
a man from our shul died suddenly
I just came back from the funeraul at beth david cemetary

amother

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 12:16 am
She sounds like she was a real mentsch, with everyone raving about her!

Does anyone know if she was secularly educated, being that she comes from a Chassidic background?

queen

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 10:55 am
My heart goes out to her family as Mrs. Reifer's oldest daughter is getting married in a months time.....

May we only have good news to share on here from now on...

supermom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:18 pm
WOw that will be emotionally hard on everyone. It will be a sad wedding.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 2:49 am
Mrs Reifer was my teacher 14 or so years ago in High School.

I cannot get this off my mind - one of the many wonderful things about her, was how she was always busy - utilizing all of her time for the good.
Always active, always positive and leaving an upbeat feeling trailing behind wherever she went.

I feel like this is a wake up call to me - to be more, to do more and mostly to really utilize every minute and realize what a gift it is from Hashem...especially with just spending quality time with my children.

queen

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 11:34 am
amother- thank you for posting something personal about her, and that which we can all learn from. Nice to read vs. all the just 'chit chat'

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 11:43 am
Quote:
WOw that will be emotionally hard on everyone. It will be a sad wedding.
I recently attended a wedding where the kallah had lost her mother less than two months before. Sad At the bedeken everyone was crying. But afterward, it was really a very freiliche chasunah.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics