Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Pittsburg, PA

elkayed

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 6:56 pm
We might visit Pittsburg in a few weeks...What are the kosher restaurants or grocery stores in Pittsburg? Also, what fun places are there to take kids to? I've heard of Kennywood..is it nice? good for kids? Tx!!

mynameismom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 7:05 pm
carnegie science center, children's museum, catherdral of learning, the incline, the aviary, the zoo,

elkayed

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 7:07 pm
tx..how about kosher food?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 7:09 pm
giant eagel is the store there, and I dont think there is any small kosher store, but I could be wrong.
pittsburgh is a great place, and I would move there in a second if it were possible....I SOSOSOSOSO wish it were

elkayed

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 7:12 pm
tx..any kosher restaurants?

caligirl

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:13 pm
Murray Ave Kosher is the kosher grocery store. There is one pizza shop called Milky Way, and one meat restuarant called Aaron & Ari's Grill, but its only open a few times a week.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 9:07 pm
Pittsburgh is AWESOME!

+1 to the mentions of Murray Ave. Kosher, Aaron & Avi's and Milky Way Smile
Those are all located within like 3 blocks of each other, on Murray near Beacon.

When I was last there, we toured a submarine that was "parked" in the river outside the science museum (not the Carnegie museum near the colleges, the other one). My dad's a big history buff, so that was cool.

Frick Park (my sisters lovingly call it "Frickin' Park!!!") and Schenley Park are pretty big, and if you have kids who like to run around, there are lots of places to hike, play and look at cool bridges. At Frick park, there's a rope swing tied to one of the bridges -- little secret that the teenagers like to go to. Smile

The Pittsburgh Symphony is WORLD CLASS, on par with New York and much larger cities.

I've never been to Kennywood, so can't help with that.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 9:59 am
Don't forget the botanical garden (it's really lovely), the three points where the rivers meet
Fallingwater (the famous house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, it's very beautiful though not so practical with very young children) is about 1.5hr drive out.

I thought there was another coffee shop where they carry only kosher pastries? (OK not a real restaurant...)

If you have children, make sure they familiarise themselves with Agent Emes and Schpittsburgh!
(You'll notice some places where the movies were filmed...)

obagys

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 10:01 am
We went to Pittsburg a few years ago on vacation with the kids (8 and under). We went to the carnegie science museum and Kennywood amusement park - kids had a fantastic time!

elkayed

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 3:25 pm
tx for all the responses..obagys: is kennywood new or old? is there enuf stuff for kids ages 2 to 8 to spend all day there? do they sell anything kosher?? tx!

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 5:21 am
Kennywood is the oldest surviving real amuzwment park. For those of us that grew up in Pgh is a source of many wonderful memories. Rides for all ages. The attractions are the rides, not spend, spend like disney.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 5:25 am
There is no kosher food at Kennywood and not much in the way of eat out in the whole city. Both Giant Eagle and kosher mart carry lots of stuff and I would picnic basket/BBQ after the park is perfect. In Sq. Hil (THE frum area) has beautiful parks and there are also near Kennywood as well. Rent a car and get a cooler.

miami85

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 8:39 am
About Kennywood, it might depend when you are going, annually there is a "Jewish Day" at Kennywood, this year it is August 21st when they have REAL kosher food certified by the local Vaad, and they sell discounted tickets through the local Jewish establishments. Also there are many "kosher items" at Kennywood like the ice cream--not cholov yisroel obviously, dippin dots, cotton candy I haven't been there in while there's usually a list by the "kosher day". Otherwise there is a Giant Eagle supermarket less than 10 mins away that sells food. The Giant Eagle with a larger selection of kosher and cholov yisroel items is more like 20 mins from Kennywood within the Jewish community across the streed from Murray Avenue Kosher--the Kosher store. Kennywood has a large selection of rides that serve a wide range of likes for riders. There is a substantial Kiddy Land for the 2-8 crowd, though I myself havent been there since I was that age. Kennywood is a very nice park pretty big to spend a whole day (11am-11pm) but NOT overly huge that the lines are forever and it takes forever to find anything also there's a nice mix of Classic rides, and Current exciting rides, Family rides and the kiddy rides often are a smaller scale of the bigger rides so the whole family can enjoy. Other things to do: There are the restaurants, Milky Way, A&A Grill, and the cafe, Sweet Tammy's, mentioned in other posts there's also Rita's Italian ices, and if you're not makpid on Cholov Yisroel there's a Kosher Dunkin Donuts. If you go to Oakland--that's close to downtown about 5-10 mins from the main Jewish community, there's Phipps Conservatory (a botanic gardens--REALLY nice for all ages), natural history museum, Really nice library with a nice children's section there's a carousel that's not too expensive that even adults can ride, AND there is a branch of Milky Way in the park that's not too expensive (I.e. not much more expensive than the store) with a nice selection of FRESH pizza, falafel, fries etc. and you can eat Al Fresco (there's even a place to wash nearby) (I will add that it doesnt SAY kosher outright on it, but if you ask you can see the letter they have it inside--its kind of Hamevin Yavin). In Downtown there's Point State Park that's nice (free) and spacious park for playing ball, picnicking etc. Across the river on the South Side there are the inclines, Gateway Clipper Fleet (Boat rides with the Goodship Lollipop for kids). On the North Side there's the Children's museum, Science Center & Sports Works, National Aviary (birds), and if your kids like sports and they're in town there's the Baseball stadium which is pretty Jewish family friendly. Another nice attraction is the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium which is very children friendly--I was recently at the Bronx Zoo and the Pgh Zoo is very organized, not TOO big that kids get bored tired etc and you get your money's worth. I hope I've been helpful, if you need any more information feel free to PM me. There are a LOT of great things to do that work with ALL budgets let me know if you need any help planning your itinerary! If not Have a GREAT time! I'm hoping to go visit my mom in a few weeks myself.

elkayed

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 8:48 am
Thanx Miami85! We might be there Aug 21 for kosher day!! your post was reallly helpful!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics