Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hebrew equivalent for Charlotte?
Previous  1  2

Happy18

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 3:06 pm
Would you consider using Charlotte as an english name and using a hebrew name that you and your husband like and call your daughter that.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 8:10 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Or use Sharlot "shalom rav leohave toratecha"

OP here. That's so interesting. I've never heard it before. I like Shoshanna or Adira. I'll have to ask DH what he thinks of those. The yiddish name is Zlata, but we really want to give a Hebrew name, not yiddish.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 8:13 pm
Zlata is gold. Zahava.

Teacup9

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 2:52 am
I love Zahava and Golda and Zlata, but if they aren't for you perhaps you can expand from that theme of gold into "light" names (Liora, Orit, Karen, Zohar, etc) or riches/blessings "Bracha" or royal like Sarah or Atara. I've heard of taking the name and rearranging the letters as well but am unsure of how to spell Zlata. zayan, lamed, tes, alef?

Is there anything more you can do to learn the Hebrew name for your other Charlotte? Ancestry sites? Can you track down her gravesite and call there to see what is written on the kever?

I've heard when naming for a righteous [gentile] one can take the meaning of the name and translate it, however I am not as familiar with the idea of taking a Jew's secular name and trying to make it Hebrew.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 11:07 am
zain, lamed, (alef), tet, alef

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 3:20 pm
I know this is an old thread. In case it is relevant for someone else. What about Aderet for Charlotte? It has the same "et" sound at the end. And while Aderet means cloak like Aderet Eliyahu, it can also mean might/ strength like in L'chai Ha'Olamim

etky

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 3:41 pm
I know a Charlotte who is Sarit in Hebrew.
Aside from the phonetic affinity, Sarit has the connotation of strength too - as in the reason given for Ya'acov's name change to Yisrael - כי שרית עם ...ותוכל

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:37 pm
My grandmother was Charlotte. Her Hebrew (Yiddish) name was Zlata but we really only knew her as Grandma Charlotte (when would we hear her Hebrew name?) - A lot of us grandchildren named our children after her but usually used Zahava (some first name, some middle) Some (the ones in America) actually used Zlata as the middle name

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 10:34 am
Sarit is little princess.

Aderet ends in -ET, and Charlotte in -OT. I'm not sure how close that is to you.

invisiblecircus

Post Fri, Mar 21 2014, 11:21 am
What do you mean? They both end in T Wink

wiki

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 4:17 pm
"Charna" is definitely derived from Polish/other Slavic languages and means "black." Perhaps if someone had this slavic name and then wanted to go by a similar Hebrew name, she would have picked Chana, but Charna is not the Yiddish equivalent of the Hebrew Chana.

My inclination from the first post was "Shani," meaning Scarlet, because I thought maybe Charlotte means Scarlet. Subsequent posts show that my hunch was incorrect, but I'll just throw it out there anyway.

My favorite suggestions so far are Adira or Gavriella.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names