Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Moving cassettes to computer/cd/mp3

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 6:49 am
I have a bunch of cassettes that I'd like to move to teh computeror mp3 format

how can I do it?

I heard theres a device that connects from a tape recorder to computer or so... I have shiurim eg I'd like converted.

Kayza

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 9:09 am
miriamnechama wrote:
I have a bunch of cassettes that I'd like to move to teh computeror mp3 format

how can I do it?

I heard theres a device that connects from a tape recorder to computer or so... I have shiurim eg I'd like converted.

Yes. The device generally connects to a USB port, althoug some connect to th e"line in"port of your audio card.

The thing you need to realize is, that to do this you actually have to play each tape all the way through.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 9:27 am
I know but where can I get the device from? and in israel..

Kayza

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 10:01 pm
miriamnechama wrote:
I know but where can I get the device from? and in israel..

I think you are going to have to purchase mail order - do some on-line shopping.

My google results
http://www.google.com/search?q.....fox-a

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 10:07 pm
Wow, I am so glad to see this thread. I have about 100 tapes that I want to convert as well.
Glad to know that there is such a device Smile

grin

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 10:19 pm
I imagine that there are a lot of people that would want to (inc. me! and what about records?) I also imagine that this is could be an expensive project and the device will afterwards sit on a shelf. It would probably be worthwhile to pool with friends to buy it together and each uses it to convert their library in turn.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 10:41 pm
grin wrote:
I imagine that there are a lot of people that would want to (inc. me! and what about records?) I also imagine that this is could be an expensive project and the device will afterwards sit on a shelf. It would probably be worthwhile to pool with friends to buy it together and each uses it to convert their library in turn.
Great idea. Im all for that.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 11:25 pm
This would be cheaper and probably not much more complicated. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6......html

Depressed

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 3:41 am
I actually do this as part of my business, I charge 2$ for 1 tape, or 1$/tape if 5 or more. My machine digitizes ia 90 minute tape to mp3 in 2 minutes, but Im in NJ. I imagine someone does this in Israel..

grin

Post Mon, Aug 08 2011, 5:17 am
seeker wrote:
This would be cheaper and probably not much more complicated. http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6......html
wow, what a great idea - and it's free! thanks

Kayza

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 11:46 am
grin wrote:

These items are not that expensive- I got one for records - it cost about $125

grin

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 8:22 pm
Kayza wrote:
grin wrote:

These items are not that expensive- I got one for records - it cost about $125
uhmm - for my budget, I would call that pretty expensive. E/thing's relative.

I'm for sure going to try that link out over the next couple of weeks - I'll try to let you guys (gals) know how it goes.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 9:01 am
It's doable. But just fyi, your MP3s/CDs will have the quality of a cassette in terms of sound.

It's almost not worth it.

It might be worth just buying everything in CD format and downloading it to your computer.

Depressed

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 9:19 am
this is totally untrue.with the right software you can get better quality then the original. Besides what do you do if you want to preserve and convert a 30 yr old LP

grin

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 12:53 pm
grin wrote:
seeker wrote:
wow, what a great idea - and it's free! thanks
no, after downloading and installing, etc. I discovered that it's not free at all. There are other programs out there that are free, but I have no idea if they're safe to download it or not. Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:23 pm
Aribenj wrote:
It's doable. But just fyi, your MP3s/CDs will have the quality of a cassette in terms of sound.

It's almost not worth it.

It might be worth just buying everything in CD format and downloading it to your computer.
I know that some things that I have on tape I will never find on CD, they are just too old.

grin

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 1:27 pm
I think I'm going back to Plan A:
grin wrote:

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 2:52 pm
OP, I just stumbled across this which should work for you:
Tape to USB PC Cassette to MP3 Converter

cranberry

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 7:03 pm
I haven't tried it yet, but I came across this link

http://askville.amazon.com/dev.....09576

with this answer in it:

"If you have a portable stereo cassette player and a PC with a CD burner you should be able to do it!

You can connect the cassette player to the microphone or line in ports on the sound card of your PC.

Then you can use the Windows Wave editor to record the file.

Then you can download and use the free sound editing software Audacity to split the 1 large .wav file into several MP3 files."

We've been looking into this because I have a bunch of Uncle Moishy, Rebbe Alter, etc. cassettes that I would love to play for my 2yo.

Lastly you can use Windows Media Player or Itunes to burn a CD.

grin

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:07 pm
ty OOTBubby and cranberry - I've found those also, since I last posted, and am waiting to have the time to try this out. If you get a chance before me, let us know how it goes!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics