Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Removing organs from chicken thigh - kashrut

amother

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 11:38 am
I feel stupid not knowing the answer to this, but in the US when I bought cut-up raw chicken it was clean of all organs. Im an olah hadasha and the Badatz chicken I buy always comes with some kind of organs (maybe kidneys? and something else???) along the bone underneath the thigh pieces. Do I have to discard them before cooking if I'm not grilling the chicken on fire? (That's what I've been doing, to be safe, but I'm not sure if the kashrut actually requires it.) And if I am supposed to remove them, what's the best way?

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 12:04 pm
Are you sure you are talking about an organ or the thigh of the chicken?

All I can figure this could be would be the checked tendon in the drumstick. The badatz opens the drunm stick of the chicken leg to check the tendon and it is exposed, unlike in American chickens. It isn't an organ, it is just a tendon which is always there but you can't generally see.

The only place I ever saw chicken organs was the livers that sometimes come with American chickens. I have never seen them with Israeli ones.

If it is in fact the tendon, no special cooking or kashering is needed. It is just proof that the chicken was checked and indeed found to be kosher to high standards.

piegirl

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 12:09 pm
I think I know what your talking about. It's under that long bony piece at the edge right? it looks like liver or something, but I don't think it is. I remove it because it grosses my husband out, but I hiiighly doubt it's neccessary. I think it's just an american thing to really clean chickens. over here, they let the women do some work.

grin

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 1:28 pm
AFAIK, those are the kidneys and yes - they do need to be taken out, just like OP thought. (AYLOR to be sure, but what do you lose by discarding them?)

amother

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 1:56 pm
OP here--
Yes, its what Batmelach described exactly, plus also two beige jelly-bean like things that I assume are the kidneys. When I scrape it all out with a knife before cooking I'm not sure if I'm getting it all-- it's clean enough if it was just an aesthetic issue, but if you must remove it for kashrus I'm not sure.

piegirl

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 12:36 am
I never have the 2 beige things, just lots of little red things. those are kidneys? and they HAVE to be taken out?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:24 am
OP again--

Okay, so whats the answer??!!

Liba

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:45 am
Bring it to a rav and please share pictures. I have never, in six years of cleaning badatz chickens in Israel, seen what you are describing. We certainly can't pasken here since we #1 aren't rabbanim and #2 can't see what you are talking about.

merelyme

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:02 am
IF it's what batmelech is describing then it's the kidneys and you do not have to remove them.
But that's IF.

OP, please take your chicken to a neighbor or someone else who knows and ask her what it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen