Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Saying Tehillim for a cholah on Shabbos?

Moreta24

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 2:48 pm
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, or a dumb question, but -- I have a list of people I daven for daily in Shemoneh Esrai and I have said Tehillim for someone "on the spot" when I learned they were in urgent need of a refuah, but I haven't said Tehillim every day for cholim.

But now, for the first time, I was asked to join a group of women saying Tehillim for a particular cholah fighting a difficult illness; each of us were given a perek/p'rakim to say each day. I know that on Shabbos we don't "call out to Hashem" so we have the communal prayer for cholim during the leining, but do I also say my perek of Tehillim for this cholah on Shabbos? Or do I skip it on Shabbos?

Also, when someone tells you, please daven and say Tehillim for Ploni ben Plonit, they are in urgent need of a refuah, which p'rakim of Tehillim do you say?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 3:01 pm
Moreta24 wrote:
Also, when someone tells you, please daven and say Tehillim for Ploni ben Plonit, they are in urgent need of a refuah, which p'rakim of Tehillim do you say?

I usually start with perek vov (6).

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 15 2011, 3:04 pm
I was told one doesn't say tehillim for sick people on Shabbos. One does mention their names in Mi sheberach lacholim in shul.

Geulanow

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 12:11 am
This was on halachafortoday.com: Q: Is there a problem with saying Tehillim on shabbos? does it make a difference if its 'general tehillim' (ex: a group of women saying tehillim from the booklets that divide the whole sefer) or tehilim for a specifc choleh?

A: Tehilim may be said on Shabbos. In fact, some Seforim say it is good to say Tehilim specifically on Shabbos as Dovid Hamelech passed away on Shabbos. (See Eishel Avraham Butshatsh Siman 306:5. See also Mishna Berura Siman 293:1)

However, Tehilim should not be said B'tzibur for a sick person rather B'Yechidus where it is not evident for what reason the Tehilim is being said. (Rav Shlomo Zalmen Auerbach in Halichos Shlomo Perek 14 footnote 19)

If it isn't for a specific Choleh, rather a group of women getting together each week to say Tehilim, there is no problem with that."

Also, people say the person's tehillim for their age, chapter 20, and if very sick, chapter 119 with the person "so-and-so bas mother's name" spelled out with the letters starting with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions