Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Assisted living facilities in Israel

jkw

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 12:13 pm
Hello I am inquiring for friends whose elderly parents might make aliyah with them to E. I. -- IF they can find an assisted living facility. They are European in background but have lived in North America for a long time. All leads and suggestions welcome. TIA for helping !

grace413

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:21 pm
There are two main religious places in Jerusalem AFAIK. Ramat Tamir - near Har Hotzvim and Beit Tovei Hair, near Sarei Yisrael/Bar Ilan.

We checked out Beit Tovei Hair for my FIL several years ago. He didn't like it (also European but many years in the States) but my MIL had just died so....Small rooms, expensive, no outside. We ate a meal there, it was ok. They seem to have a lot of activities and shiurim for both men and women.

jkw

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 4:13 pm
Thank you so much! I have passed it on...

amother

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 10:30 pm
there is someone who I have seen advertise who helps older people find appropriate placements in israel. her name is barbara brown, her website is aliyah121.com
I don't know her at all but it might be worthwhile to contact her.

hila

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 3:12 am
depends on how frum they are. If they need Chareidi then the Jerusalem places are probably Ok.
DL - and English speakers are to be found in Bet Protea and Migdalei Yam Tichon in the Netanya area. (my mother lives in Migdalei Yam tichon - so pm me for more details)

I can ask her about others too

chanchy123

Post Thu, Aug 18 2011, 3:18 am
DH has relatives in Beit Tovei Hair, they seem to like it there. The couple is half Israeli (but European influenced mentality) and half American - they are I guess American chareidi if you must put them in a bracket.

My grandmother had and has plenty of friends in Golden Hills in the French Hill (Yerushalayim). Frum (MO/DL) American.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 3:47 pm
I'm interested in information regarding assisted living options in Israel, that is kosher mehadrin, & would be appropriate for English speakers.

Beit Tovei Hair that was suggested above looks wonderful, however it appears to be a retirement/independent senior residence community, & not assisted living. Does anyone have any clarification if I'm mistaken, or any suggestions?

It is for an elderly, English speaking couple who made aliyah in their 70's, & need something more than a retirement community can provide, ie they are high functioning, yet one of them is experiencing early stages of dementia.

Thank you for any feedback.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 3:53 pm
My grandparents live in Tovei Hair. I'm not sure how you define the difference between assisted living and senior residence. It's apartments, mostly with nice porches, a lovely social atmosphere, loads of shiurim, activities, a full gym, full dining service but the apartments also have kitchens if you prefer. It's an ideal option to my mind if one of the spouses needs more care and one needs more happening. The medical care is ok.

There's a really nice, lively atmosphere there. CHildren are made very welcome, they even have summer activities for grandparents with their grandchildren. Some of the residents have live-ins if they need more help. What else would you want to know?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
My grandparents live in Tovei Hair. I'm not sure how you define the difference between assisted living and senior residence.

I'm trying to get a better understanding myself, while also trying discern their respective needs. We will of course inquire with actual facilities, but am asking here too for people's personal experiences & to get ideas.

This is copied and pasted from an article I found online regarding the difference:

"Assisted living facilities provide a higher level of care than retirement communities. They often employ registered nurses, certified nursing assistants, and other medical professionals who can give your senior the care they need to promote their health and well-being. Staff members carefully monitor residents and regularly check in on them to ensure they are receiving the appropriate support, eating nutritious meals, and taking their medications.
Residents may suffer from debilitating or degenerative health conditions, be unable to function on their own, or require 24/7 access to medical care that must adapt over time to continue meeting their changing needs. Some assisted living facilities also provide memory care with specialized therapies aimed at sustaining mental flexibility and helping them cope with the challenges of memory conditions. Retirement communities do not provide this level of medical or nursing support but focus more on helping seniors live active, independent lives with little staff involvement...
...Staff members are on-call and usually available 24/7 to help with daily tasks, such as shopping, meal preparation, cleaning, bathing, and grooming."

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 4:40 pm
It's less clear when individuals might be somewhat in the middle re level of assistance needed.

I understand that some types of facilities offer both, independent living sort of combined with assisted living, the former but then it can feed into the latter as is needed, I suppose on the same premises?

I'm just unsure what kinds of places there are in Israel. Any suggestions?

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 4:42 pm
I think Tovei hair does a great job at this combination. It's somewhere in the middle. Can you go visit?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 5:37 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I think Tovei hair does a great job at this combination. It's somewhere in the middle. Can you go visit?

Unfortunately I don't live in Israel, but other family members can hopefully - Thank you for the feedback, it's a really good idea to go in person to get a better idea.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 6:47 pm
Re: unfortunately, Barbara Brown of aliya121 passed away.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jul 18 2023, 6:48 pm
Check out Beit Barth in Jerusalem. It might not be as chareidi as you want but it’s a wonderful place and there are different levels of assistance as needed.

jkw

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 12:46 am
See if they would like Protea Hills in Shoresh.
Not far from Jerusalem with lovely facilities. However there may be a waiting list...

achayl

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 1:10 am
We have a distant relative in Beit Horim Beit Moses, in Jerusalem.

She is very happy there. It's a beautiful facility too. It could be another place to
look into.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 6:18 am
Look at the table here: https://anglo-list.com/retirem.....lable

It specifies which places have assisted living or other kinds of facilities. Please be aware that if the person has dementia or alzheimer's, they will need a place that caters to that specifically, not just assisted living.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 6:21 am
See this list too https://aaci.org.il/retiring-in-israel-2/

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
there is someone who I have seen advertise who helps older people find appropriate placements in israel. her name is barbara brown, her website is aliyah121.com
I don't know her at all but it might be worthwhile to contact her.

So sorry to pass on the update but she was niftar. She was amazing,
Try her friend -Tova Rubinstein 972528819453

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:38 pm
Check out Hod Denya in Kiryat Yovel (south Jerusalem)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions