Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What age did your children learn to ride an bike?

what age did your children learn to ride a bike?
age 3  
 11%  [ 4 ]
age 4  
 16%  [ 6 ]
age 5  
 33%  [ 12 ]
age 6  
 13%  [ 5 ]
age 7+  
 19%  [ 7 ]
They dont ride  
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

3 little 1s

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:11 pm
Did the girls learn quicker or earlier than the boys or the other way round?

How long does it take?

Do your boys AND girls ride? Or just boys?

If girls, and u live in a community that you don't see girls riding, when did they stop?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:27 pm
I said 6, which was riding without training wheels. he had been riding since 3 or 4 with training wheels, and had a tricycle beforehand.

OP, you should probably specify in your OP if you mean riding 2 wheel, or not

3 little 1s

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:33 pm
I ment 2 wheels, thanks!

ray family

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 1:45 pm
my son learned how to ride a two wheeler when he was almost 5

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:03 pm
My son just got a 2-wheeler when we moved a few weeks ago (right after he turned 6). It has the training wheels attached, but he very well might learn by the end of the summer to ride without it. I think he can now that he has the opportunity to learn.
My 4 year old is too small even for the 12" -- does that make sense, or can the seat be lowered? His feet are supposed to touch the ground minimally when he straddles it, no?

curlytop

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:06 pm
Yup, makes sense. My son had a 10" training wheel bike, I believe only toys r us makes it. He was three when he learnt how to ride it, and the 12" was too big. Now my 3 year old daughter rides it with training wheels. Funny how the 2 inches really makes a difference.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:11 pm
when my son started at 6, almost 7, I was a bit nervous, since he was my first child and I wasnt sure what age was right, but he caught on very quickly. Maybe because he was a bit older then usual, he had more coordination.

I think it should be based on maturity, coordination, and ability to handle disappointments

ChaniH

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:55 pm
you can also get the 10"at walmart I think, but I answered 7 cuz thats when I leaned ( just got married)

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:08 pm
It is very easy to teach a kid to ride. I got my idea from here:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/eve.....ldren
There used to be a video to show their method which I don't see up now.

Anyway, what you do is take off the pedals (they come right off with pliers/wrench) so that the kid's feet dangle near the ground. Start him off with a push over and over, and he'll learn to steer and balance. This works because he won't need to worry about pedaling at the same time as learning to balance. Once he's riding pretty well, pushing off with his feet and catching himself too when he loses balance, you put the pedals back on, push him off like before, and he starts pedaling. Practice makes perfect, but according to the above link, most kids learn in one session.

I did this last summer with my very uncoordinated son who couldn't even pedal a trike and he learned to ride a two-wheeler within a week or two.

Found the video. (I think. I didn't watch it to make sure it's the one I was referring to but it looks like it.)

Last edited by gryp on Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

ilovestrollers

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:13 pm
My son learned this year and he is 7. We didn't get him a bike last year cuz we had just moved. He learned super quick - (told us to take off his training wheels and off he went without a hitch).

Alef Bais

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:21 pm
My son is almost 7 and he still uses training wheels - too scared without them. It's okay because my 4-year-old uses the same bike Smile

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:30 pm
My 5 & 3 year olds both got bikes for the first time this summer. I haven't taken off the training wheels yet; DS#1 isn't ready to ride without them and I'm not ready to run after DS#2 yet!

mfb

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:57 pm
my oldest learned when he was almost three, he was very determined and taught himself (he was begging for a 2 wheeler when he was 2.5 and got it for a prize when he got trained) my second a girl learned at 6.5

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 6:16 pm
my older son learned to ride without training wheels at 5 but my younger son is five now but can barely ride with training wheels. it all depends on the child.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 9:16 pm
Seven for ds1. I tried this year at six for the brother but he didn't pick up on it. I find that if the kid really wants and puts his head into it then it works well.

mom22qts

Post Tue, Aug 16 2011, 10:59 pm
My son learnt by 3- I had to teach him just one time and he got the hang of it right away on his own.

My daughter needed to be taught a lot more and she just started riding at 4. I found that she was more afraid of falling and would cry after each fall.

I think having a bike that allows the child to have his/her foot entirely on the floor is the most important.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 1:13 am
Rena got it when she was 5 (maybe just turned 6, I know she was in kindergarten).

Nechama got it about 6 months later.

Rivka (6) could probably do it if I bothered taking off the training wheels and spending an afternoon teaching her. She's not so interested though.

cm

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 11:29 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
His feet are supposed to touch the ground minimally when he straddles it, no?

Yes, they are! Even for adults, your toes must be able to touch the ground, or how would you stop without falling over? For young kids, it helps to be able to place feet flat on the ground.

I'm astonished at how many responded that their children learned to ride a bike before age seven. Wow. Without training wheels?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics