Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Americans keeping the 2nd day of yomtov in Israel

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 11:47 am
Let me preface this discussion to admit that I never was in E.Y for yomtov so I don’t know that much about it.

I understand that when Israelis come to Crown Heights, they come to the Rebbe, and that entails keeping both days of yomtov. No problem. I’ve also heard it said that “keeping the 2nd day” refers to the “place”, not the person, but I could be wrong on that……

Anyway, when DS was in Israel (only Shavous), I didn’t give it a 2nd though; I just assumed he did what everyone else did.

So – I’m walking with a woman from Long Island, I guess Modern Orthodox? whose son is learning in E.Y., and she was very adamant that he keep the 2nd day! That he’s not Israeli, he’s coming home after the year of learning, and that “they” all keep the 2nd day.

She then started lecturing ME that how could I not be strict in DS keeping what he comes from, etc. (if she only knew what DS puts us through on a daily basis, but that’s not for this discussion.)

I didn’t think it was a big deal – I figured the yeshiva would tell them what to do! Even THAT wasn’t good enough for her!

Ah, all kinds of people in the world…………….

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 11:50 am
as far as I know if an israeli comes here permennatly he has to keep the yom tov accordingly, if he comes here for a little bit like just to visit then he keeps only one day the way he would back home, I dont know about the other way around. by here I mean america

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 11:50 am
SaraG, as far as I know, Chabad is the only one who keeps 1 day of Yom Tov while in Israel.
so the argument she has with you is a bit silly. she goes by her Rav and you go by the way the Chabad Rabbonim pasken.
what is there even to argue about?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 11:52 am
There are lots and lots of different opinions amongst rabbonim on these shailas. So everyone needs to ask their own rav about their specific situation.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 11:52 am
She's a tough Russian woman anyway. I respect her for coming to this country, making something of herself, and being religious too.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:03 pm
SaraG wrote:
I understand that when Israelis come to Crown Heights, they come to the Rebbe, and that entails keeping both days of yomtov. No problem. I’ve also heard it said that “keeping the 2nd day” refers to the “place”, not the person, but I could be wrong on that……

Yes, that is the Alter Rebbe's position, and it has nothing to do with being by the Rebbe. If someone leaves EY for Crown Heights or Hong Kong, s/he still keeps two days outside of Eretz Yisroel.

Marion

Post Thu, Oct 26 2006, 12:50 pm
My understanding is as follows:

There are several opinions on how chutznikim should behave vis-a-vis Yomtov in Israel. One says that if you're going to be in Israel for all the chagim (Pesach, Shavuot, and Sukkot) then you may keep one day. Another says that even if you will be there for all the chagim, if it is your intention to return to chu"l (outside Israel) then you should keep 2 days. Yet another (possibly Chabad but I'm not sure) says basically "when in Rome, do as the Romans" or, in Israel keep one day and outside keep two.

As far as I know those are the 3 reliable psakim. Please don't ask me for sources as I don't have them readily available. This is just what I've heard from people who have each asked their rabbanim how to behave in different circumstances.

vicki

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 1:07 pm
I became Sephardic through marriage and was told by dh that Sephardim in Israel - but living outside - keep only one day. My Ashkenazi son from a previous marriage must keep two.
Makes for an interesting Yom Tov.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 1:19 pm
The first Shavous after I was married, we were in EY for a tour. We had to keep the second day of YomTov. Seminary students are considered to live in EY and only keep one day.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 1:42 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Seminary students are considered to live in EY and only keep one day.

Depends who you ask! Many seminary girls need to hunt for a place where they can have Yom Tov meals on the 2nd day!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics