Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Oven on yomtov/shabbat

amother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 5:41 pm
Hi, I'm a novice owner of shabbat mode oven, and wonder what people do with the oven for 2day yomtov followed by shabbat. My main oven has a digital display with shabbat mode where I can leave the oven on for 75hours. To be honest I only used the oven on shabbat once cuz I need something I can keep the food hot for shabbat lunch so I use hotplate.

For yomtov, I presume I can't adjust temperature because of digital display. So do I set it high enough so I can bake things for shabbat if I need to? Can I put the food in and out during yomtov?

It's Bosche oven if relevant.

chanahlady

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 11:20 pm
On my MIL's Shabbat-mode oven, it too has a digital readout. However, you can still change the temperature on YT because it uses a grama and the screen doesn't change at all.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:03 pm
chanahlady wrote:
On my MIL's Shabbat-mode oven, it too has a digital readout. However, you can still change the temperature on YT because it uses a grama and the screen doesn't change at all.

Please note that while the Star-K does say that for the ovens it provides a hechsher for that you can change the temperature on YT, almost all other major poskim disagree with that and do not allow temperature to be changed on YT.

chanahlady

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 9:53 pm
Here's guidance for using Shabbat mode ovens from the CRC:

http://www.crcweb.org/kosher_a.....e.php

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 11:32 pm
You may want to ask your rav, but I do follow the star k (and crc too, apparently?) ruling that the thermostat can be changed on chag on certain models. Check yours! On my GE oven, the display does not change and there is no beep when I change the thermostat. So I turn it up and down as needed, and leave it at a lower temp right before Shabbat.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 9:35 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
You may want to ask your rav, but I do follow the star k (and crc too, apparently?) ruling that the thermostat can be changed on chag on certain models. Check yours! On my GE oven, the display does not change and there is no beep when I change the thermostat. So I turn it up and down as needed, and leave it at a lower temp right before Shabbat.

That cRc article mentioned above does NOT say one can change the temperature on YT.

It says:
Some claim that since there’s a random delay between one’s turning adjusting the oven’s thermostat and the flame’s reaction, one may therefore adjust temperatures at will (on Yom Tov). However, this opinion is not widely accepted.

OP should please check with her LOR before assuming it is okay. I have researched this extensively and the Star-K is pretty much a daas yachid in this matter.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 9:58 am
OOTBubby wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

That cRc article mentioned above does NOT say one can change the temperature on YT.

It says:
Some claim that since there’s a random delay between one’s turning adjusting the oven’s thermostat and the flame’s reaction, one may therefore adjust temperatures at will (on Yom Tov). However, this opinion is not widely accepted.

OP should please check with her LOR before assuming it is okay. I have researched this extensively and the Star-K is pretty much a daas yachid in this matter.

Actually, you misunderstood. The paragraph you quoted is talking about adjusting the thermostat at will, meaning any time someone feels like. In the previous paragraph, they explain how to adjust the thermostat depending in whether the fire is on in the oven at the time. It seems they hold that its perfectly fine to follow those guidelines. Sorry, cant quote on my phone.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 10:12 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

It says:

Actually, you misunderstood. The paragraph you quoted is talking about adjusting the thermostat at will, meaning any time someone feels like. In the previous paragraph, they explain how to adjust the thermostat depending in whether the fire is on in the oven at the time. It seems they hold that its perfectly fine to follow those guidelines. Sorry, cant quote on my phone.

Actually the part I quoted is what is relevant to what OP said "However, you can still change the temperature on YT because it uses a grama and the screen doesn't change at all." Grama refers to the random delay discussed in the paragraph I've quoted.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 10:15 am
You should also take a look at this:
Poskim Ban Shabbos Mode Ovens
which discusses the problem at length.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 10:40 am
In conclusion, crc and star k hold that one may change the oven thermostat on chag on certified ovens by following certain guidelines. Other poskim disagree with this ruling.

You may choose to follow one of the above, do your own research into the matter, and/or CYLOR. Did I miss anything? Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen