Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Would this bother you as a paying guest?
1  2  Next

Acceptable or not?
I find half-used bottles left by a stranger revolting  
 79%  [ 58 ]
I couldn't care less  
 6%  [ 5 ]
I would use it, but I would think my hosts are cheapskates  
 13%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 73

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 8:16 am
We have a guest room that we also rent out as a quasi hotel room. The room has a refrigerator and an electric kettle and we also offer coffee and tea. When guests come, we stock the refrigerator with milk and mineral water.

Dh doesn't understand why I put in unopened bottles for each guest, even though people mostly use less than half of the contents. As a guest, I would find half-used bottles left by some strangers revolting and I would think anyone who gave his guests - especially paying ones! - half used bottles was a real cheapskate.

What's your opinion?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 8:20 am
I think you are right.

If I am visiting someone else, of course I don't mind pouring myself a drink from a bottle which was opened.

But when you come to the room as a paying guest, you kind of expect things to be arranged nicely for you. Like you wouldn't expect to have to make your own bed even if you do at home.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 8:25 am
If these people are paying to stay in the room and this is one of the amenities you offer, the bottles need to be closed. Who knows but the previous guest drank straight from the bottle? How are they supposed to know and they are paying for this. It would be like putting a dollar int he vending machine and getting an open soda bottle with a note that says "if you finish this you can have more, but the last guy did not finish so here's his leftovers".

If the guest is not paying you can do whatever you like but I would still not reuse bottles that went to other guests. People do drink from bottles. If DH is so concerned about the cost of buying those bottles I would instead place a nice pitcher that you can refill and some cups. People don't usually drink from pitchers.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 8:31 am
I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you offer in your guest room?
Is it a room totally not in the house?

I'm just wondering as we are thinking of doing this

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 9:07 am
I wouldn't use half-open bottles.

It's different if you're staying with someone you know and take from their fridge, but drinking something after a complete stranger is yucky. What if the person was sick and drank out of the bottle?

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 11:10 am
It would definitely bother me, and I am not a finicky person. Can you buy smaller bottles?

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 12:20 pm
Beverages? Must be new and sealed. Shampoo, lotion? If it's a big bottle, no, but if sample sizes, of course.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 12:24 pm
I don't even put started small water bottles on the Shabbos table for non-paying guests. They have no idea if someone drank from the bottle or not (and neither do I Confused ).

Simple1

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 12:25 pm
Why don't you buy individual water bottles and mini cartons of milk

willow

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:09 pm
Yes you must put in unopened bottles for paying guests.
The thought otherwise is gross.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:17 pm
Glad to hear that most people agree with me.

Small bottles of water cost more than big bottles, so we will be sticking with big bottles. I take the leftover milk and use it myself; it's the kind of container that's pretty hard to drink from. The water goes down the drain.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you offer in your guest room?
Is it a room totally not in the house?

I'm just wondering as we are thinking of doing this

The room is in our basement, but it's not accessible through our house. It has its own entrance. We have a room with two beds, two armchairs and end table and an eat-at table with two chairs. There's an alcove off the room with a closet and shelf space and also a small fridge/freezer, microwave, electric kettle and sink. Off that is a bathroom with shower. We provide linen, towels, toiletries, coffee and tea, and mineral water. Also sightseeing and shopping information.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 3:28 pm
Are the shampoos and stuff also sealed? Tissues too ?

Fox

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 4:07 pm
First of all, kudos to the OP for offering such a service. We've had so many threads over the years about people feeling pressured to host guests beyond their financial and/or comfort thresholds. This is a perfect solution, providing an economical alternative while preventing the situation to become burdensome. It would be great if more people used their spare space in this fashion.

That said, I agree with the majority of posters who felt that fresh everything is required for a paying guest. While it's true that the guests are coming to you through some kind of mutual connection, they are complete strangers to the next set of guests.

Besides, I think providing fresh bottles, etc., is a very nice marketing move. I realize you're not earning a parnosseh doing this, but I personally would be absolutely thrilled to have such an option, and there are plenty of places I might travel to more often and more enthusiastically if I didn't have to pony up the cash for a full-service hotel. I would like the mutual benefit of the arrangement -- while I might be able to stay with a friend or family member, nobody likes inconveniencing other people.

In fact, why don't you write a small guide to doing this, including your suggestions of what works; what doesn't; the pitfalls, etc. You could sell your guide for a nominal sum to other frum families with a spare room or finished basement.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 5:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Are the shampoos and stuff also sealed? Tissues too ?

Wrapped soap - fresh for each guest. Shampoo is a big bottle and no, not a new one for each person. I don't imagine anyone drank from the shampoo bottle. Also not a new hand soap dispenser for each person. Tissues aren't sealed. I have never been to a hotel where the tissue boxes are sealed, have you? They are always opened for the guests. Fresh rolls of toilet paper, or else I tear off a few squares if it's an almost new roll.

Fox, we are still relatively new to this room rental business but maybe in a couple of years when I have a better sense of what works and what doesn't I would think of writing a manual.

Fox

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Fox, we are still relatively new to this room rental business but maybe in a couple of years when I have a better sense of what works and what doesn't I would think of writing a manual.

Well, I think it's brilliant! Can I ask where you're located? I'm ready to start packing!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 4:19 am
We're in Europe, so you'll need to renew your passport first Wink

pinkbubbles

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:51 am
You could always get a mini water cooler or something like that.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Sep 10 2011, 6:32 pm
jawscience, just so you know, some people do drink from pitchers.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sat, Sep 10 2011, 11:06 pm
tsiggelle wrote:
jawscience, just so you know, some people do drink from pitchers.

How do they keep from spilling on themselves?

In any case, I was recommending this for the personal guests NOT the paying guest. I think it is very common to leave a pitcher of water out for friends who are coming over.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics