Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Seeking unusual Israeli baby girl name
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 1:37 pm
shalhevet wrote:

OP, are you in Israel or chul, because it makes a big difference? Names which might be unusual in America, might not be at all unusual here.

I agree. Names like Yahel and Hodaya seem pretty popular here but in America I'm sure it's rare.
We don't have the class list yet but off the top of my head, my kids' classmates are:
Maayan (3 of them)
Oshrat
Shachar
Hodaya
Noam (there's actually a "Noam ben" and a "Noam bat" in her class)
Irin (עירין)
Liran
Out of DD;s class of 36, there are 3 kids with Tanachi names - her, a Daniel and an Eliyahu

spring13

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 1:44 pm
naomi2 wrote:
almost all these names sound absolutely ridiculous! whats wrong with naming your little precious neshama after someone who was a tzadekket? names influence who the baby will be in a spiritual way, I wouldn't play with that

its a matter of personal taste; what inspires one person won't work for another, and vice versa. I don't see why a name's history ought to matter so much more than its meaning.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
I have an Israeli (sabra) cousin who named his daughter Noi (pronounced as one syllable - Noy).

I personally think it's weird, but you asked.
Noy and Noya are pretty common, and not at all new/modern - I knew Noyas growing up here 30 years ago. All I can think of is aNOYing.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 3:07 pm
I once met a Shacharit (if I remember correctly, her 2 sisters were Menucha and Meirav LOL ). I knew an Amit, met a moran and Liraz (sisters) and taught a Shilat and Bat-Noam (her sister is Eli - Noam).

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 3:24 pm
how about Bat-Ami?

libramom

Post Wed, Sep 14 2011, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
I once met a Shacharit (if I remember correctly, her 2 sisters were Menucha and Meirav LOL ). I knew an Amit, met a moran and Liraz (sisters) and taught a Shilat and Bat-Noam (her sister is Eli - Noam).

I also know a shilat and she told me it's rashei teyvos for "shiviti hashem l'negdi tamid"

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 15 2011, 2:38 am
amother wrote:

I have met that family!!
You don't have to answr this but did you teach them in Israel or abroad?

Tal

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 9:02 pm
Hi,

I agree that far fetched names could damage a child's self esteem unless there are others in her class with unusual names.

If you are having a girl around the chagim, how about Tzofiya (or zofiya) - for yom kippur.

Not very usual but still a name not an object.

Also Yiska from Tanach.

I hope you have an easy delivery and a healthy baby!

P.S. Are you sure it is a girl? I've heard of mistakes!!.

Yael3

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 11:27 pm
I like Vered (it's like a Shoshana but a more Israeli Hebrew Rose)

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 1:19 pm
lizard8 wrote:
Why are you choosing a 'new' name for your daughter?? Unless she will have really high self esteem and the name wont bother her, she may be tormented for life! I know many who changed their name once they were old enough, because they were so embarrassed. It may be pretty and unique to you, which I understand. To your daughters future classmates it might be different and strange.

You may be right, and have a most beautiful, independent, unique child. You have the right to think that my advice is totally off mark.

You can do what you want, just think about this advice.

Naaa, I don't agree with that- I have a very unusal name myself and was never bullied for it, let alone "tormented for life".

Adiya is an unusual israeli name. I also heard Eliana and Ayala.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 1:22 pm
libramom wrote:
amother wrote:

I also know a shilat and she told me it's rashei teyvos for "shiviti hashem l'negdi tamid"
Is her sister's name Tohar? If so, I know that family :-). Pronounced Shy-Lot and not Shee-Lot.

tsiggelle

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 4:19 pm
I know a shilat pronounced sheelut/sheelatt

amother

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 5:58 pm
Whatever you decide on you might want to consult a rav... Names have a lot of significance in Kabbalah and my understanding is that it can have an effect on the neshamah...

amother

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 3:21 am
I love the name Achishena
As in the concept from Yishayahu that Hashem will either bring the geula b'ito- in its predestined time, or achishena- hastened. My husband thinks its not a name but Im in love with how it sounds.
Anyone heard of this being used as a name?? Btw we live in Israel

shalhevet

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 5:00 am
amother wrote:
I love the name Achishena
As in the concept from Yishayahu that Hashem will either bring the geula b'ito- in its predestined time, or achishena- hastened. My husband thinks its not a name but Im in love with how it sounds.
Anyone heard of this being used as a name?? Btw we live in Israel

No, never.
Unless you plan on living among Carlebach-types in a hill-top yishuv, I'd avoid it.

invisiblecircus

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 7:22 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
I have an Israeli (sabra) cousin who named his daughter Noi (pronounced as one syllable - Noy).

I personally think it's weird, but you asked.
Noy and Noya are pretty common, and not at all new/modern - I knew Noyas growing up here 30 years ago. All I can think of is aNOYing.

Noia means "boredom" in Italian Exclamation

amother

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 8:03 am
I still think achishena is the most beautiful sounding name I dont know why ppl are against it.
For the time being I live in a yishuv near Jerusalem that is nowhere close to a hilltop! My husband reluctantly said he would be ok if it was to be a second name. It doesnt sound too well with our last name, though.....

rae gi

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 8:53 am
חבצלת

amother

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 10:24 am
shalhevet wrote:

PSA: Atara is NOT an Israeli name. It is Hebrew, but no one uses it here (except for Americans), probably because of other connontations it has.

Not so. I know many Israeli Atarot. As a matter of fact, one Israeli woman lost her sister named Atara and named her daughter the same.
I hear you about the connotation, but, as in English, some people don't (want to) associate the person with the word. They do what they want to do and gamble that as the child grows the association of the name with the word disappears.

For example, there are still many people called by the nickname for Richard.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:12 am
grace413 wrote:
Meital was popular 20 years ago but not so much now - I don't like the name. Envision the following conversation in the U.S. "What does your name mean?" "Dewdrop"

Tal is a unisex name.

I'm just bumping this because in my posts in Awesome otd/secular guy needed I was imagining a secular Israeli couple named Or and Tal and now I'm thinking if any of the Or's I know would be right for any of the Tal's (just looked through my FB friends, there are so many of them ... No one named Ortal unless you look at friends of friends)

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names