Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is Meron really at risk of becoming a secular tourist site?

kitov

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 12:37 pm
I just came across a leaflet "yelling" that Meron is at risk of the secular Israeli govt taking charge of the entire area and transforming it into a "global tourist site" with restaurants, theaters and entertainment.

Is it all true?

frumcouple1

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 7:39 pm
Unfortunaly, Yes. Not only is true, but I heard that its already in the works. A kapital Tehilim may help!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 6:51 am
I'm going to throw up!! Sad

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 7:11 am
Source, please. Why would anyone other than the religious show an interest in Meron?

abound

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 7:33 am
No its not. Basically there are two factions within the charedim that are fighting for control of the mountain, call it infighting if you will. Since nothing was getting done and the two sides were sabotaging the other groups effort of maintaining the place (1/2 million people come up on Lag Baomer so things need to happen) The government gave control to the Rabbi who is the Charedi Rav of the Kosel. The other sides sabotaged him too.
Now they are taking away full control from the 2 groups and may but regular ministry of Tourism officials to take care of the upkeep.
They are not talking about theaters and other secular tourist attractions. It ain't worth it, they have a nice business going on without it.
This is going on for a while now and I have not heard of any of these developments, though to the Kanaim, anyone other than the eidah taking care of it equals secularizing the place. Wink
Basically it is a case of infighting which means now because they could not get along they will have no control. They are trying some propaganda to say that the ministry of tourism will try to build up a tourist infrastructure. The government has not made any indication that they have such plans.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 1:52 pm
Why am I not worried? Whoever wants to daven at Meron can daven at Meron! Basically, the people who go the most are the Chassidim and the traditional and frum Sfardim. Charedi Litvish go too. So you think all of a sudden women in halter tops will be going there? What exactly is everyone afraid of? A decent bathroom being installed?

abound

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 2:28 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Why am I not worried? Whoever wants to daven at Meron can daven at Meron! Basically, the people who go the most are the Chassidim and the traditional and frum Sfardim. Charedi Litvish go too. So you think all of a sudden women in halter tops will be going there? What exactly is everyone afraid of? A decent bathroom being installed?

I'd love that! LOL

kitov

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 2:20 pm
What IS really going on?

http://www.vosizneias.com/9720.....ochai
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions