Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you travel through Istanbul to save money?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 11:12 am
Ruchel wrote:
Tamiri, I wouldn't say Turkey is (yet?) a life threat like Germany was. But you are right, we (I?) didn't hear of these horrible news!!
When the news is beyond awful, it's too late. And Sequoia, I, too, have a U.S. Passport and an non_Jewish (actually Persian) sounding last name - so? Once they target Jews of any nationality - that's it. They don't get my business. Why should you give them yours? To save money? Turkey is boycotting Israel and Israeli products. Threatening Israel with military action - so much so that it seems Israel has renewed a pact with Greece and Cyprus. Humiliating Jewish travelers - is THAT whom you wish to support?

http://www.israelifrontline.co......html

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 11:14 am
Tamiri, I find your surname Jewish (Mizrachi Jewish), sorry Wink

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 11:16 am
THat's the funny thing - it's NOT! It's three syllables: one from DH's paternal grandmother's first name and one from paternal grandfather's first nameand the last one an "EE" ending. We were CONSTANTLY solicited by Persians, by phone, mail and email, in the U.S. I still get the occasional email solicitation (I think) in Arabic letters shock
In any event, I don't think an American passport will save me, anywhere. WHoever wants to get me - will.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 11:18 am
I thought it was in the style of Davidi = descendant of David!

nylon

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 11:41 am
There are certainly people who could slip in without being noticed... as I say, my married name isn't a giveaway (my maiden name is on my passport, but it's one of those simplified ones that you only guess if you know about Jewish names), I have a UK passport (maybe even better than American for some countries), and I don't dress in a particularly distinctive way.

For me, it would not be about how I would be treated personally, but that I would be taking advantage of that situation. If I HAD to do it I would, but not just to save a little money.

chabadnikit

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 2:31 pm
it's funny cuz we have an arabic s0unding Iast name but we I00k pretty ethnicaIIy jewish/ s0 in airp0rts aII ar0und the w0rKd we get heId up cuz either they think we are terrr0rists 0r spies/

Aaliyah

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 4:52 pm
OP here. Thanks all for your answers. No shortage of strong opinions on this site Wink Given the discussion here, I'll find a different route!

rowo

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 5:11 pm
We are dealing with the same issue now. My husbands brother is getting married in e'y and that is by far the cheapest. (along with emirates etc which is totally out of the question)?
My in laws visited the jewish community there a few years ago and say it's fine, but I really don't feel comfortable with the idea at all.
After recent events my husband is slowly realizing that too. Even though it would save us a lot

yentadevosha

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 7:08 pm
rowo wrote:
We are dealing with the same issue now. My husbands brother is getting married in e'y and that is by far the cheapest. (along with emirates etc which is totally out of the question)?
My in laws visited the jewish community there a few years ago and say it's fine, but I really don't feel comfortable with the idea at all.
After recent events my husband is slowly realizing that too. Even though it would save us a lot

I was considering a trip to Israel for sukkos with all my kids. One of the reasons I scratced the plans was bec. we would be making a stopover in Turkey and it was making me extremely nervous.

eschaya

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 8:42 pm
Dh and I did it this summer... it was a few hundred dollars cheaper than any other airline and I couldn't have made it to sil's wedding otherwise. I was nervous, but there was really no reason to have been. I felt safe, everyone was courteous, and we stayed in the airport the entire time.

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 8:52 pm
eschaya wrote:
Dh and I did it this summer... it was a few hundred dollars cheaper than any other airline and I couldn't have made it to sil's wedding otherwise. I was nervous, but there was really no reason to have been. I felt safe, everyone was courteous, and we stayed in the airport the entire time.

My experiences exactly.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2011, 8:54 pm
I'm with Tamiri. Considering how those other Jewish travellers were treated recently, I will not go to Turkey.

In general, I do not spend my shekels in places that are anti-Israeli (although that is limiting my travels more and more these days).

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:37 am
Jewish communities in anti Israel countries (non dangerous ones!) davka need our visits and money...

Skippy!!

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:34 am
no

sarahd

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:19 am
Ruchel wrote:
Jewish communities in anti Israel countries (non dangerous ones!) davka need our visits and money...

Flying Turkish Airlines is not going to help the Jewish community in any way.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:20 am
I said visiting Wink

vicki

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 11:43 am
No. I am not going through Turkey.
I spent a few hundred extra to avoid it though I would have loved to save the money.

Fox

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 12:31 pm
sequoia wrote:
eschaya wrote:

My experiences exactly.

Members of my family have traveled on Turkish Airlines a number of times in the past 2 years, including the most recent trip made by my 18-year-old son for Elul zman (who is most definitely identifiably Jewish). As EsChaya and Sequoia experienced, everyone was very polite. Their layovers were too long to stay in the airport, so they took the shuttle to the Istanbul Marriott, where they were invariably treated like royalty.

Agreed, there may be philosophic reasons not to give business to Turkish-owned businesses, and given current tensions, the situation is unpredictable. But so far, Turkish Airlines seems to be putting profits before politics.

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 12:47 pm
What do you guys expect dangerous to feel like?

People in Sinai are perfectly nice and polite and treat you well. Until they don't.

Ramallah feels like a perfectly safe place to visit.

Many terrorists were perfectly civil, even friendly employees or coworkers to Jews, until they weren't.

Walking home alone at 2am, hitchhiking, even drunk driving, all work out fine for most of the people most of the time.

The point being - "dangerous" doesn't mean that everyone will be skulking in corners sharpening their knives and glaring at you. It means more, the number of people who would like to harm you is higher, and/or their ability to do so is greater. You may not actually encounter any of those people. Or maybe you do, but they don't know who you are. Or you do, but they don't want to attack at that particular time. It might feel absolutely fine.

That doesn't make it any less dangerous.

Whether it's worth the risk is up to each person individually.

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 12:53 pm
I've been to Sinai, back in 2004. Everyone was VERY nice.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics