Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Gift for Succos for Son's Teacher

amother

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 8:55 pm
It was suggested to us by my son's principal that we show extra appreciation to his teacher throughout the year because (long story short) he had the choice of whether to have ds in his class or not and despite the problems it may pose down the line he chose to rise to the challenge. The principal mentioned that while it was nice of the teacher to make this decision, it will work better if we show how appreciative we are and back him up. One thing he said as an example was, "Thank him nicely when you call about your son, maybe send a bottle of wine for Succos," and then the conversation continued onto other things.

We want to show our appreciation to the teacher, but I never heard of sending a bottle of wine for Succos.

What if the teacher isn't home for Y"T? Who delivers it, the store or our kid?

What's a decent amount of money to spend on it? Do we include a card? Won't it be perceived as kissing up?

I know, I know, there are bigger problems out there and I thank H-shem that right now this is the only thing I need to be busy with, but do you all think it's weird to send a gift? Should we sent money? I'm not so comfortable with that so early in the year; nothing's happening yet.

Amother because his wife might lurk here in the depths of imamother.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 12:54 am
bump

pickle

Post Mon, Oct 10 2011, 1:08 am
I think that is very thoughtful and its even better that nothing has happened yet. I don't think it has to cost a lot of money. As a teacher I can tell you that while its nice to get end of the year presents, there is something extra nice about parents who give little presents during the year. One year I got a little present from one parent for rosh hashana. I was so surprised and I thought it was very sweet. It didn't cost them more than $5, if even that much but it meant much more to me. It felt good to be appreciated during the year and not just at the end like is usual.

I think a bottle of wine or any other nice little thing is fine sent with a note saying how much you appreciate him being yours son's rebbi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette