Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha and AMI Sukkos editions
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Oct 16 2011, 11:42 pm
nechami1 wrote:
Why on earth has the main Mishpacha become such heavy reading lately? Its very nice to read all about our gedolim, chachomim etc but does the WHOLE magazine have to be full of this? Ever since they changed the layout the Mishpacha has been heavy going. Anyone else feel the same way?

Totally agree. Maybe they're running out of topics, so they have to dig deeper into history? The main Mishpacha has become dry and boring over the past few months.

I'm at a point where I'd stop buying Mishpacha as Ami is more interesting, but my kids love both of their Junior sections, so I'll keep buying both!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 12:09 am
well, well well, sorry for not posting a picture _ I was SO BUSY on erev YT, I didnt even take out my computer for like 2 days. I bought all four puglications, but so far all I read were the story supplements from Binah, Mishpacha, ami and Hamodia, and the entire Mishpacha from cover to cover. So, so far, my impressions are that The Mishpacha and Hamodia story supplements were incredible, Binah's stories were a little more predictable, forgettable, like an extension of their usual fiction stories int he magazine. Ami's were the darkest; some of them were downright disturbing and didnt even have an ending. but they were riveting. Mishpacha in general had SO MUCH TO READ - how can you say they were boring??? The chasidishe levush feature, Boyan, Belz, Young Israel, The stories behind famous songs, they had me crying and singing! A NEW DOV HALLER SERIAL! It was like five magazines in one! I loved the article about choir parents in the Family first. I loved A face & A Place, with the stories about the bakery in antwerp, golds seforim store in australia, etc, it was so interesting.

saving Ami and binah to read later; I'm still catching up on my back-reading, I'm finally up to the week before Rosh Hashana!!! I'm so behind...

bashinda

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 12:51 am
I think Mama Bear can be forgiven for being too busy to post a picture! She's a busy mama bear! No pressure. Very Happy Gut Moed and Gut Yuntiff everyone!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 1:32 am
delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 15 2020, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 11:10 am
I'm so annoyed with Ami. We still didn't get it here in Chicago. Didn't come by home delivery as it should and it isn't in the stores. They didn't even come out with a YK issue so they had an extra week to get this one out. It is so annoying. Who wants to read the Sukkos issue a week later (assuming it even comes then).

Why can't they get their act together.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 11:12 am
OOT Bubby, I called Kol Tuv and they sold out the day they came. DH is so upset he wanted to read the article about R Aharon Soleveitichik so badly. I looked in every store and could not find a copy.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 11:16 am
mha3484 wrote:
OOT Bubby, I called Kol Tuv and they sold out the day they came. DH is so upset he wanted to read the article about R Aharon Soleveitichik so badly. I looked in every store and could not find a copy.

I was told they never got any to start with -- you might not have been given the right info -- the evidence looks like it never got here. The same guy delivers it to all the stores and does the home delivery, so it is always either all or nothing.

I do intend to call Ami on Monday to tell them what I think of this. If they sell subscriptions they need to be able to fill them properly.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 11:19 am
Would you please let me know what they say? We were really bummed out. DH so rarely asks for stuff like that so I felt so bad we couldn't get a copy. Our rav is Rav Ahrons son so its particularly interesting.

RHALL

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 11:30 am
I am reading these reviews and feel like I read different magazines then you people. I thought Mishpacha was amazing! Loved the chasidishe clothing feature and the music one was the type that I wanted never to end.

Of course, the gedolim stuff, Ponevezh, Belz and all the rest blew my husband and boys away and I enjoyed them too.

The choir moms was great and so was Rebbetzin Lopian, highlight of my yom tov.

Both Ami and Mishpacha had great story supplements, though in different ways, I guess according to their editorial views.

I liked Ami Living too.

Yated was chock full of interesting things and Hamodia also put themselves out.

Binah was the leader, IMHO, in the tween market.

All around, lots of good stuff to read from everyone.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Oct 19 2011, 11:37 am
mha3484 wrote:
Would you please let me know what they say? We were really bummed out. DH so rarely asks for stuff like that so I felt so bad we couldn't get a copy. Our rav is Rav Ahrons son so its particularly interesting.

Certainly. If mine ever comes (this is a subscription) I will try to scan the article for you. We are also very interested in the article as we knew Rav Ahron and his Rebetzin well. During one period as a bochur, my DH was Rav Ahron's baal agalah.

September June

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 2:12 am
I also have an Ami subscription and didn't get it either (I'm not in Chicago). I was annoyed too until I realized that my subscription may have expired. Whoops!

Edited to update subscription info

Last edited by September June on Mon, Oct 24 2011, 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:15 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
Tova,

I read the article with mixed emotions. I've seen problems with Bais Dins from personal experience but I think he was a bit extreme generalizing that all of them are like that...
And I wondered if every sentence had to be written as it was said.

I wonder if he read it. Did anyone see the apology to R' Shmuel Kamenetzky on the letters page?

No. Did I miss something? Was it the same issue?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:29 am
Ode to Ami:

How do you disturb me? Let me count the ways.

Story supplement: ok, so the first story wasn't so compelling but the Yitta Halberstam story was downright disturbing. Like the Rochelle Krich story, much more fun and cathartic to write than to read. Maybe there's a part of me that wants everything to be Flower Queen Ice cream Flower and Hooray and Sunny (I LOVED the intro the Mishpacha fiction section about borrowing happy endings, I admit it), I have to be honest, but that story was disturbing. Especially the footnote. What was the point about bringing up a story from 15 years ago? I've had (a few, very few) experiences with great people that left me less than uplifted and I got over it, was dan lekaf zechus and respect them again, and don't broadcast them. For that alone I kept it out of my youngest's hands.

The Papenheim story added nothing to the Succos issue. When I mentioned this to my teenage son he said, if I don't think it belonged in the Succos issue do I really mean it didn't belong in any issue? I told him I would think about it, probably ok in another issue though it should have been better proofed. (Speaking of which, my favorite, in a junior supplement not necessarily in the subject line: my husband asked one of my younger kids, who's Adam Harrison? It took even me a minute to get this. It said Adam Haris-hon, hyphenated between the s and the h. When I told my son to imagine the hyphen between the I and the s he got it.)

And possibly topping all this was the Succos story at the end of AMI Living, about the girl who built the succah with her father and little sister and brother. The women were kicked out the first night because of a guest. The mother at first SEEMED unperturbed but in the end, it was the THREE of them sitting inside, utterly dejected.

So like I said, you all know I'm a bit Pollyannadik. I know that real life isn't so neatly tied up. But had the mother truly stayed unperturbed, I could have handled it. Or had there been some other closure somehow. But like this, I wonder. What was that little girl's next Succos like? Did she grow up with a chip on her shoulder against Yiddishkeit? I want to know the rest of the story.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:56 am
September June wrote:
I also have an Ami subscription and didn't get it either (I'm not in Chicago). I was annoyed too.

Do you mind mentioning where you're located (or at least whether or not you're in the NY/NJ area)?

I wonder if anyone got their subscriptions outside of NY/NJ?

I really don't understand what there problem is. I never have a problem with my subscriptions to Mishpacha, Binah or Hamodia and I have constant problems with Ami.

Please, if you didn't get it, call them tomorrow (PM me if you need the phone number) and complain!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 11:01 am
BTW, no time to elaborate now but I really have to mention all the things I do like about AMI, like Rabbi Taub's column, Rabbi Kamenetsky unplugged, all the fine articles like the one on Simcha Fridman, and I wasn't so disturbed by Rabbi Schachter because he has enough of a reputation that I figured he knew exactly what he was saying. Oh, and the article on Rav Ahron Soloveitchik, more but got to go.

Tova

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 12:21 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Ode to Ami:

How do you disturb me? Let me count the ways.

Story supplement: ok, so the first story wasn't so compelling but the Yitta Halberstam story was downright disturbing. Like the Rochelle Krich story, much more fun and cathartic to write than to read. Maybe there's a part of me that wants everything to be Flower Queen Ice cream Flower and Hooray and Sunny (I LOVED the intro the Mishpacha fiction section about borrowing happy endings, I admit it), I have to be honest, but that story was disturbing. Especially the footnote. What was the point about bringing up a story from 15 years ago? I've had (a few, very few) experiences with great people that left me less than uplifted and I got over it, was dan lekaf zechus and respect them again, and don't broadcast them. For that alone I kept it out of my youngest's hands.

The Papenheim story added nothing to the Succos issue. When I mentioned this to my teenage son he said, if I don't think it belonged in the Succos issue do I really mean it didn't belong in any issue? I told him I would think about it, probably ok in another issue though it should have been better proofed. (Speaking of which, my favorite, in a junior supplement not necessarily in the subject line: my husband asked one of my younger kids, who's Adam Harrison? It took even me a minute to get this. It said Adam Haris-hon, hyphenated between the s and the h. When I told my son to imagine the hyphen between the I and the s he got it.)

And possibly topping all this was the Succos story at the end of AMI Living, about the girl who built the succah with her father and little sister and brother. The women were kicked out the first night because of a guest. The mother at first SEEMED unperturbed but in the end, it was the THREE of them sitting inside, utterly dejected.

So like I said, you all know I'm a bit Pollyannadik. I know that real life isn't so neatly tied up. But had the mother truly stayed unperturbed, I could have handled it. Or had there been some other closure somehow. But like this, I wonder. What was that little girl's next Succos like? Did she grow up with a chip on her shoulder against Yiddishkeit? I want to know the rest of the story.

Regarding Yitta Halberstam's story - my first thought was - why didn't the "girls" take the initiative and follow up w/ the Rav? Why didn't they keep their situations front and center and been more proactive?

What did you think about the story of the husband who (as I understood it) faked his and the child's disappearance so the mother would be out of their lives? How could that happen? And especially after he became a BT why didn't he search for his ex-wife? This story left me so confused.

Regarding the sweet little girl who couldn't sit in the Sukkah because the guest doesn't eat w/ "strange" girls - HATED that story. I can't even picture growing up in a family where that would happen.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 12:28 pm
As I read this thread I just keep getting more and more annoyed that I didn't receive my subscription copy of the Ami Sukkos issue. I had been told it wasn't in the stores here (and the same person delivers it to the stores and does the home delivery), but today I was in one of the stores and saw they had copies there! I was very tempted to buy one, but I pay a lot less than the store price for my subscription copy and Ami is obligated to provide me one.

I will be calling them tomorrow, but this situation just really gets me annoyed (especially since I've never had a problem with my subscriptions of Mishpacha, Binah & Hamodia which are all delivered by the same delivery person that delivers Ami).

Tova

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 12:35 pm
OOTBubby - I would be very annoyed if I were you too. Sorry if our discussion is making you more annoyed :-( I'm sure they'll send you the missed magazine, hopefully sooner rather than later. Interestingly enough, I am taking a flight out to Chicago this afternoon and would be happy to bring the Sukkos Ami's if you would want to pick it up from my hotel in Itasca (no clue how far away from the frum community it is, but about 12 minutes from O'Hare airport). You are probably better off waiting for your own copies, though, as mine are - shall we say - a bit torn up from being left around the kids.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 12:41 pm
Tova wrote:
OOTBubby - I would be very annoyed if I were you too. Sorry if our discussion is making you more annoyed :-( I'm sure they'll send you the missed magazine, hopefully sooner rather than later. Interestingly enough, I am taking a flight out to Chicago this afternoon and would be happy to bring the Sukkos Ami's if you would want to pick it up from my hotel in Itasca (no clue how far away from the frum community it is, but about 12 minutes from O'Hare airport). You are probably better off waiting for your own copies, though, as mine are - shall we say - a bit torn up from being left around the kids.

That's so sweet of you to offer, but it isn't necessary. And, FYI, Itasca is no where near the frum community.

However, can we Chicagoans be of any service to you while you're here? Please let me know if you need anything. Hae a wonderful trip.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 12:51 pm
[quote="Tova"]

What did you think about the story of the husband who (as I understood it) faked his and the child's disappearance so the mother would be out of their lives? How could that happen? And especially after he became a BT why didn't he search for his ex-wife? This story left me so confused.]

Like I said, I didn't think it was the greatest written story. And anyway, haven't you heard you don't ask questions on a maaseh? Wink (That's the editor's job.)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room