Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
So what would YOU like as a gift from EY?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 3:45 am
We are planning a trip to the US in the next few weeks and are trying to think what to bring as a gift to our hosts. We will probably be staying with family in Lakewood (very yeshivish family) maybe also some left wing wealthy MO relatives in the NY area, and modern yeshivish relatives OOT.
If you belong to any of these categories or even if you don't but have an opinion I'd love to hear what sort of thing you'd appreciate.
We were thinking along the lines of a good Israeli wine (maybe from Chevron etc.)
Maybe something for the kids?

Didi

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 5:48 am
Depending on how much you are looking to spend......my mother took back plata covers she had never seen them before. A nice Havdalah Candle

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 6:13 am
I'd say about 80 NIS more or less.

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 7:00 am
a name plate for their door? you can get it in Hebrew, English or both.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 5:07 pm
Don't know whether they still make it or not, but G.L.A.S (accessory and homeware chains) used to make a lovely glass decorative plates. I quite like havdalah candle idea--everyone uses them and I especially like the beeswax one or the carved/shaved ones. Wine is personal--depends on how much the host appreciate (eg it would be a waste if you give someoen who only drink Manischevitz concord a bottle of expensive Castel...) Just curious what kind of wine you can get under NIS80, and if it's better than californian wine.

Other gifts I received from Israeli friends/family and enjoyed are silk challah cover (embroided/patchwork ones), cooking books, Wisotzky's tea box (kids going crazy over rock sugar stiring sticks), boxes of medjoul dates, hamza-shaped trivet.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 5:17 pm
My husband goes to Israel every summer, and last summer he brought me back a beautiful washing cup- I think it's ceramic, and it has a beautiful ornate design all around. I think that is something that just about everyone will appreciate.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 5:21 pm
We bought in shuk machne yehuda a magnificent mezuzah cover.

mom2be1

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 5:23 pm
All of the above gifts were great ideas. I just saw in someones house beautiful glass cups with silver overlay for a leichter. I x know how much it costs but thats something Ive never seen and would like as a gift!

frumshopper

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 6:07 pm
I agree about a nice havdala candle - they come in all sizes/prices and don't take up that much space and are definitely something everyone will use.

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 23 2011, 6:27 pm
They have these metal pomegranate-shaped house items now - I've seen trivets and napkin holders, which are really nice.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 12:28 am
I'll be honest with you. I love stuff from EY because it's from EY. It really doesn't matter what it is. I even love the colorful little paper bags things come in. I love the most pedestrian everyday things: chewing gum, candy and halvah. Dried fruits. Olive oil, spices and spice mixes. Face or bath soap, skin lotion, mouthwash, bath powder. Headscarves. Wall hangings. Tablecloths. Kippot. Tzitzis. Olivewood tzedaka boxes. Sabra liqueur, oh yeah! Heck, I'd be pleased with a couple of cans of fruit nectar. All assuming they are in fact totzeret haaretz and not imported to Israel from elsewhere. Otherwise what's the point?

There's only one thing anyone could bring me from EY that I would not appreciate, and that's Bissli and similar snacks, which, despite being from EY, are pure junk with zero redeeming value.

But that's just me. I'm not your relatives.

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 2:35 am
We've given Israel-made foldable flower vases before. They're pretty well received since a vase is a nice gift and here's one that won't break, is easy to store, and is Israeli to boot.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 3:00 am
I am OP, thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of a havdala candle. I guess if they don't need one right away they're going to need it sometime, right?
I'm a bit hesitant about home decor, because that's really a matter of personal taste.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
I am OP, thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of a havdala candle. I guess if they don't need one right away they're going to need it sometime, right?
I'm a bit hesitant about home decor, because that's really a matter of personal taste.
Right. Or they can put it away for Pesach, like we did.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 10:33 pm
I also was going to say fancy washing cups. You can get nice ones in Geula for cheap. Everyone uses them and lots of times we break the nice ones and have the cheap plastic ones instead.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 4:23 pm
zaq wrote:
There's only one thing anyone could bring me from EY that I would not appreciate, and that's Bissli and similar snacks, which, despite being from EY, are pure junk with zero redeeming value.

But that's just me. I'm not your relatives.

hey, thanks... (no worries, I don't take it personally). ;-)

freidasima

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 4:54 pm
If you want to spend a bit more you can get the "pish cups" as my friends call them, the big winecup in the holder that when you pour in goes into 8 smaller cups and each one gets enough for a brocho, it's cute, and families with lots of kids or lots of guests find them really nice, they have them not in silver so it is not that expensive.

cl

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 4:56 pm
I want a challa board, I know I can buy one here but its still a nice gift

cl

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 5:01 pm
Teomima wrote:
We've given Israel-made foldable flower vases before. They're pretty well received since a vase is a nice gift and here's one that won't break, is easy to store, and is Israeli to boot.

I just looked at the link u posted, they r so cool! r they made of plastic?
where in israel can u buy them n how much do they cost?

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 5:10 pm
freidasima wrote:
If you want to spend a bit more you can get the "pish cups" as my friends call them, the big winecup in the holder that when you pour in goes into 8 smaller cups and each one gets enough for a brocho, it's cute, and families with lots of kids or lots of guests find them really nice, they have them not in silver so it is not that expensive.

I used to like those things (they're called kiddush fountains) until I read this. I may never take kiddush from one again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics